E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Anyone with 7 series experience?

I know this is an E46 forum but let's be honest, we're all BMW enthusiasts at heart here. That being said, does anyone here have experience with the 7 series? I've always been a huge fan of the long sexy lines of the E38 and would love to pick one up. If any of you have ever owned or known anyone that has owned one, what did you, or they, think about it?
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I drove a 740i...I think that was the model.

I have to tell you I thought it handled just like mine and I was shocked. I'm not sure of the model, but I can find out. But, I was impressed. I'm shortish, and didn't feel hidden inside, but mostly, it was a crisp, nimble ride and I was absolutely surprised at how much I liked it.

But, you shouldn't be lured by the sexy lines of any car. This fanatic here last year talked about it a lot...then posted some photos of him and his car...kind of disgusting and I'm sure he got banned for it. Anyway, you can find guys like that around here if you look...usually they'll be in California or Australia. Fun guys, but you don't want to be with them and a car alone, unless you're really into that. Just saying.

I think it was an E38 I drove...not sure when the model year ended, but I think this was a '98 7 series.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
I drove a friends 740i and it was actually a lot better than I imagined it. It's definitely faster than my 330 was and it doesn't feel big when your driving it. Plus it was extremely comfortable compared to my M
He hasn't had to many problems with it other than the normal maintenance and an alternator that went out once.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
the last good looking 7 series, oh how I long for you. the e38 is a great late 90's early 00's luxury sedan. They still have the great driving experience that BMW owners crave. They also have a ton of leg room in the back for actual adults unlike e46's. I have only driven a 740il, which has a longer wheelbase and comared to my dads 01 audi a8l, it is much more fun to drive.

One of my very good friends drove one during high school. Very reliable hardly ever in the shop, only thing I think was a fuel pump and alternator in ~ 2 1/2 years. However, those cars are 100k off the line, it will surely be more expensive to maintain than our e46s. But great car nonetheless.

Anyone who has experience will know just how luxurious and smooth that ride is.

Last edited by college46; 02-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
It's one of those cars that has lots of advanced luxury features found in common cars today, but it's a little bit clunky. As in, it has that...'90s feel to it, even though it's pretty darn advanced. There was an option on the E38 to have radar-guided cruise control.

If you can accept that the interior is going to feel a little outdated, then yeah it's a good car!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
It's one of those cars that has lots of advanced luxury features found in common cars today, but it's a little bit clunky. As in, it has that...'90s feel to it, even though it's pretty darn advanced.
I find this especially true of the "little" things that the e38's had. Everything from rear window shades to auto leveling xenons. You could also drive it with a touch screen phone in 1995. show me that iphone.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by college46 View Post
I find this especially true of the "little" things that the e38's had. Everything from rear window shades to auto leveling xenons. You could also drive it with a touch screen phone in 1995. show me that iphone.
I'm all about the little things in cars. Most people ignore them and I wish they advertised them more, but the biggest selling point for me are those things.

Dynamic Xenons, roll up all your windows with the key, mirror tilting on reverse, the window on coupes sucking up into the body of the car to make a better seal, the throttle adapting to how I drive (I actually noticed this one day when driving someone else's car for a while - when I got back into my car, I felt like the pedal was perfect for the acceleration I wanted), shoot even the "turn the clown nose to dim" thing is really cool to me. I just love that stuff. That's probably why newer BMWs really appeal to me. I'm such a gadget geek.

My car is, what, 9 years old now? And the features in it still impress people when I tell them about it.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I'm all about the little things in cars. Most people ignore them and I wish they advertised them more, but the biggest selling point for me are those things.

Dynamic Xenons, roll up all your windows with the key, mirror tilting on reverse, the window on coupes sucking up into the body of the car to make a better seal, the throttle adapting to how I drive (I actually noticed this one day when driving someone else's car for a while - when I got back into my car, I felt like the pedal was perfect for the acceleration I wanted), shoot even the "turn the clown nose to dim" thing is really cool to me. I just love that stuff. That's probably why newer BMWs really appeal to me. I'm such a gadget geek.

My car is, what, 9 years old now? And the features in it still impress people when I tell them about it.
This sounds a lot like what I do too, I'm a huge gadget geek and love all the little things.

I had my car for over a year before I learned about the flashlight in the glovebox. Moment I read that, I ran down to my car opened the glove box and found that sucker. Felt so awed by a flashlight, lol.

Other than that, I didn't know until about 3 months ago that there's actually a purpose to those little holes near the sunroof control and that it's because of LEDs that light up your gear shifter and seat heating controls.

Fun times.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
dsmjrv

My Ride: 540i6 + 330ci
they are great cars, better build quality than the e46.. faster than a 330i at anything over 60mph.. 97-98 years were the most reliable just like the 540i.. 2001 sports are absolutely gorgeous.. very well balanced cars, very few squeaks and rattles, beast on the highways.. even MPG aint too bad
dsmjrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I was heavily contemplating the E38 before I got the E46. The GM of the shop I used to work at had a money green E38 iL with tan interior. Every time I was in that thing to clean it I drooled a little. I eventually decided on the E46 because of fuel economy but it seems like the difference wouldn't even be that drastic now that I think about it. Every time I see one with the M-Parallels I get extremely giddy and then a little sad that I don't have one... Hahaha

Last edited by SilverThreeTwoFive; 02-16-2013 at 04:33 PM.
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
I drove and have ridden in my friend's e38 740iL with the sport package. Nice car but it has typical BMW problems like window regulators, in addition to computer issues. His DSC computer had gone out.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
jazz84

Yes indeed I agree they are very sexy there a beast I got a 01 w 191k

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jazz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
e38's hold a special place in my heard.

If I could find one that hasn't been abused and doest have 150k on it, Id daily one in an instance.

But I'm biased, my father has had 7-series since the e32 came out around 1990. I love them, so cushy and comfy.

Last edited by rcsummers; 09-29-2014 at 10:59 AM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
helalo

My Ride: Z4 , 530i
had one, company owned. nothing special, i would not own one. have you ever dated a hot but emotionally unstable girl ? first you might not mind, but later its a headache. thats how all 7-series are.
helalo is offline   Reply With Quote