E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
Your engine is not a 8 year toddler. It doesn't not need a blanket or for you to sodimize it
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Dude no offense but I live in Pittsburgh as well and so does another 1000 e46 and e36 and noone complains about this cold **** for our cars lol
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Is OP high again?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=970812

(Please pardon my auto-correct)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #24
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
This thread got hostile really fast
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Anyone who has less than a 750 post count can leave instantly. And yes, it does matter. I understand the argument of "hey, I have it worse than you, so don't worry"...but that doesn't cut it for me. I'm about my own self-standard, and I keep my self standard high. Maybe I wanted to keep my car for more than 200,000 miles with original internals. Having these horrendous cold starts is not helping anything. Unlike you guys, I plan on keeping this for a while. You might beat yours up and ditch it a couple years from now. BASED ON THE SITUATION I AM GIVEN, I am asking for help. Not "Hey OP, why don't you go buy a new house and stop btching." Right now, I'm fixing the immediate problem with precision and accuracy. Not a "cover all, ignorant" approach. And if someone here believe that these things are useless; tell me why they make them. Tell me why they are even offered.

I can honestly say that the number 1 killer of older cars is the cold. Hey, raising the engine bay temperature 20 degrees might not seem like a big deal to you; but to me, that sounds like a great deal. My car seems flawless at 40 degrees and above. At 20, it doesn't feel right to me. Cposk and Luke- I thank you for trying to help me out and for providing your own testament.

It has been proven that block heaters reduce bearing wear, and reduce engine wear. Maybe if you idiots read a informative journal article once or twice and stopped using barnyard logic.

And Alonso (wickedly), I don't wanna hear about your car running fine. Your car ran like garbage for a couple months last year, and that was in the warm spring. No offense, but stay in your lane. We have different situations. I drive my car daily, at least 30 miles each day, and I want it to last and to be healthy for all those years.

Waiting for more intelligent members to respond...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Op- you live in Pittsburgh, not the Yukon. You don't need this. Use a thinner oil and stop worrying.
Thinner oil is not LL-01 Spec. GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
What I meant was having to put the blanket under there, plug it in, then remove it before starting the car. And I agree that it is not "ideal" to start the car in 5 degrees, it was taken into account when the engine was designed.

And I'm very aware of the car stalling out. I have to keep my foot on the gas to stop my E46 from stalling out at a stop in the morning (but I thought doing the vanos seals would fix it).
Glad to see you understand. Guarenteed in the warmer weather, it runs better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
That's true. However, there was this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=17. It may be worth contacting someone to find out if its a scam. In any event, my point is this: if you're going to do this (regardless of whether or not you need to), do it right.

Luke
Thanks Luke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
So, did you start this thread just so you can flame on people, or are you just having a bad Monday morning?
Don't post counter productive things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
You live in Pittsburgh. Just let it be. It doesn't get that cold there.
Oh yes it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Then don't get one. The blanket idea is silly.

OP starts post asking for opinions, then argues with the ones he gets. <3 this forum.
I just like cutting through the BS.
Quote:
I mean you COULD just get a cheapo warming blanket that you would normally sleep under. I would imagine that it will keep the engine a tad bit warmer than without it. Certainly wouldn't cost you 200 bucks.
Wouldn't throw any heat at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
In the cold what i usually do is, turn the key, the vehicle starts and idle for a few moments and then i fly away.
Its colder here in Toronto than where you are. You dont need a block heater or a blanket.
Everyone in cold weather essentially needs one. You just aren't fanatic enough.

Quote:
Agreed. It gets subzero here where I'm at in Ohio in the winter sometimes. Tdot is about 5 hours NORTH of where I am and if he doesn't need one, neither do you.
Still pretty damn cold here.
Quote:
People do use warming blankets for their vehicles here in Toledo and they DO work. My GF's car and her brothers truck both have issues starting when its less than 10 degrees F. He uses a warming blanket on his truck and it works great for him. The point is with these cars, you don't frickin need it where hes living.
Toledo is barely north of Pittsburgh on terms of a global scale of weather, argument not valid.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
cposk

How about just keeping it in the garage?

