E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2002, 03:34 PM   #21
kktran

My Ride: 01/325I 5 SPDS
Ref xenon

I got mine from Bekkers and they are regular xenon which is a bit brighter than bi-xenon, the new one seems a little soft compare the regular xenon.

XENON,DINAN STRUT,OEM LEATHER SPORT SEATS,M WHEEL,ON BOARD COMPUTER,M68 RIMS
kktran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:29 PM   #22
ByeByeM

My Ride: 335i
Re: Ref xenon

From what someone at SUVLights.com told me, there were a lot of complaints (I assume from other drivers, not BMW owners) that xenon lights were too bright. So as of 02, the xenon was made a little dimmer.

I did finally make the decision to go with a set of single xenons - one for the color and two casue it was a lot cheaper! So who wants to buy an 02 coupe bi-xenon with titanium insert??

Quote:
Originally posted by kktran
I got mine from Bekkers and they are regular xenon which is a bit brighter than bi-xenon, the new one seems a little soft compare the regular xenon.
ByeByeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:50 PM   #23
kktran

My Ride: 01/325I 5 SPDS
Ref xenon

Are you getting a brand new set ?

XENON,DINAN STRUT,OEM LEATHER SPORT SEATS,M WHEEL,ON BOARD COMPUTER,M68 RIMS
kktran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
ups_1974

My Ride: 330CI
confusec as hell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok View Post
was there a motor on the projector that controls the metal cover over the lense?
Hello,
I have a 2001 330Ci with Xenon. I am not sure if it is bi-xenon or just xenon? I have the smaller lens 2.5" with no line in the middle. There is a metal flap in front of the projector (bulb) that seem be there to block half of the light. Can someone please help me identify and where I can get the right lens? Because the one I have is pretty foggy and had very poor light output.

Thanks
ups_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
jiggz

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
^^^ holy thread bump!

2001 = xenon

bi-xenon was not introduced until 2002
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Left is AL 3", right is Bosch 2.5"

Last edited by Solidjake; 02-18-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361228830
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ups_1974 View Post
Hello,
I have a 2001 330Ci with Xenon. I am not sure if it is bi-xenon or just xenon? I have the smaller lens 2.5" with no line in the middle. There is a metal flap in front of the projector (bulb) that seem be there to block half of the light. Can someone please help me identify and where I can get the right lens? Because the one I have is pretty foggy and had very poor light output.

Thanks
When you push the turn signal stalk forward does the low beam light direct light upwards?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
ups_1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
^^^ holy thread bump!

2001 = xenon

bi-xenon was not introduced until 2002
Hi "jiggz"

Thanks for the information. You are [almost] correct

As it turns out they started using bi-xenon in 2001 - if your car production date is 9/2001 or later. Mine is 6/2001 so I am using "single" xenon. Problem now is that, no one (even Retrofit Resource) seems to carry the lens for "single xenon". So I am out of luck

One more piece of information, non bi-xenons have a metal flap in front of the xenon bulb that is fixed (ie. it does not go up and down), as oppose to the the ones in bi-xenon where the flap is not fixed and there is a motor that controls its.

Bad news is, I had ordered new ballasts, lens cover and projector lenses in preparation for a overhaul of my headlight. Since the projector lens does not fit, I will nee to buy the whole headlight assembly and therefore have not use for any of these parts.

Good (or not so bad) news is that I found a pair of new OEM headlight assembly for $1000. I have not recieved the part yet but they said it comes with ballast and ignitor too. I really hope that is the case.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
ups_1974

So i finally got the set of headlights. Assembly includes pretty much EVERYTHING needed, seems like, including the ballast, ignitor, xenon and halogen bulb, the bracket toward the bottom on which the headlight assembly sits ( place where the headlight washer/spray nozzle goes in. So it looks like plug and play. It is the same as original AL brand. For around $550 each ($1069 for both) does not seem too bad!!!