E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
nicgala

My Ride: bmw e46 2004 318i
Unhappy oil sensor/ operators guide for tv,cd and radio

Hi Everyone,
Like a person who bought a car and checked the glove box last after payment was made I didn't get an owners and service history manual so that makes me feel great. Is there anyone out there that has the operation guide on the screen and what worry's me is the battery is due for a change and I don't have a pin to activate the unit. I hope it has a battery back up or that BMW can help. I bought an owners manual for the car but is helpful but not for a 318i.
A Haynes manual is a waste of money as it has nothing on a 318i and a little on a 320i but doesn't indicate a part I have at the right hand side of the block with a nut leaking oil. A yellow oil light lights up on the cluster for 30 seconds then it goes off. Someone told me it can be your oil sensor yet I don't know how it looks like. I'm awaiting on a friend with his camera to take a photo of the engine,car and would also like to know how much a drivers for the sat nav and rear sensor with camera. The car is no way near as glamorize as the cars I've seen here but ,HELP..........
nicgala is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Hi and welcome...

When does the yellow oil light come on? Is it shortly after you start the car, staying on for about 15 seconds? If so, it is the oil level sensor that has gone bad. Easy to change and best to do at the time of an oil change as it involves draining the oil.

There are a few 318i owners on here and they can chime in with info to help you about the nut.

Cheers

B

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
nicgala

My Ride: bmw e46 2004 318i
Thank you BALLISTIC323, you may be right as my oil pressure cant be low and with the additional SATNAV,and DVD player its not worth it as in the very near future radio is converting to digital and for a Taiwanese special you can currently purchase a screen that has one or two better features for half the price. Its only going to get cheaper and so i will stick to a blue-tooth iPod for Mp3 and or a phone that has all these capabilities; but must investigate whether you only pay for the calls etc
MEAN RIDE MATE
nicgala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicgala View Post
Hi Everyone,
Like a person who bought a car and checked the glove box last after payment was made I didn't get an owners and service history manual so that makes me feel great. Is there anyone out there that has the operation guide on the screen and what worry's me is the battery is due for a change and I don't have a pin to activate the unit. I hope it has a battery back up or that BMW can help. I bought an owners manual for the car but is helpful but not for a 318i.
A Haynes manual is a waste of money as it has nothing on a 318i and a little on a 320i but doesn't indicate a part I have at the right hand side of the block with a nut leaking oil. A yellow oil light lights up on the cluster for 30 seconds then it goes off. Someone told me it can be your oil sensor yet I don't know how it looks like. I'm awaiting on a friend with his camera to take a photo of the engine,car and would also like to know how much a drivers for the sat nav and rear sensor with camera. The car is no way near as glamorize as the cars I've seen here but ,HELP..........

I have the same engine in my 318i. Is the nut quiet large, located just above the power steering pump? Then, it is the timing chain tensioner. Tighten it a bit. I replaced it not too long ago. The one on the bottom coated in oil is the old one that came out of the car. The new one has a longer extending bit which is spring loaded. This spring is also stiffer than the old one. The screw part is extended inwards, I think this makes it easier to fit as I didnt have to push in while turning which would have been harder due to the stiffer spring. The oil holes are smaller and is placed near the bolt head in the new one. The bolt head is smaller but I dont think that has any relevance to its operation.

Last edited by fgin; 02-16-2013 at 01:00 AM.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote