E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
sachs shocks 99 328i

I had shocks put on my non-sport 99 328i front and rear.

The rears, according to Sachs, s/b 556878, but I got 556882

I can't imagine this is a big difference, but does anyone know what the difference is and/or noticeable effect if any? I'm thinking my shock is 4 mm longer than it should be, but of course could be wrong about how they do part numbers.

The shock I did get was made for 01-06 330Ci

Curious and just a very tiny bit concerned...but I'll up medication while awaiting your response!

Thanks,

Doug
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Prolly just an upgrade and one superceeds the other. Happens all the time
Slap it on, you'll be fine if all you're looking for is an OE replacement.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
dmax

You might be right, but I don't think you are as I've just reviewed the sachs catalog and they show it clearly as for another car...not that I really care about the extra 4mm in length, if that's what it is, coz even me, off my meds, wouldn't notice! But being OCD--good for car maintenance, bad for me!

Anyway, they are on and I care too much for my mechanic to want to say anything...unless I need to!

...and yes, OEM is fine with me--just took old ones off at 193K and although it did show evidence of a leak, I didn't notice any issues, which is absolutely amazing! Will have to take it to the big city to see how it handles the bumps!

Thanks, Snik--I read a lot of your posts, and you almost always make good sense!

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
dmax

Could at least one more seemingly authoritative person tell me that the difference between the shock Sachs catalog said I should have and the shock that was put on isn't anything to obsess over.

Would love to know I'm thinking properly about what the Sachs parts numbers probably mean and that it's literally 4mm longer and not any issue at all.

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
I highly doubt there is a length difference. More likely it is a newer part number, with a better design in some random portion.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
dmax

Yea, I wish it was just that, but I found the Sachs catalog online and it references different part numbers for different cars. I know it's technically the wrong shock, so I want to know how wrong it is.

I'm betting it's just a few mm off and honestly don't 'think' it's a big issue...but I also understand if this is information that no one here would just happen to know off hand.

I'll see if I can call Sachs tech service and get an answer.

Thanks guys!

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
dmax

Whew!

Talked to tech service guy and he said I got the right shock for my car...evidently, the catalog I found online had a typo or something.

Hmmm? I guess you can't believe everything you read online!

Thanks very much guys--appreciate your calming words prior to me finding even more authoritative calming words from the ZF expert!

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
556878 is the Sachs "super touring" shock as used on the non-sport suspensions

556882 is the same thing, orginally used for the verts and wagons but it does have the same damping parameter as the 556878 and the ZF catalog does list it as a successor part to the 556878.

If you wanted the OE sport suspension shock however, you should have gotten 556884 in the "Advantage" line.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Snik
OEM ///Member

How do the sachs "advantage" line compare to Bilstein Sports?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
dmax

jpr,

Maybe foolish me, but I just wanted oem for my non-sport suspension. Honestly, I had originals on for 193K and with new ones, notice little difference...except for this damn steering itself over after a bump.

I've been reading about that (hear you're the "man" on suspension jpr) and I did have the strut mounts replaced and that seemed to be the 'leading' cause of this. But, while I'm here, the strut mount I got was a different PN than came up in realoem...I got 31331094616, according to my indy shop receipt...and couldn't find that anywhere...or at least not where I looked.

Anyone want to make me sick by telling me that's the wrong PN? LOL

Anyway, I've read a lot about 'better' shocks, but I think BMW designed a pretty good car and I have enough on my hands just keeping it working well, so don't want to add the complication of making it better. Just me...no slams to all the modders!

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
dmax

Oh, and thanks again guys!

Although I'm absolutely loving fanatics now that I've been spending more time here, I've got to say for someone with my OCD, it's getting harder and harder on me mentally whenever I go to my shop (as much as I love it) for the things I'd rather not do, only to find out later that maybe they don't know as much as I 'could have' found out from here...like that there's a butyl tape that goes on top of the csb that evidently no one uses. Even the parts guy at the dealer laughed at my mechanic about why he was bothering with it--they evidently had a good laugh about me behind my back!

