E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Let's Talk: Heating Blankets for E46

Hey guys; after having the cold come back after a week or two of decent weather, I have become inspired and driven to get a heating blanket for the E46. Let me start off by saying a couple things:

1) BMW did make a block heater; but after hours of searching, I'm pretty sure they are discontinued, or are basically non-existent.

2) I don't want a pad that "sticks" inside the oil pan, or on the outside...that seems dangerous for the car at first, and I don't want this thing to be on my car year round.

3)I have become interested in the actual heating blankets that you just drape on top of the engine when you need to, and then plug it in. Close the hood while heating. This seems great. Just take it out, heat it up, remove, and then go on my way.

So what are my options? A quick search netted me a couple blankets from $250 up to $1,000, which is ridiculous. My price range is less than $200...ideally, around $100. Can anyone help out? I'd love to be the test subject and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Hmm seems like a lot of work for little gain. The car is designed to be started in cold weather, just let it warm up or be gentle until it is warm. I think a remote start system would be a better investment. 5-10 minutes before you want to leave, hit the button and she will be warm when you are ready to go.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
Hmm seems like a lot of work for little gain. The car is designed to be started in cold weather, just let it warm up or be gentle until it is warm. I think a remote start system would be a better investment. 5-10 minutes before you want to leave, hit the button and she will be warm when you are ready to go.
You cannot be more wrong.

There is no work at all. I buy it, it shows up to my door, and when it gets cold, I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp. Starting engine at 5 degrees is not "normal". It's bad for the bearings, and pretty much all the engine components. In a perfect world, engines run in temperatures of 72 degrees outside at all times. And remote start? This isn't a E90 M3. In our cars, they will stall out, if not run rough for at least 5 minutes. It's in the owner's manual to start driving right away after engine ignition.

Sorry man, but that post has zero credibility. This is not a '72 Chevy. A lot of people can back me on this.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Non existent? Maybe not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BMW-...3b87b9bb8#shId

Although it is slightly more than your stated budget (after shipping), it's the correct part for the job.

Luke
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
Non existent? Maybe not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BMW-...3b87b9bb8#shId

Although it is slightly more than your stated budget (after shipping), it's the correct part for the job.

Luke
Those pictures were taken off a DIY post from here at E46Fanatics. So that credibility is shaky as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Op- you live in Pittsburgh, not the Yukon. You don't need this. Use a thinner oil and stop worrying.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post

There is no work at all. I buy it, it shows up to my door, and when it gets cold, I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp. Starting engine at 5 degrees is not "normal". It's bad for the bearings, and pretty much all the engine components. In a perfect world, engines run in temperatures of 72 degrees outside at all times. And remote start? This isn't a E90 M3. In our cars, they will stall out, if not run rough for at least 5 minutes. It's in the owner's manual to start driving right away after engine ignition.

Sorry man, but that post has zero credibility. This is not a '72 Chevy. A lot of people can back me on this.
What I meant was having to put the blanket under there, plug it in, then remove it before starting the car. And I agree that it is not "ideal" to start the car in 5 degrees, it was taken into account when the engine was designed.

And I'm very aware of the car stalling out. I have to keep my foot on the gas to stop my E46 from stalling out at a stop in the morning (but I thought doing the vanos seals would fix it).
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Those pictures were taken off a DIY post from here at E46Fanatics. So that credibility is shaky as well.
That's true. However, there was this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=17. It may be worth contacting someone to find out if its a scam. In any event, my point is this: if you're going to do this (regardless of whether or not you need to), do it right.

Luke
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:

Quote:
So, did you start this thread just so you can flame on people, or are you just having a bad Monday morning?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
So, did you start this thread just so you can flame on people, or are you just having a bad Monday morning?
I got flamed for thinking remote start would be easier than walking outside in the morning, putting a blanket on my motor, plugging it in, then going back inside, then going back outside, unplugging the blanket, removing the blanket, putting the blanket away, and starting my car.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
I have to keep my foot on the gas to stop my E46 from stalling out at a stop in the morning (but I thought doing the vanos seals would fix it).
You have more problems than you're aware of. I'd get that sorted out asap.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
You have more problems than you're aware of. I'd get that sorted out asap.
Idle that drops and bounces back every 10 seconds or so when motor is cold? I was under the impression that was vanos. But disa, IAC, CCV will be done soon too.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
You live in Pittsburgh. Just let it be. It doesn't get that cold there.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
2) I don't want a pad that "sticks" inside the oil pan, or on the outside...that seems dangerous for the car at first, and I don't want this thing to be on my car year round.
Then don't get one. The blanket idea is silly.

OP starts post asking for opinions, then argues with the ones he gets. <3 this forum.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Surrept

I mean you COULD just get a cheapo warming blanket that you would normally sleep under. I would imagine that it will keep the engine a tad bit warmer than without it. Certainly wouldn't cost you 200 bucks.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
In the cold what i usually do is, turn the key, the vehicle starts and idle for a few moments and then i fly away.

Its colder here in Toronto than where you are. You dont need a block heater or a blanket.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Surrept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
In the cold what i usually do is, turn the key, the vehicle starts and idle for a few moments and then i fly away.

Its colder here in Toronto than where you are. You dont need a block heater or a blanket.
Agreed. It gets subzero here where I'm at in Ohio in the winter sometimes. Tdot is about 5 hours NORTH of where I am and if he doesn't need one, neither do you.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
Quote:
I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp.
An electric blanket will warm your oil, engine, and coolant to 95C? If not, what's the point? What could possibly warm these three things faster than combustion of gasoline inside the engine with these fluids being pumped through it?

Have you thought about how much power would be required to overcome the thermal inefficiency of warming a blanket, then the layer of air between it and the motor (along with plastic engine cover, etc etc), and finally the block itself? How about the potential fire hazard? An electrical short if you close the hood on it the wrong way and shear the wire?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
hahah seriously! if you dont want the help dont ask!

no but seriously OP, i take my engine out, tuck it into bed at night, then when im ready to set off on a cold Chicago morning, i pop it back in and im on my way!

no, but seriously, not hard feelings, but you dont need some silly blanket, as some have said, use thinner oil and dont drive hard until its warm.. i start my car in below 0 temps often and im fine
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Surrept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesenberg View Post
An electric blanket will warm your oil, engine, and coolant to 95C? If not, what's the point? What could possibly warm these three things faster than combustion of gasoline inside the engine with these fluids being pumped through it?

Have you thought about how much power would be required to overcome the thermal inefficiency of warming a blanket, then the layer of air between it and the motor (along with plastic engine cover, etc etc), and finally the block itself? How about the potential fire hazard? An electrical short if you close the hood on it the wrong way and shear the wire?
People do use warming blankets for their vehicles here in Toledo and they DO work. My GF's car and her brothers truck both have issues starting when its less than 10 degrees F. He uses a warming blanket on his truck and it works great for him. The point is with these cars, you don't frickin need it where hes living.
Closed Thread

Tags
snuggie for bmws