E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #161
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Its pretty common. I have the Bentley for my '64-67 VW buses, same thing. Not even a table of contents, so people had to make one to post on another forum. Haynes and Chilton are pretty good about bolt sizes, but remember: these are Service manuals. They are not training manuals for teaching people who have no experience working on cars. Only guides for disassembly and assembly. They will not, and should not have all that information as stated above.

Last edited by Bobby330xi; 05-29-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #162
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneunder View Post
So smacking it into place is normal then....whew.
yeah I was just going to ask this. I had to smack the hell out of it to get it back on. Anyone else have input on that? It IS normal? I'm gonna have to change out my other boot b/c I only did the one when it broke should have just gone ahead and done both
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #163
Itadienekes

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Yup. Smack the hell out of it to get it out, smack the hell out of it to get it back in, no worries. Just use good common engineering sense and smack applying only directional force in the direction you want the thing to slide, try not to torque anything or smack in places that applies levered forces in the wrong direction.
Itadienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #164
Rickna

My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
yeah I was just going to ask this. I had to smack the hell out of it to get it back on. Anyone else have input on that? It IS normal? I'm gonna have to change out my other boot b/c I only did the one when it broke should have just gone ahead and done both
I had to smack the A1Cardone in, but not the GKN.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #165
325xi04

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Radial Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominantset View Post
I purchased the carrier assembly, which came with a seal and bearing from ECS. To clarify, I should remove the red plastic piece before install?

Edit: I found the answer on the E90 forums. Remove the red plastic.

I also did notch the new CV.
FURTHER ANSWER:
Remove the protective red plastic. Install Seal. Coat with oil. Place protective red plastic back on seal. Insert shaft. Cut protective red plastic off with shaft mostly inserted.

EXCERPT FROM BMW TIS - 31 60 000 Removing and installing left or right output shaft

"Caution!
Replace radial seal on output shaft.
Lever radial seal (1) with a screwdriver (2) out of front axle differential housing (3) or bearing pedestal.
Remove protective sleeve (2) from radial seal (1)." See Pic 1
"Note:
New radial seal (1) is equipped with a protective sleeve (2).
The protective sleeve prevents the sealing lip from being damaged when the output shaft is inserted into the front axle differential.

Drive radial seal firmly home with special tool 31 5 130 .
Coat sealing lips of new radial seal with transmission fluid.
Carefully insert protective sleeve into radial seal.
Note:
Withdraw protective sleeve (1) from radial seal before inserting output shaft as far as it will go.
" See Pic 2
"Cut open protective sleeve and remove."

I've read a few posts about these seals failing and this may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	464502   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	464503  
325xi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #166
keyanm

My Ride: 2002 325xi
how to get the axle out of the differential?

Do I put the pry bar on the square part of the axle (left) or the round part that is right after the differential? Is the round part a seal?

Anyway, after a lot of struggle, the square part has moved by 2mm! and that's it! I see that BMW has a special too for that, but I don't have that.
Also, in general, everything has been so stuck so far. The young guy in the video says push out the axle from the spindle with a chisel and hammer. yeah right! I had to use a 6lb sledge hammer, and it's not even rusted. If the same force is required to pull the darn thing out, then I'm in sh#t!
keyanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #167
76m2002

My Ride: 2001 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Great write-up. The only suggestion I would make is that some axles are stubborn and difficult to get out of the diff.
I found this tool from Steck Tools (71410 ). Makes it much easier.

I've got this tool, but the subframe is in the way. Were you able to use this on the 325xi passenger side axle?
76m2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #168
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76m2002 View Post
I've got this tool, but the subframe is in the way. Were you able to use this on the 325xi passenger side axle?
Yes, using just one of the forks. A couple of good raps with a hammer and the axle came free.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #169
phug

My Ride: 323i Wagon
There are great descriptions of the work needed. Could anyone post pics or a video of their work? There is the FCP video which is informative but on the install which is what folks are having questions on please share some pics. Or better yet if anyone have a front diff out of a car on a bench please take some pics of the process and post. BMPdesign does a good job of this on some of their videos.

Thx
phug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #170
Speed Density

My Ride: 2001 XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itadienekes View Post
Yup. Smack the hell out of it to get it out, smack the hell out of it to get it back in, no worries. Just use good common engineering sense and smack applying only directional force in the direction you want the thing to slide, try not to torque anything or smack in places that applies levered forces in the wrong direction.
I just walked back inside from doing my drivers side. You need to commit and hammer it home when its in there. Just dont bash the inner spline by using the shaft and yoke.
Speed Density is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #171
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi04 View Post
FURTHER ANSWER:
Remove the protective red plastic. Install Seal. Coat with oil. Place protective red plastic back on seal. Insert shaft. Cut protective red plastic off with shaft mostly inserted.

