E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
RAZ M3

My Ride: 05 M3
I forgot to mention I already replaced the relay and still nothing. I also put a new battery in.
RAZ M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Did the indy shop read the codes? What were they? How long does the pump prime before it shuts off? Have you checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir? I only ask because in the video it looks like the floor is wet and a leak would cause issues. Almost sounds like it's not able to shift from gear to N. So without seeing the codes my best guesses are problems with the actuator that shifts gears, the actuator that engages/disengages the clutch, the shift springs, or inadequate pressure to complete the shift. It is very rare to have more than one item fail at the same time. I suppose it could be a GPS as well if it has completely failed.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
RAZ M3

Thanks for your reply
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=433347&page=4
If you go to this link I took some picture of the fault codes
But my battery was nearly dead.

When I unlock there's no priming noise. I haven't checked the fluid reservoir. But the wet floor is from snow we had here in mn.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
roadtrip1098

First picture says GPS module communication fault. Later on there's one that says hydraulic pressure sensor. The hydraulic one may have been from the battery being so low. The GPS being bad would most definitely cause the issues since it is basically the only thing telling the actuators where they've shifted to. Now that the battery is replaced I would see if someone with the DIS/GT1 software can check your codes again for you. There are quite a few members that have the cable and software to do it, and since we're all nice people, someone should be able to help you out without having to send your car in again. If you want to check and clean the connection for the GPS and see if that fixes it, follow the wiring down the passenger side of the transmission, the one that snakes to above the driveshaft is the GPS sensor wire. Most likely the sensor has **** the bed, but there's a chance the plug is loose or the wires got clipped by something....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #45
roadtrip1098

BTW that list of faults is pretty intense. You may want to get the DIS/GT1 software for yourself so you can do all the adaptations and stuff and clear a bunch of those. You can find ripped versions on eBay for about $40. It takes a while to ship, and it is a PITA to install (virtual machines, addressing ports, ect.) but once you have it going it will save you a ton of money.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
Hi, my car is shuddering on take off/very low revs (taking off from a rolling stop in second.)
Also seems weird sometimes when coming to a stop, basically when the clutch disengages.
I've done the soft reset and the adaptations using DIS and changed the relay.
It does seem to be an engagement problem.
When running, gear changes are fast and crisp.

However, I have installed a hpf stage 2 clutch in it and the car is na.
Would this be because of the heavy duty clutch or a smg problem?

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited by Chewy; 02-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
khawejaa

My Ride: E46 M3 convertible
Send a message via MSN to khawejaa
hi there i need your help i have m3 e 46 2006 convertible, and i have an issue in the gearbox , when im driving and the gear is changing gear by itself or im changing them manually there is a strange sound between every gear untill 4th 5th, its sounds like (dubb) its like a gap, however the gear are not engaged properly and when the gear is downgrading shifts it freezes on the downgraded gear for couple of seconds and then goes normal again but sometimes when goes freeze for a bit long, the yellow light comes on and that gear is canceled anymore, i cant use it, untill i switch off the car and turn it on again, and everything comes back to normal, lately i changed the compression springs but still the same issue,
NB: A deep sound between each gear and a gap , no smooth changes.
down shifts freeze for couple of seconds on a specific down shifting specially 4th and 3rd gears.
what should i do?
khawejaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #48
RAZ M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
First picture says GPS module communication fault. Later on there's one that says hydraulic pressure sensor. The hydraulic one may have been from the battery being so low. The GPS being bad would most definitely cause the issues since it is basically the only thing telling the actuators where they've shifted to. Now that the battery is replaced I would see if someone with the DIS/GT1 software can check your codes again for you. There are quite a few members that have the cable and software to do it, and since we're all nice people, someone should be able to help you out without having to send your car in again. If you want to check and clean the connection for the GPS and see if that fixes it, follow the wiring down the passenger side of the transmission, the one that snakes to above the driveshaft is the GPS sensor wire. Most likely the sensor has **** the bed, but there's a chance the plug is loose or the wires got clipped by something....

