E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #41
jeagolf

My Ride: 04 330Ci Vert
E46 Intermittent Issues

Hey guys long story short I might have got screwed on this, I'll spare the details and give the cliff notes. (Lets just say someone will never be driving my car again.)

04 330ci Convertible

12 deg F and they tried to lower the top. It did not go down all the way. They then "pushed" it the rest of the way down. (I do not know if they turned the key off and the hyd pressure was released or not.)

Anyways got my car back and here are my issues now.

OPEN To CLOSE:
1. When fully down the top will not move out of the storage compartment. It opens the lid but does not lift it out.
2. I can then pull it 3/4 of the way out after the pressure is bled off.
3. I can then put the key back into the car and it will finish the cycle and shut it all the way and lock it.
4. All 4 windows go down at the start and go back up after finished.

CLOSE to OPEN:
1. Windows drop down.
2. Top starts to go back.
3. The top back window raises up to verticle, then it all stops.
4. Turn the key off, pressure bleeds off, you can lift the cover and the rest of the convertible collapses into the storage compartment.
5. Put the key back in press the open button and the locks are engaged and its down and locked.
6. The windows then go back up.

I have checked the Hyd fluid with the top in the up and locked position and I have plenty.

All the fuses are good.

I unplugged the battery for 10 minutes thinking maybe a reset would help.

I am wondering if there is some reset/resync/ something I can do besides take it to the BMW dealer??

Thanks in advance guys!
jeagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Holy Thread Resurrection, indeed! Sorry for the slow response, but there's no way (that I know of) to tell when someone else comments on the thread or responds to one's posts.

That being said, as previously stated, the dealer told me there is/was a cold temperature sensor and I have no reason not to believe him nor any reason to make it up. As my mom will tell you, I'm an honest guy. Also, as someone else noted, the manual says not to raise or lower it in sub-freezing temperatures. It's all about protecting the hydraulics. But apparently BMW decided the protection was no longer necessary. Maybe global warming. Regardless, my sensor was removed and the top will go up and down on command. Possibly even in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads View Post
Holy Thread Resurrection!

I seem to be having a problem with my convertible roof when the temperature drops below 0 centigrade.

This quote from page one of the thread seems to describe pretty much exactly what I am experiencing, but it is the only scrap of evidence I can find anywhere on the web which suggests the presence of a cold temperature sensor for the roof.

Has anyone else experienced this, or point me towards anymore info?

Over the last couple of days my experience has been as follows:
Temperature Roof Operation
+1 C open
-2 C Stuck - red light on button when trying to close but no movement, no noise, no window drop etc. *1
0 C Closed Nornmally
-1 C Refused to open, symptoms as per *1
+0.5 Opened normally
+0.5 Closed normally

Looks like an open and shut case () but there was, of course, some driving in between the steps, and the boot was opened and closed so there could be other factors. That said, when the roof first failed to close, I did try slamming the boot several times and the roof still did not work.

So in summary, E46 roof temperature inhibit switch, true or false.

David
'03 M3 convertible, in the UK
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #43
andrey.kvotchenko

My Ride: 2001 m3 e46
Sooo guys i have a problem as well. One day i came home tried to close the top.. the top went all the way and stoped bout 3 inches from the windshield!!!! Light blinks red... now i went in the trunk and the fluid lvl seems to be good in the pump. Tried pushing the little black bin im the trunk. When i push it to the upward psition light still blinks red. When i press the open top button the bottom light comes solid yellow.. after i went in the trunk and pulled the blk bin all the way down and press either of the buttons the top light comes on red... which position should the bin be in with top up???? And where should i start looking to fix this problem???? Ive checked all fuses and they are fine!! I aldo forgot to mention before i did any of this i did lock in the top manually
andrey.kvotchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #44
andrey.kvotchenko

My Ride: 2001 m3 e46
Cmon someone knows something

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
andrey.kvotchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #45
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Only thing I can help you with for certain is that the black bin needs to be down any time you want to put the top down. Putting the bin down creates a storage space for the top. Without that bin down, the top won't move, but the windows will go all the way down if you're trying to lower the top via the door lock. If you've only been using the interior switch, I suggest you try lowering the top via the key - just turn it (clockwise, I believe) and hold it. Then the top may go down.

If that doesn't do it, then wait here for someone to respond or do some serious searching on this site. There are plenty of threads about this. Sounds like a bad position sensor to me.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #46
huskyrossy

My Ride: E46 318 convertible
the last few weeks ive had this red flashing light problem with no movement what so ever.
stripped all the panels down to check wiring etc and not found anything. i then decided to take it to an indy which cost 40 plus vat for diagnostic. i would recommened this as you probably wont diagnose a failed sensor yourself.
if it flashes red, then there is a short, so either a wire is broken or sensor down.
amber light is to do with the storage compartment in the boot, if it is pushed flat it means the soft top cant store anywhere so will stop it from opening, make sure this compartment is down and if still is an amber light, then prob the sensor in that storage is failing.

anyway, it was diagnosed with a sensor down, located on the nearside lid, which opens vertically for the hood to drop into. its basicsally the catch which holds the lid shut whether open roof or closed.
it has a plated sleeve on the catch mechanism with a sensor , and plugs into a connector underneath the top interior panel on the rear passenger side (very close to the small passenger window)

i bought a second hand catch with plastic sleeve cover and sensor for 20, but on ebay around 25-30, i manually put the hood down and opened the lid, and replaced the plastic cover sensor onto my existing catch, (easier to replace sensor alone, rather than the whole catch, trust me), i then connected it up and resynced it by hold the close button and hold it whilst turning the ignition to position one, keep hold until it shuts the lid and then performs the fully closed function.
all working in original order.

also, i noticed that my rear window demister was not working during my failed sensor, apparently it will only demist and work if there is no short circuit or failed sensor.
so if a motor has broken then im assuming the demister will still work. just thought id mention this as now my roof is fixed, my rear window demister is working again.
hope this helps
huskyrossy is offline   Reply With Quote