EXCERPT FROM BMW TIS - 31 60 000 Removing and installing left or right output shaft

"Caution!
Replace radial seal on output shaft.
Lever radial seal (1) with a screwdriver (2) out of front axle differential housing (3) or bearing pedestal.
Remove protective sleeve (2) from radial seal (1)." See Pic 1
"Note:
New radial seal (1) is equipped with a protective sleeve (2).
The protective sleeve prevents the sealing lip from being damaged when the output shaft is inserted into the front axle differential.

Drive radial seal firmly home with special tool 31 5 130 .
Coat sealing lips of new radial seal with transmission fluid.
Carefully insert protective sleeve into radial seal.
Note:
Withdraw protective sleeve (1) from radial seal before inserting output shaft as far as it will go.
" See Pic 2
"Cut open protective sleeve and remove."

I've read a few posts about these seals failing and this may help.
I only replaced my seals the second time my boots broke. It's super awkward to do, at least if you're in your driveway with jack stands. Finding the appropriate tool to cut off the protective sleeve with the axle 5/6ths of the way in is mad hard. Does anyone else have input on this? For the second one I ended up taking off the sleeve before hand. Haven't seen any leakage on either one. Honestly, it seemed like removing it before hand was better than shimmying it around forcefully to cut it with the axle in. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #172
Iljalop

My Ride: E46 325xi
Hello guys.
I have a problem with a diagnostics. I have a strange metall drum sound from the front of my 325xi 2003 when I switch a gear from R to D and from D to R. And some times my car is moving forward a little bit on the flat street when I switch a gear from R to P. Could it be an axle problem?
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #173
botaman

My Ride: 330xi/5 530/5SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iljalop View Post
Hello guys.
I have a problem with a diagnostics. I have a strange metall drum sound from the front of my 325xi 2003 when I switch a gear from R to D and from D to R. And some times my car is moving forward a little bit on the flat street when I switch a gear from R to P. Could it be an axle problem?
Thanks.
Hard to say but my guts instance tells me you should check your exhaust hanger bracket is coming loose.
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #174
Iljalop

My Ride: E46 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by botaman View Post
Hard to say but my guts instance tells me you should check your exhaust hanger bracket is coming loose.
I don't have a lift to check it. But I don't think that could be exhaust because nothing happens when I drive a car...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #175
allthem

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by botaman View Post
I have attached some pix for you to see how to remove the axle spline from the hub.
From the differential is a lot easier. I used a long and bend screw driver from Harbor Freight, I wedged it some how and wacked with a good size hamer.
You can re-use the OEM cir-clips.
You also need to replace the radial seals, if you don't you may find a leak later.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...9&d=1257909975

i have had both my axles fail, replace my passenger side without a single problem. moved on to the drivers, and can not get it to break loose from the hub! i even bent and broke my punch in the process! this thing is stuck!

would the tool in the link above be of any help with this? if so who makes it? i have found similar ones but they dont fit. and yes i have been searching, but i think my brain is rattled from all the beating i have given this thing.

also open to any other suggestions.

thanks.

EDIT: think i might have found the tool? back to the parts store.

Last edited by allthem; 03-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
allthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #176
allthem

OK i got the tool, took awhile to find it, the way auto zone had it in their system.

i have it mounted, and have tightened it, and it is still not budging. this is with using a impact wrench! should i try a breaker bar? im really scared that i may cause more damage to something else? i have never seen anything stuck like this. wondering if im going to have to take the whole knuckle off and have this pressed out somehow.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #177
linuxfreakus

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I just attempted my front drivers side axle... got the whole thing apart and was making great time until it came time to try removing the old axle from the hub... I removed the axle nut no problem, and then I tried tapping the spline out and that sucker was not moving... hammered on my steel punch centered on the spline until end of the punch was mushroomed... it moved maybe 1 cm. Got a heavy duty puller from the auto parts store... tightened that sucker down until it wouldn't turn any further, even using a 36" breaker bar with a long cheater and eventually busted a socket... that thing is NOT moving

I don't know why it moved 1 cm but then the puller couldn't make it move any further. At my wits end I finally called AAA and had it towed to a shop (didn't want to try driving with the axle not fully seated no matter how seized up it seems). We'll see what they can do with it... perhaps they'll remove the entire hub and press it out. I didn't think this would be too bad since I've read so many accounts of people DIY'ing this job.

Last edited by linuxfreakus; 03-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
linuxfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #178
allthem

^ whats the odd on this happening to two of us in the same week? keep us posted please.

i think im taking a break from working on the car this weekend, the past two have been nothing but weird problems, besides 12HR at Sebring will probably take up some time :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #179
Rickna

Could be the axle & hub splines are rusted together. Probably taking the hub & axle out and pressing the the axle through hub will work.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #180
allthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Could be the axle & hub splines are rusted together. Probably taking the hub & axle out and pressing the the axle through hub will work.
Thanks Rickna, that's what I'm thinking of doing with mine. Good ol eastern shore rust! With as much high water as we have had around here, I know its been driven through some salt water a few times.

Your old video was a big help too.

Sent from my RAZR M using Bimmer App