Arnt the symptoms of gps like i cant go into r 2 3 4 5 6. Would it cause my pump not to prime and not go into gear? Ill try and have the codes read some how. thanks again for the help
Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
RAZ M3

Will autozone code reader work with car? I can rent it from them.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #50
roadtrip1098

No, autozones code reader is a standard OBDII scanner, it will only say "Transmission Problem" or something like that. I'm only going by what the sheet said. It said that there's an issue with the GPS, you said it had a nearly dead battery, which would cause the hydraulic pressure sensor error. Again, in the video, it sounded like it was priming to me. Maybe it's my crappy laptop speakers.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #51
RAZ M3

It only primed a bit when we tried to start the car. But when I unlock the car it doesn't prime at all. I'm gonna try and see if its the GPS sensor.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
RAZ M3

Is there a easy way to check the sensor?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #53
roadtrip1098

Not really, I would suggest cleaning the connector and see if that changes anything. Check the wires, ect. Unfortunately though, it's a sealed unit and kind of a pain to get to. If you want to go through the trouble of taking it out, here's what to look for:
Cracks in the housing
Splits in the wiring
The metal plunger should have a pin towards the end
The metal plunger should move in and out with a little resistance, but feel smooth. If it's sandy feeling, probably a bad sensor.
Even after checking all that it could still be a bad sensor, since it appears to be a signal issue judging by the error code.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #54
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Any one else have this happen? I went to start my car and nothing. Did the reset sequence with the key resetting the smg computer then it started. The next day same thing. I had the cog light come one a few days earlier and it went out on its own. The car drives great no issues. Any ideas?

Last edited by being3; 02-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #55
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Hi, my car is shuddering on take off/very low revs (taking off from a rolling stop in second.)
Also seems weird sometimes when coming to a stop, basically when the clutch disengages.
I've done the soft reset and the adaptations using DIS and changed the relay.
It does seem to be an engagement problem.
When running, gear changes are fast and crisp.

However, I have installed a hpf stage 2 clutch in it and the car is na.
Would this be because of the heavy duty clutch or a smg problem?

Cheers,
Andrew
I have an HPF m3 with stage 2 cluch and it shudders if u take off slowly. It's normal for this to happen with this cluch. It's meant for a lot of HP / TQ so there is a compromise. I make sure that the car goes into first when I do a rolling stop.. The smg will stay In second and will shudder a lot if u dont put it in 1st. So I make a complete stop and put it in first which gives far less shudder.

Last edited by being3; 02-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #56
benjamcm3

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
reversed indication

My 2002 M3 shows "S" when its actually in Automated, and "A" when actually in sequential. Anyone ever heard of this happening? How to fix it?
benjamcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #57
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamcm3 View Post
My 2002 M3 shows "S" when its actually in Automated, and "A" when actually in sequential. Anyone ever heard of this happening? How to fix it?
The display is slightly confusing - I'm assuming you are the other one who has created a thread about this... ya? I just replied to your thread with your solution. Just a simple case of the display not being the most ideal in function and misinformation from your friend.

Check the other thread for an in depth response w/ picture.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #58
roadtrip1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by khawejaa View Post
hi there i need your help i have m3 e 46 2006 convertible, and i have an issue in the gearbox , when im driving and the gear is changing gear by itself or im changing them manually there is a strange sound between every gear untill 4th 5th, its sounds like (dubb) its like a gap, however the gear are not engaged properly and when the gear is downgrading shifts it freezes on the downgraded gear for couple of seconds and then goes normal again but sometimes when goes freeze for a bit long, the yellow light comes on and that gear is canceled anymore, i cant use it, untill i switch off the car and turn it on again, and everything comes back to normal, lately i changed the compression springs but still the same issue,
NB: A deep sound between each gear and a gap , no smooth changes.
down shifts freeze for couple of seconds on a specific down shifting specially 4th and 3rd gears.
what should i do?
Get that code read, more than likely it will give you an idea of the faulty part. You can try the soft reset listed in the OP. My list of possibles on this would include the shift springs, gps, or even possible a wheel speed sensor (I know it sounds weird, but the wheel speed sensors do affect shifting)

Last edited by roadtrip1098; 02-22-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #59
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
My car is giving me problems: stays in gear "solid" losses drive & it won't engage into gear until it is turned off & wait a few minutes.

I scanned the codes & it has two codes:

36 Selector angle (WW) position sensor evaluation

37 Shift path (Gear) position sensor evaluation

Is there anything I should test or try before ordering a new position sensor. And where is the more reasonable place to order it from.

I will try a new relay later on today.
SMG pump primes for about 7 to 10 seconds.

Update: I cleared the codes & tried to go for a test drive. backed it up in driveway & put it in first and it stayed blinking in N and the yellow SMG gear icon came on. Read the codes and the same two codes came back . turned it off and on and engaged 1st. then I just parked it & left it alone.

Last edited by kiwami; 02-26-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: update
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #60
roadtrip1098

You can check the plugs for the gear position sensor, they are on the passenger side of the transmission and can get wet and stuff. Most likely the sensor is bad, but it never hurts to check, clean the connectors and stuff. I saw a thread last week where the GPS unit had actually been cracked and you are the 3rd person so far this year to have contacted me with errors that point to the gear position sensor.