Anyway, you're all great and I hope, in time, I can contribute as much as you all have...I'm trying to do my part with super noobs where I happen to know more than them!

Okay, now, make me sick!

D
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
How do the sachs "advantage" line compare to Bilstein Sports?
More or less the same as I figure it. The bilstein might be a little bit stiffer plus has some advantages in being a monotube instead of a twin tube. On the other hand, the OE sports suspension is pretty good and there is some advantage in sticking with that as fully tuned set. If I were to choose between the two for use with OE sports springs, I'd get whichever was cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
jpr,

Maybe foolish me, but I just wanted oem for my non-sport suspension. Honestly, I had originals on for 193K and with new ones, notice little difference...except for this damn steering itself over after a bump.

I've been reading about that (hear you're the "man" on suspension jpr) and I did have the strut mounts replaced and that seemed to be the 'leading' cause of this. But, while I'm here, the strut mount I got was a different PN than came up in realoem...I got 31331094616, according to my indy shop receipt...and couldn't find that anywhere...or at least not where I looked.

Anyone want to make me sick by telling me that's the wrong PN? LOL

Anyway, I've read a lot about 'better' shocks, but I think BMW designed a pretty good car and I have enough on my hands just keeping it working well, so don't want to add the complication of making it better. Just me...no slams to all the modders!

Doug
Nothing wrong with sticking with OEM.

as for the strut number, it's legit - BMW part numbers :
31 33 1 094 616
31 33 6 752 735
31 33 6 760 943
31 33 6 769 582
31 33 6 770 568
- all correllate to the same lemforder/sachs/boge part number for an E46 strut mount
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
dmax

Whew, again! I love my mechanic like a brother, and the feeling is mutual, but I'm still OCD and OEM all the way!

Anyway, thanks again jpr...I think I'm out of worries for at least a day now!

Doug
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
More or less the same as I figure it. The bilstein might be a little bit stiffer plus has some advantages in being a monotube instead of a twin tube. On the other hand, the OE sports suspension is pretty good and there is some advantage in sticking with that as fully tuned set. If I were to choose between the two for use with OE sports springs, I'd get whichever was cheaper.
thanks, and what about if im looking for a replacement for my blown cupkit shocks?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
thanks, and what about if im looking for a replacement for my blown cupkit shocks?
Then I'd probably take the Bilsteins over the Sachs, but also put the Koni Sports and possibly the Koni FSD's in the mix. I think the adjustability benefit of the Koni Sports outweighs the monotube advantage of the Bilsteins, and if it suits your tastes and desires, the FSD's have some unique benefits.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
dmax

So, three years later, and my front Sach struts have blown...both showing oil on them...one showing more.

Yesterday, just after I loaded up my trunk with CAs/CABs to get them put on, I had a horrible front end shimmy...worrisome enough I pulled over to check things out. Turns out my struts are blown and my OE lemforder CABs are totally shot. The new Meyle HDs cut the shimmy out tremendously...but still need struts.

3 years doesn't seem like long enough for them, but I thought I'd ask if that's about it for struts? I guess it just takes one bad hit, and I'm sure I've had those driving around here and the city.

I'm reluctant to switch to something else unless someone can convince me there's a superior product which gives me similar dampening, and which would 'mate' well with the Sachs I have in the rear.

Any chance Sachs warranties their struts for more than a year? (I'll also make sure I get all the 'good stuff' for mounting too...off to search!)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I have always used bilstein. The warranty is lifetime. Since 2000, I have changed them 3 times--about 5 years to a set. They are real good about replacement and easy to deal with. Not sure if it makes any difference having different brands on front vs rear. I would think that the failure rate is directly related to the type of driving and condition of the road. Pot holes got to be killers and certain cities, like NYC, take great pride in their pot holes.
jayb328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Koni also has a lifetime warranty I believe. You'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure they offer a shock for OE replacement.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I love the Bilstein Touring's I have on my car. Lifetime warranty, firm but not harsh, good in the corners and a set of 4 is cheaper than 2 Sachs struts; I paid $320 out the door for mine and with the associated mounts and gaskets I paid about $480 to refresh the entire suspension.