E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
SergiCompact

My Ride: E46 318ti Compact
M54B30 Where to start?

Hello gents,

I am building at the moment an E46 330Ti Compact. Yes an E46 NOT E36.

I plan to do a complete suspension overhaul, big brakes and swaping the engine of my crashed 330CiCabrio to my little Daily driver.

I would like to get some boost as well so I guess here would be the first place to ask.

The car will be keep as a DD for a good while, and I would like if possible to be around 350-360 Horsepower but reliability is a MAJOR concern. I would rather keep the HP lower than loose reliability.

Also I would like to know what other parts of the engine I should be looking to upgrade or if with the bolt on system is enough to keep the engine safe.

I would like to know if headers are a good add on once the Supercharger is fitted or if they aren't worth it with the F/I.

Thanks for your replies and a big hello from sunny Spain

Building the 330Ti! See my thread!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964911
SergiCompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
please tell me you're gonna move the headlights from the wrecked cabrio to the compact...

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
please tell me you're gonna move the headlights from the wrecked cabrio to the compact...
this

As for FI there's nothing that's completely safe , if you want reliability then stay NA
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiCompact View Post
Hello gents,

I am building at the moment an E46 330Ti Compact. Yes an E46 NOT E36.

I plan to do a complete suspension overhaul, big brakes and swaping the engine of my crashed 330CiCabrio to my little Daily driver.

I would like to get some boost as well so I guess here would be the first place to ask.

The car will be keep as a DD for a good while, and I would like if possible to be around 350-360 Horsepower but reliability is a MAJOR concern. I would rather keep the HP lower than loose reliability.

Also I would like to know what other parts of the engine I should be looking to upgrade or if with the bolt on system is enough to keep the engine safe.

I would like to know if headers are a good add on once the Supercharger is fitted or if they aren't worth it with the F/I.

Thanks for your replies and a big hello from sunny Spain
Hello Sir ,

Welcome to the F/I section of the E46Fanatics World. I am glad to hear of your project swapping a M54B30 into a E46 Ti unfortunately those (Compact) chasis were not offered in the US. Our Active Autowerke Stage 1 Supercharger Kit will be provide you just the right power and reliability your looking for in that range. I would also recommend installing headers as well to complement the Supercharger Kit in Performance. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly at Viral@activeautowerke.com .
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921

Last edited by Viral@ActiveAutowerke; 02-18-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361228146
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Reliability of FI depends on two things besides the condition of your engine.
1. boost/power level
2. how good the bolt on kit (and the tune) is

It looks like you are doing the right thing by not trying to reach crazy power levels. Any stage 1 supercharger bolt on kit will give you the performance you are looking for.
I would stay with reputable brands like AA or ESS.
There is also a turbo option but it's just too complicated for my taste.

I'm not sure what headers come stock on european models and how legal it is to remove cat converters. Are the cats part of the header?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
SergiCompact

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Reliability of FI depends on two things besides the condition of your engine.
1. boost/power level
2. how good the bolt on kit (and the tune) is

It looks like you are doing the right thing by not trying to reach crazy power levels. Any stage 1 supercharger bolt on kit will give you the performance you are looking for.
I would stay with reputable brands like AA or ESS.
There is also a turbo option but it's just too complicated for my taste.

I'm not sure what headers come stock on european models and how legal it is to remove cat converters. Are the cats part of the header?
Yes, the cats are part of the header, I will have to legalize the car anyway according to the Spanish law, so It's not a big deal to legalize the whole lot including headers.

I won't be swaping the headlights as I like the car as it is

I am doing a complete car refreshment including apart from the engine swap a full suspension rebuild and Big brake kit.

And along with that I would like to F/I the engine keeping the stock internals, I am after the power of a stock S54 (That was the ideal engine swap but I have a free crashed 330Ci so can use the money for the supercharger kit)

Engine is mint as it has 30K miles done by my Mum (With small drive arounds by me or my brother) So I perfectly know the history of the donor car as my family bought both cars new in 2003.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
SergiCompact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Hello Sir ,

Welcome to the F/I section of the E46Fanatics World. I am glad to hear of your project swapping a M54B30 into a E46 Ti unfortunately those (Compact) chasis were not offered in the US. Our Active Autowerke Stage 1 Supercharger Kit will be provide you just the right power and reliability your looking for in that range. I would also recommend installing headers as well to complement the Supercharger Kit in Performance. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly at Viral@activeautowerke.com .
Sounds like a plan to me!

I will email you shortly.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiCompact View Post
Sounds like a plan to me!

I will email you shortly.
Sounds Good Sir Looking forward to hear from you soon.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
itsthateasy

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP,'89 iX
LSD!!! If you don't already have it. It's my number 1 complaint with my ZHP. Wish list: LSD, more power, wheels.
itsthateasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
SergiCompact

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthateasy View Post
LSD!!! If you don't already have it. It's my number 1 complaint with my ZHP. Wish list: LSD, more power, wheels.
Yes I do already have it but it's not on the car yet