E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #121
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I get sore in my whole back, rear delts, and hamstrings a little bit. Not arms, chest, quads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
lol wut?
My whole back, hamstrings, rear delts, and lower inner part of chest. I have to say DL is the best whole body exercise. I find it strange that my chest gets sore from DLs.

I think it's because I pinch my shoulder blades together at the end of the DL, which requires some support from chest, with heavy weights chest gets its share of soreness. Don't you guys pinch your shoulder blades when deadlifting?
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #122
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
My whole back, hamstrings, rear delts, and lower inner part of chest. I have to say DL is the best whole body exercise. I find it strange that my chest gets sore from DLs.

I think it's because I pinch my shoulder blades together at the end of the DL, which requires some support from chest, with heavy weights chest gets its share of soreness. Don't you guys pinch your shoulder blades when deadlifting?
yea could be. Dude my bis have gotten sore from chest day because I lifted the weighs up to my knees. My bis dont even get sore on bi day lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #123
z00

WTF

what chest exercise were you doing that require you to lift weights to your knees?

Quote:
yea could be. Dude my bis have gotten sore from chest day because I lifted the weighs up to my knees. My bis dont even get sore on bi day lol
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #124
DylloS

Quote:
WTF

what chest exercise were you doing that require you to lift weights to your knees?
Dumbbell benching. How else do you get weights up to your knees. Try not to freak out so much next time lol. Go look at my ass pic and relax.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #125
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Lesson learned, start with incline DBs before BB presses. Chest was sore from DLs, but did chest today anyway.

Why? The BB presses are what's going to put mass on you.

Quote:
Sore from dead lifts?
I get sore fairly often from dead lifts.

Quote:
Yes, pretty much my whole body mostly back/rear delts and lower chest. You don't get sore?
I feel it everywhere except my chest after I dead lift. Actually, my chest is usually a bit sore too because I bench on my dead lift days.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #126
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

I feel it everywhere except my chest after I dead lift. Actually, my chest is usually a bit sore too because I bench on my dead lift days.
lol you're agreeing with me. I'm talking about chest soreness from deadlifts. Not general soreness.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #127
z00

As you see I have increased volume on chest day. Doing DB after BB, I was tired and did not lift as much as usual. But in general, I thought it's recommended to do DB incline first, then BB. No?

I have been getting stronger and lifting more, I'm always sore especially on back and shoulder days. Some guys rarely get sore, not sure if it' a good, bad, or natural thing.

Chest (inner lower part) is sore from DLs, as I said it's because I pinch my shoulder blades at the end of each rep.

Quote:

Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #128
z00

Freak out? Yours ass would look much better if you have some anal bleaching done so I can fab to it lol

Quote:
Dumbbell benching. How else do you get weights up to your knees. Try not to freak out so much next time lol. Go look at my ass pic and relax.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #129
DylloS

Quote:
Freak out? Yours ass would look much better if you have some anal bleaching done so I can fab to it lol
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #130
M3Inline6

Quote:
As you see I have increased volume on chest day. Doing DB after BB, I was tired and did not lift as much as usual. But in general, I thought it's recommended to do DB incline first, then BB. No?

Chest (inner lower part) is sore from DLs, as I said it's because I pinch my shoulder blades at the end of each rep.
You were tired because............wait for it!..........the BB bench press is a compound lift that requires a lot from the body (..when performed properly). If you are looking to put on size, I'd prioritize barbell work before dumbbell work.

Also, pinching your shoulder blades at the end of each rep is unnecessary. Your focus should be driving your hips through the movement.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #131
z00

I'm curious to hear what you think about this, it makes so much sense:

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blogs...pros-and-cons/

Quote:
You were tired because............wait for it!..........the BB bench press is a compound lift that requires a lot from the body (..when performed properly). If you are looking to put on size, I'd prioritize barbell work before dumbbell work.

Also, pinching your shoulder blades at the end of each rep is unnecessary. Your focus should be driving your hips through the movement.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #132
M3Inline6

Quote:
I'm curious to hear what you think about this, it makes so much sense:

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blogs...pros-and-cons/

I've read stuff like that before, and it doesn't change my opinion of the big lifts. Do what you want though. It's your choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #133
z00

I think balance is good. I don't do BB incline, always DB incline. I do flat BB presses now as it's a good change from DB one. Important part is doing it correctly.

I know most of personal trainers at the two gyms I go to recommend DB presses over BB. They only recommend BB presses for guys that are into Olympic power lifting.

