E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
DRE97

My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Badkarma8485, From the info you have provided I would say your battery needs charging or replacement.
Suggest you reconnect your jumpers, the correct way, and try and restart the car.
You can't do any further damage.
Because you are getting a clicking noise when trying to start, it is probably the battery.
My $.02
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Badkarma8485

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
Fixed-Thank you all!

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for your time, knowledge, and suggestions. I could've sworn the battery was fine (it was virtually brand new-just a few months old) because everything was lighting up and working. Turns out I just replaced with another new battery and it started right up. It appears that three seconds of my error was enough to destroy a $165 batttery! The car runs and drives just fine. I love these BMW's. Lesson learned I guess. No matter how much of a hurry Im in, no matter what temperature, I will at least make sure I am working with a light! Thanks again to you all and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Badkarma8485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Gee, I wonder who said that from the beginning. And kept telling others this when they were going all over the place.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex323ci View Post
gee, i wonder who said that from the beginning. And kept telling others this when they were going all over the place.
+1.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Alex323Ci

where is all the lip service from those others now?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You're asking for praise for a lucky guess rather than proposing a systematic troubleshooting approach?
How much of a jackass approach would your method be if dealers had their mechanics guess at what was wrong and replace parts on that basis rather than troubleshoot the car first and then replace only bad parts?
Parts replacement artists are not valued by real mechanics.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Parts replacement artists are not valued by real mechanics.
Well said.

Besides, blindly replacing the battery doesn't mean that charging the old one wouldn't have worked.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
Alex323Ci

Please, lucky guess? Rofl, it's called knowing the E46 and cars.
I laid out the steps needed to check first for this situation before going off on some tangent.
Check the power source/battery.
And this is exactly how Any shop would do it.

you're just upset because you look all foolish now trying to call me out.
Yes there are consequences to not reading the thread as you stated. And anyone and everyone reading this thread can see who the egg is on.

just own it and move along
Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Well said.

Besides, blindly replacing the battery doesn't mean that charging the old one wouldn't have worked.
exactly
I am of the belief the battery was still fine, just low from being unused. just needed to be charged.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

just own it and move along
Ur the insecure one looking to always get the last post.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
Alex323Ci

Quote:

it's called answering your false statements. nothing to do with having the last post. now if your last post said nothing completely out of line then i would not have to post correcting it.
so you gone from saying i'm wrong in my diagnosis, to saying i say to replace parts without diagnosing it. (which i clearly did in the posts)
to now trying to turn this around where i'm insecure that i need the last post.

get over it, had you just owned up to your i would not have to correct you over and over. you're usually not so but if you feel you got a case go ahead and continue....
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
We all said to charge the battery. Only one person is being a d!ck about it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Stinger9

Bet you can't get to leave the last post with him hanging on for recognition.
Just watch.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I blew my main fuse once, because the battery connections weren't tightened down enough, which caused arcing. There was no click when that happened, nothing at all. So I knew you didn't have that problem right away. I'm sure your old battery is fine and just needs to be charged.

Congrats on the simple fix regardless! And hello from Minneapolis / Battle Lake

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #35
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Alex was right- you were wrong. It makes sense for him to have the last word. Idk what's wrong with people these days.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Alex was right- you were wrong. It makes sense for him to have the last word. Idk what's wrong with people these days.
Another jackalope that doesn't believe in troubleshooting which is all I proposed.
Wish you had read my posts.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Another jackalope that doesn't believe in troubleshooting which is all I proposed.
Wish you had read my posts.
Well FWIW here's how I troubleshot the original post. Didn't read past that before responding.

1.) Battery is less than 2 years old
2.) Went to jump car, hooked cables up wrong.
2.5) No mention of smoke, mention of interior lights working, main fuse is therefore fine.
3.) "Click" sound when the ignition is turned, which is the normal indicator of a dead battery on an e46. When the main fuse is fried or the car is otherwise lacking the ability to supply juice throughout the car, there will be no click.

Solution A: Charge battery all the way, see if it takes a charge and turns over without a jump.
Solution B: Replace battery if it doesn't take a charge.
Side Note: If battery does take a charge and still no start, THEN you have other issues!

Cost to charge battery = Free
Time to take battery out = 20 minutes maximum
Time and effort to dick around with important wires and fuses before checking the battery first = Massive and Pointless

The key to proper troubleshooting is doing the steps in order. You don't replace a fuel pump on an older car before checking to see if the filter is clogged.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 02-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Well FWIW here's how I troubleshot the original post.
1.) Battery is less than 2 years old
2.) Went to jump car, hooked cables up wrong.
2.5) No mention of smoke, mention of interior lights working, main fuse is therefore fine.
3.) "Click" sound when the ignition is turned, which is the normal indicator of a dead battery on an e46. When the main fuse is fried or the car is otherwise lacking the ability to supply juice throughout the car, there will be no click.
Solution A: Charge battery all the way, see if it takes a charge and turns over without a jump.
Solution B: Replace battery if it doesn't take a charge.
Side Note: If battery does take a charge and still no start, THEN you have other issues!

Cost to charge battery = Free
Time to take battery out = 20 minutes maximum
Time and effort to dick around with important wires and fuses before checking the battery first = Massive and Pointless

The key to proper troubleshooting is doing the steps in order.
thank you, well said.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
thank you, well said.
Taking credit for another's thinking seems fitting for you.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
TheRarp

My Ride: 02 - 325Ci
The key to proper troubleshooting is doing the steps in order.

Correction:

The key to proper troubleshooting is doing the correct steps in order.