E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #41
bondarenkoigor

My Ride: BMW 330i
Just found the problem..did a smoke test.. A crack in oil separator valve! so, im gonna end up replacing the whole crankcase ventilation system..as every hose is really brittle.. its got 114k. miles on it
bondarenkoigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
jefflynn14

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe MT
So I'm in the same boat. No symptoms whatsoever but have P0172, P0175 and P0420, P0430. Cleaned the MAF, checked for vacuum leaks, and just changed the file filter and regulator. I haven't done the recall on the software yet but will lose the Dinan Tune that was in the car if I do. Any other suggestions out there?
jefflynn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
mmmusty

My Ride: 2001 PY ///M3
Hey send me a pm so i can help you out... If i can lol
mmmusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
andrey.kvotchenko

My Ride: 2001 m3 e46
There is a recall on software update??? Where do i get it done??? How much??

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
andrey.kvotchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #45
mmmusty

the software update can be done by the dealer, i had it done.. but i can almost say with a certainty, that this will NOT correct the codes. these codes are somewhat vague codes and need to be approached systematically i think to save money and tears. i apologize for not being able to answer you at the time directly on here, i had just started a new job and things were a bit hectic
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #46
03BIMMERM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Anyone ever run into a p1071, bank 1 too lean.. ses came on about a week ago and this is the only code the car threw..cleaned the maf, air filter, didn't see any cracks (have aftermarktet AFE intake)..weird thing is the reading for my temp inside is cars throws 122 degrees farenheit sommetimes and -40 degrees celsius..car just started having chopping idle on cold starts...any ideas fuel pump?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App

Last edited by 03BIMMERM3; 02-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.
03BIMMERM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #47
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmusty View Post
thanks to the wise words of taylor192... i will try to write something out as he made a good point to the use of the forums.

Lets begin with a great site to decipher what the codes are and what they mean can be wrong, btw, both p0172 and p0175 are the same codes but on different engine banks. ENGINE BANKS 1 and or 2 RUNNING TOO RICH. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0172

1. for starters check your AIR FILTER and FUEL FILTER and replace as necessary as these parts would need to be replaced regardless if they are dirty and clogged and they can be the reason the codes are up. if replaced, then reset codes and drive to see if the codes come back... PARTICULARLY in the case of the FUEL FILTER.

2. Next thing is you want to do is a vacuum leak test or at least an inspection of the common areas of leaks on our cars. you want to inspect these areas in particular, at least visually yourself: the housing of the air filter (the black box), the piping particularly where the folds are of the air filter housing and pipe. The INTAKE MANIFOLD, and the rubber hoses that connect from the manifold to the throttle bodies. again, if there was a leak that you have fixed, RESET CODES, DRIVE.

3. NEXT, you want to pay for or have a thorough ECU diagnostic done which can show: MAF functionality, O2 sensors, fuel trim levels, etc. this is the most important part as far as im concerned as this will eliminate the need for swapping out parts that are otherwise the FIRST THING most shops and dealers will tell you--> MAF in particular, as well as confusion and shots in the dark.

once you find out what IS and what IS NOT working properly, ie: O2 sensors functioning, MAF readings are in range, then you can move onto other vague problems such as fuel delivery problems.

4. one problem CAN be your MAF (mass air flow doesnt react fast enough, or the readings are not good), FIRST BEFORE BUYING, try to replace yours with someone else who has no issues, RESET ADAPTATIONS, then drive the car to see if the symptoms remain and/or the codes come back. if not, then you can try to CLEAN YOUR MAF first with the MAF cleaner sold at most auto parts stores, and if that didnt do the trick, replace the MAF. also noteworthy here, some state that oiled filters such as K&N can cause an oily build up on the sensor of the MAF which can cause faulty readings... i swapped mine for the stock.

5. Ok, so now we are assuming that all of the above mentioned parts and issues have already been checked and are working properly... next place that was MY issues was in the fuel delivery. you want to start off with as much of a VISUAL INSPECTION OF THE FUEL LINES as possible, check for cracks, tears etc. Now lets assume that fuel lines and hoses are good...

i had jerky accel particularly in the lower RPM range, hesitation on the throttle, very rough and surge idle ONLY when i start the car for the FIRST TIME cold, and loss of power and smoothness. this again helps if you have a friend to swap parts with briefly before dumping money into parts that dont need to be changed. if you have some or all of my symptoms, i would go straight for the FUEL PUMP, especially if your car some miles stacked.

FUEL PUMP was my issue, and i opted for: http://www.highflowfuel.com/c-173565...pumps-bmw.html

im running it on my car now and here are the advantages and the reasons why i chose it over the walbro 255 and the stock pump.
a) performance in relation to the WALBRO pump and stock pump (supposedly!) ... and so far, i must say, its phenomenal!
b) lifetime warranty!
c) very inexpensive particularly in relation to the stock unit which you apparently MUST BUY with the whole unit (housing and fuel gauge included).

So, change fuel pump with a buddy or replace yours, reset codes and drive. my car was good after that... now lets say that everything else is good but you still have issues... the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR would be the next and final part... swap or change, reset, drive!

at this point, you should have checked in order:
1. fuel filter and air filter
2. vacuum lines and hoses, AND FUEL LINES.. shouldve put that with the rest of the hoses and lines
3. diagnosed the car if you dont have a buddy to swap parts with freely
4. MAF
5. fuel pump
6. fuel pressure regulator

hopefully its not your cats or O2 sensors from the beginning as those are the most expensive and difficult fixes... but at least with the diagnosis you should be able to tell if they are working properly.

the main thing i hope to pass on to people is to not just jump to the first thing that ALL SHOPS told me--> MAF, CATS, O2 sensors...

i hope this was helpful, apologies if it wasnt, this is my first time writing something like this... but as stated at the start of this thread, please feel free to message me so i may be able to help on your particular case

good luck with this annoying problem lol!
I was thinking about getting one of these fuel pumps. Is installation the same as oem? What model e46 do you drive?
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #48
mmmusty

no, installation for any pump BESIDES oem requires you to remove the OEM pump from the housing and replace it with the new pump. really straight forward and easy though. the OEM pump is over 300 dollars and it comes with the whole shebang... any aftermarket pump you get will come with the pump itself and necessary tubing and sleeve to fit the housing.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #49
lrp101

My Ride: 2001 325i bmw
Help

2001 325i,,blown head gasket at 80k miles. Bought another motor with 90k, replaced all the boots and most sensors with new ones before installing motor. The guy caught it on fire and burned the fuel injector harness but said he fixed it. Now my car runs much better without the maf plugged up. Codes are P1349, P1619, P1353, 51 and Po175. Rich on bank 2. replaced all plugs, all the coils the maf. Have not changed the 02's..Changed everything on the intake except the ccv. Need help!!!!
lrp101 is offline   Reply With Quote