E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrunningE46 View Post
I will keep bleeding the system, Belts are routed the right way as in the diagram on the car. Ac is off and I dont use the automatic feature. When I did push the button though, air hardly blew out the vents and it stayed on 3 levels of blowing speed.
Well you probably also have a bad Final Stage Resistor for the blower motor. You could also have a bad servo that actuates the various flaps inside the vent system that is keeping heat from coming out one side.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-27-2012 at 06:23 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
slowrunningE46

My Ride: 01 330i
Just a quick update, never got the heat fixed, changed the heater control valve and still no heat.
slowrunningE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I wonder if there's a chance your two hoses from the heater core are reversed...and in reading how you flushed the system, it sounds like you shifted to air at some point, thinking it was clear, but air would get through where water might not...maybe. I haven't heard of a single bad heater core here. But, I remember a guy who did swap his hoses...so that would be an issue.

Other than flushing heater core again and checking hose routing, I'm not sure I can suggest much else. If you're not overheating the engine, the the wp and therm appear to be working.

Did you use my alternative, rev to 4k rpms for 20 secs. and turn off method of bleeding? Start this when car is cold!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 12-24-2012 at 04:24 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
slowrunningE46

no heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I wonder if there's a chance your two hoses from the heater core are reversed...and in reading how you flushed the system, it sounds like you shifted to air at some point, thinking it was clear, but air would get through where water might not...maybe. I haven't heard of a single bad heater core here. But, I remember a guy who did swap his hoses...so that would be an issue.

Other than flushing heater core again and checking hose routing, I'm not sure I can suggest much else. If you're not overheating the engine, the the wp and therm appear to be working.

Did you use my alternative, rev to 4k rpms for 20 secs. and turn off method of bleeding? Start this when car is cold!
I did check the hoses, double checked everything and I revved it. Heat blows out warm when I rev it until I let off the gas and it blew cold again. I'm thinking the core is bad our either the radiator.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Well you probably also have a bad Final Stage Resistor for the blower motor. You could also have a bad servo that actuates the various flaps inside the vent system that is keeping heat from coming out one side.
This is what I was thinking...
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Sounds like your problem is not that you aren't getting heat, but that you aren't getting AIR. You will have no heat without no air. This means check that the FSR is replaced and that the blower motor is operational. Chances are it's just the FSR. The air coming out should not be weak. If once you replace the FSR and ensure the blower is operating normally, then you simply have air in the cooling system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
dmax

Of course...fsr.

Solidjake has a vid diy of that, OP. He used two hot girls in that one as I recall...maybe three.

Also, don't go yanking on things arbitrarily down there! Be gentle!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
slowrunningE46

Quote:
Of course...fsr.

Solidjake has a vid diy of that, OP. He used two hot girls in that one as I recall...maybe three.

Also, don't go yanking on things arbitrarily down there! Be gentle!
I will replace that next. Thanks for the suggestions. Any way to test it.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
dmax

Quote:
I will replace that next. Thanks for the suggestions. Any way to test it.
If the fan doesn't blow air when you've turned the fan on...or it's functioning erratically...not holding a speed or changing speeds on its own.

When you move on the highway, you have air pressure pushing into the car, but at idle, you need the blower motor working...and fsr is a common reason for it not working. Check your fuse, of course, sometimes you can get lucky!

A recent set

Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
slowrunningE46

Quote:
If the fan doesn't blow air when you've turned the fan on...or it's functioning erratically...not holding a speed or changing speeds on its own.

When you move on the highway, you have air pressure pushing into the car, but at idle, you need the blower motor working...and fsr is a common reason for it not working. Check your fuse, of course, sometimes you can get lucky!
I don't have any irregular fan speed. I don't think that's the problem, but since the part is cheap, I don't mind replacing it.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
dmax

If it's not blowing air when you're not moving, it's a blower motor/fsr issue. You should be able to keep it on high and feel it from all vents. Don't just replace the fsr for fun.

If you change the flow--close/open different vents manually, does that affect anything?

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 12-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #32
slowrunningE46

The air blows, all vents move and switch over with no problem. Air blows From warm on the highway, to cold air at a stop. Only under acceleration does Luke warm air, blow out the vents. So I don't think its the fsr
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #33
canelane

My Ride: 04 330ci
No heat

Im having a heat issue also. I bled the system and that didnt work. I pulled the heater control valve and while looking at it, I would (electrical)plug/unplug/plug/unplug it. You can see the piston moving.
I noticed when it is unplugged, the default is open. I put it back in and didnt plug the electrial back in. The heater now blows hot air. (for now)

Now I just need to figure out why the HCV isnt opening when the electrical is pluggen in.

Waiting for wife to bring car home to run diagnostics......Hopefully the scanner1.4 will do this.

Any suggestions? TIA
canelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
canelane

Well, She brought the car home and wow was it warm inside. I plugged in the scanner tool and it had an error saying it was the WATER VALVE. I put the plug back in the HVC and turned the blower motor on high. Turning the temp gauge down to 65 the air slowly cooled down. Turned the temp back up and the air heated up again. I did it a few times and it seems to be working correctly now. I cleared the error and now no problems. I have no idea why it wasnt blowing hot for the last week. The wife is happy, everyone is happy.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
slowrunningE46

Whats up people, just a little update with the No Heat issue. Took the car out today because it was nice out. However, heat worked only on the highway but it was only warm, plus it took 20 min before it got warm air blowing out the vents. However, the CEL went out and came back on later. When the heat got hot on the highway, I turned on my Ac and dialed it down to 59 degress and move the roller all the way to the 3 blue dots on the vent. Still had warm air blowing out. Should that be? Only got cold after I stopped or about 5 minutes after switching over from heat and it didnt feel cold. Does the no heat issue mess with the AC? The driver side vent in the middle carries the most heat, all the other vents stay colder. Just trying to fix this problem, my car isnt getting the MPG it use to get. Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
If you can get heat after unplugging the electrical connection on the hcv, then the issue is either the heater core temp sensor or the hvac panel. Both are easy to change (10min). Sensor is behind the hvac. You can test the sensor at 72 degrees and measure the resistance. I think it is about 7 or 8 ohm.

Hvac should be pretty cheap used as long as its good. They fail easy.

E46fanatics has a good write up if you search heat and my screen name.

I solved my problem by switching the panel. Hcv is pretty simple and fail rarely. Sensor and panel fail easy.

The final stage resister is when your blower is not consistent. Doesn't sound like ur problem.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #37
slowrunningE46

fsr

When the auto button is pushed, inside temp set to 91 and outside temp is 26, should the blower fan run until it warms up the cabin to 91? I have no air blowing when I push the auto button.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #38
canelane

Quote:
When the auto button is pushed, inside temp set to 91 and outside temp is 26, should the blower fan run until it warms up the cabin to 91? I have no air blowing when I push the auto button.
Can you get the blower to work at all?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #39
slowrunningE46

heat

[QUOTE=canelane;15172297]Can you get the blower to work at all?[/QU
Blower works. Push auto and nothing comes out. Every other button works.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #40
canelane

[QUOTE=slowrunningE46;15174489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canelane View Post
Can you get the blower to work at all?[/QU
Blower works. Push auto and nothing comes out. Every other button works.
I know on ours, you have to wait for the engine to heat up before the blower starts to blow on the auto button.