Just trying to get my post count up to 750 so I can become creditable.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
This entire thread is lame and op is a tool. So cuz they make heating blankets means they must be a good idea, That's dumb. U know nothing of bearings or anything mechanical. Your car is fine, you don't need anything. I've Been building engines for 9 years. Take it or leave it.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Laugh at post count.....You are just digging yourself deeper and deeper my man.

And as far as me barely being north of Pittsburgh. You are correct. It's not much difference than Toledo. BUT I STILL DONT NEED A BLANKET YOU MUPPET. Which validates my point entirely. You do not need one either. Stop being a tool. Your post count means jack ****. Your join date means jack ****. All of that means not a god damn thing in the real world of intelligence and common sense.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
This entire thread is lame and op is a tool. So cuz they make heating blankets means they must be a good idea, That's dumb. U know nothing of bearings or anything mechanical. Your car is fine, you don't need anything. I've Been building engines for 9 years. Take it or leave it.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
I think most engine builders will say that, but also agree that most of your normal wear and tear bearing damage comes from cold starts. So it may not be a issue when building a high horsepower motor, but will come into play when attempting to drive on original internals for 400k+ miles.

EDIT: Actually my engineering buddies talk more about cylinder wall scoring than bearing damage.

Last edited by cposk; 02-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #31
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Anyone who has less than a 750 post count can leave instantly. And yes, it does matter. I understand the argument of "hey, I have it worse than you, so don't worry"...but that doesn't cut it for me. I'm about my own self-standard, and I keep my self standard high. Maybe I wanted to keep my car for more than 200,000 miles with original internals. Having these horrendous cold starts is not helping anything. Unlike you guys, I plan on keeping this for a while. You might beat yours up and ditch it a couple years from now. BASED ON THE SITUATION I AM GIVEN, I am asking for help. Not "Hey OP, why don't you go buy a new house and stop btching." Right now, I'm fixing the immediate problem with precision and accuracy. Not a "cover all, ignorant" approach. And if someone here believe that these things are useless; tell me why they make them. Tell me why they are even offered.

I can honestly say that the number 1 killer of older cars is the cold. Hey, raising the engine bay temperature 20 degrees might not seem like a big deal to you; but to me, that sounds like a great deal. My car seems flawless at 40 degrees and above. At 20, it doesn't feel right to me. Cposk and Luke- I thank you for trying to help me out and for providing your own testament.

It has been proven that block heaters reduce bearing wear, and reduce engine wear. Maybe if you idiots read a informative journal article once or twice and stopped using barnyard logic.

And Alonso (wickedly), I don't wanna hear about your car running fine. Your car ran like garbage for a couple months last year, and that was in the warm spring. No offense, but stay in your lane. We have different situations. I drive my car daily, at least 30 miles each day, and I want it to last and to be healthy for all those years.

Waiting for more intelligent members to respond...
making a thread and then arguing with everyone about why you should buy a blanket for your car is no way to make friends, sounds like you have your mind made up...

since you are going to bash everyone here...

your right, i have 50 something posts on this forum, that doesnt make me stupid, or ignorant; in fact, you are the ignorant one, thinking that the number of times you post really matters..

i think its great you want to keep your car for 200,000 miles, i really do, but youre not alone.. Look around man, i hear about e46ers all over the place whose cars have 200,000, 250,000, even over 350,000 miles on their car, and they have never put a blanket on the engine... just saying, not arguing...

youre right, horrendous cold starts arent helping anything, but then again neither is starting the engine, period. for every rev you are wearing out internal parts. not to mention the fact that i am 99.9% sure the engineers thought about the fact that people who own this car may live in cold weather...

i dont plan on ditching my car in a couple of years, if i did i wouldnt take the time to check this forum regularly, and im sure im not alone.. i have 135000 mi on my car, blanket free, engine breathing in the brutally cold Chicago air 6 months out of the 12, and it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon.. think about that