Quote:
I've read stuff like that before, and it doesn't change my opinion of the big lifts. Do what you want though. It's your choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #134
M3Inline6

Quote:
I think balance is good. I don't do BB incline, always DB incline. I do flat BB presses now as it's a good change from DB one. Important part is doing it correctly.

I know most of personal trainers at the two gyms I go to recommend DB presses over BB. They only recommend BB presses for guys that are into Olympic power lifting.

Balance is definitely good. I mix up incline dumbbell/barbell movements often, but I ALWAYS flat bench. The barbell is the way to put mass on and widen your frame. I'd wager that the trainers - assuming that they know what they are doing and aren't just regurgitating information derived from media sources - recommend dumbbell over barbell because they are more idiot-proof. Rarely does anybody f@ck themselves up doing dumbbell work; the same can't be said for barbell work (..and that goes for any type of barbell work; it requires more from the lifter).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-19-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361318042
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #135
z00

We're in agreement. I talked to few personal trainers and they said they keep beginners away from DLs and squats. But I guess BB presses also require good form to avoid injury.

However, 2 years ago I had a rotator cuff injury, my surgeon showed me in xrays that my shoulders were impinged especially right one. After 6 months of PT, when I started doing light workouts, only BB and dips used to bother my shoulders really bad. So that's why I stay away from incline BB. Flat BB is fine as long as one does not go over 90 angle and do it right.

Quote:
Balance is definitely good. I mix up incline dumbbell/barbell movements often, but I ALWAYS flat bench. The barbell is the way to put mass on and widen your frame. I'd wager that the trainers - assuming that they know what they are doing and aren't just regurgitating information derived from media sources - recommend dumbbell over barbell because they are more idiot-proof. Rarely does anybody f@ck themselves up doing dumbbell work; the same can't be said for barbell work (..and that goes for any type of barbell work; it requires more from the lifter).
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #136
M3Inline6

Quote:
We're in agreement. I talked to few personal trainers and they said they keep beginners away from DLs and squats. But I guess BB presses also require good form to avoid injury.

However, 2 years ago I had a rotator cuff injury, my surgeon showed me in xrays that my shoulders were impinged especially right one. After 6 months of PT, when I started doing light workouts, only BB and dips used to bother my shoulders really bad. So that's why I stay away from incline BB. Flat BB is fine as long as one does not go over 90 angle and do it right.
I've also had rotator cuff injuries caused by improper bench technique. Fixed my technique (..mainly correcting at the elbows and contracting my lats harder).........no more issues!........which is why I'm achieving bench numbers that exceed what I was able to do previously.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-19-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361321076
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #137
z00

What exactly did you have to fix? Any good guides on proper form?

Quote:
I've also had rotator cuff injuries caused by improper bench technique. Fixed my technique (..mainly correcting at the elbows and contracting my lats harder).........no more issues!........which is why I'm achieving bench numbers that exceed what I was able to do previously.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #138
M3Inline6

Quote:
What exactly did you have to fix? Any good guides on proper form?
I stated it in parentheses. Elbow correction and lat engagement. In the past, I was benching with "my arms and shoulders", which is what led to the rotator cuff issues. With proper form, my back/lats/legs play a HUGE role, and I don't have shoulder issues any longer.

I set my bench press position up almost exactly like this.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-19-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361326022
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #139
z00

Good tips, thx. Too bad video was not showing foot/leg position. I tend to arch my back like in your video and push with my legs when pressing. But I read that's normal.

Quote:
I stated it in parentheses. Elbow correction and lat engagement. In the past, I was benching with "my arms and shoulders", which is what led to the rotator cuff issues. With proper form, my back/lats/legs play a HUGE role, and I don't have shoulder issues any longer.

I set my bench press position up almost exactly like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #140
z00

After 2 weeks of doing high reps back squats today my numbers jumped 10lbs with heavy weights.

Using Olympic grip instead of cross over grip on front squat felt so much better I got 1 more rep than last time.

Legs

Front squats
1 x 5 155lbs
2 x 4 155lbs

Back squats
2 x 8 185lbs
2 x 4 205lbs
1 x 5 205lbs

Lounges
2 x 10 30lbs DBs (per leg)

Lying leg curls
1 x 10 110lbs
2 x 9 120lbs

Romanian deadlift (only 1 set as my lower back was hurting, so I stopped, pain went away after foam rolling)
1 x 10 60lbs