What situation? the cold?! let me just say this.. i saw a 90s dodge neon today, running fine in the cold; if that engine can, yours can too.. if you still do think so, you ought to move to another city..

your not fixing a problem because you never had a problem to begin with.. as i said, the cold isnt a problem for the vast majority of cars on the road today.. lots of people have to start their cars up every morning, same as you, and you dont see all of them tucking their engines in for the night before they head inside.. maybe you do, i dont at least..

ill tell you why they are offered.. MONEY.. do you think the makers of these blankets you speak of give a sh!it about your engine?! no! in fact, they are probably well aware that they dont make a notable difference in the long run, but it costs them little money to make, and they make a profit, so why do they care?

i dont know what MY your car is, but it cant be older than 14, and for the modern engine, especially the modern BMW engine, its practically getting out of bed..

youre right again!! at 20 degrees, my car doesnt feel right to me either! the gearbox is stiff, the engine is loud, and not that responsive, it takes more effort to move, sort of like me.. because its COLD.. fluids need to warm up, metal needs to warm up.. something your blanket may or may not do.. youd be lucky to warm everything up by 10 degrees, and on a windy night? dont even think about it..

OK, its proven that block heaters reduce engine wear.. thats it? thats all youve got? maybe you should open the cover of that informational journal youre telling us to read and get some statistics for us, and establish some credibility for yourself.. not to mention the fact that you are arguing about a BLANKET, not a BLOCK HEATER..

ive concluded that in your situation youd be much happier in Miami, 80 degrees all year, dont have to worry about your engine being cold..

so, take my advice, or dont, ill sleep well tonight either way, knowing my engine will last just as long as yours...
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
OP,if you want your block heated,use a block heater. I use one for my build Big Block Chevy and it certainly helps. The OEM BMW heaters are excellent. And like all oem BMW parts,they cost a little extra than a generic item but have a proven track record to function. It is likely that if your car runs that rough when cold there is a maintenance issue that should be addressed. Still an OEM block heater would be a nice usefull addition anyway.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Anyone who has less than a 750 post count can leave instantly. And yes, it does matter.
Awesome, no reason to give my input. Thank you for the pass.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #34
Wickedly

Yea my car was running like **** with cold starts and everything Falling apart. I DIY everything on my own and now it runs ****ing great and yea I might not drive it everyday as you do but we both live under the same temperature . And I'm sure this winter is not as cold as the storm that hit us like 3yrs ago .
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #35
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Anyone who has less than a 750 post count can leave instantly.
This is cute, class of '11.

Try fixing your car?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #36
Sweetness

I feel like Bill O'Reilly
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #37
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
You sound like Bill O Reilly, Illogical and lacking the facts.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sweetness,

You probably don't need the block heater, but if it was you or someone else that said the car ran rough, cold or otherwise, that could be a number of things.

I think Saab makes a block heater if you have your heart set on it. I don't think it's necessary, but won't hurt anything.

We do have cars up in Canada here without any sort of heater, though I'm sure the car would like it to be a little warmer.

Some nights, when it gets really cold, I'll do down in the garage and snuggle up inside engine bay...I use a thick blanket, coz otherwise I wake up with the dipstick in an uncomfortable spot!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP

My brother's (formally mine) E36 325is is now at 275k miles, completely stock internals, one clutch replacement ever, basic routine maintenance done yearly (not as much now since my brother is a nitwit) and it's run 87 octane most of it's life. Has compression in all 6 cylinders, purrs like a kitten at 700RPM at idle and shifts smoothly through every gear.

You clearly underestimate the durability of a BMW's inline 6's. In the long run it'd be a lot less of a headache to just replace stuff when/if it breaks (10 years from now maybe, but even that is unlikely aside from your wimpy AT) rather than tucking your car in every night and telling it fairy tales.

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 02-18-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
Wickedly

lol dmax

Tags
snuggie for bmws