E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
joshism

My Ride: 04 330CI Convertible
Got my JL Audio Badge the other day, and just got my amp today for $208 on ebay. Now all I need is to finish the enclosure and the wires and I'll be set. My concept photoshop renderings are slowly becoming reality.

Last edited by joshism; 03-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.
joshism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Bump! Did you finish this?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #23
joshism

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Bump! Did you finish this?
Still working on it. I've been trying to work on it on my days off work. I've been doing a lot of adjusting and trimming to make sure the bottom trunk carpet tray can swing up. I keep adding and changing the enclosure so it would meet the subwoofer's requirements, and have as much trunk space as possible. I wonder how many people would be interested in buying something like this? I'd probably sell it for cheap.

Last edited by joshism; 05-20-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #24
joshism

I know it's illegal to talk about Honda, but I just bought a Honda Odyssey, and the speakers sound way nicer than both my BMW 330CI and Z3. If an E46 fanatic found out that I put OEM Honda speakers in my 330CI, they'll probably egg my car. Not that I would do that... but I am kinda tempted to. LOL

Last edited by joshism; 05-29-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
^ lol.......
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
Infinitysquared

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330ci
Speaking of the odyssey, I know it's supposed to be the best van on the market, but it's soooo ugly.

On topic, this enclosure looks super sweet. Any thoughts on how much you'd sell it for?

Last edited by Infinitysquared; 06-30-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Infinitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
joshism

Current progress

Finally had a little bit of time. My designs before didn't fit the sub. I had to extend the chamber where the subwoofer sits, a few more inches out. My pictures before had the MDF sitting on each other without wood glue. I have finally glued them together in these pictures. It's all coming together now. I just have to make the left and right chambers now.

This one below shows the cutout of my subwoofer. As you can see, it is very close to the box. I hope the subwoofer will not touch the MDF during excursion. We'll see. If it does, that would suck... really bad. I'd have to modify it again. It looks as if the subwoofer will hit the back wall of the enclosure according to the cutout, but if we look at 2 pictures above, the subwoofer will actually extend into the ski-pass, so it should be alright.

This picture below shows the clearance of the enclosure when the top is down. I left about an inch on top because when I install the sub, it's going to need that room.

This picture below shows the amount of trunk space I'd have with this enclosure. If people want more trunk space, they'll just have to go with an 8" subwoofer. My JL Audio 10W0v3-4 sub requires an air volume of 0.65" cu ft, so it takes a lot out of my trunk, but not to the point where it's useless. Plus, I have the van if I really need trunk space.

So there it is. I'll keep us updated. Again, I wanted an enclosure that saved room, fits a 10" sub (read somewhere that "the larger the sub, the easier for it to produce the low notes"), meets the sub's enclosed air requirements, easily removed, uses the ski pass, has an amp attached, and allows me to lift the trunk bottom cover all the way up. I still have a long way to go before finishing this.

Last edited by joshism; 11-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
joshism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitysquared View Post
Speaking of the odyssey, I know it's supposed to be the best van on the market, but it's soooo ugly.

On topic, this enclosure looks super sweet. Any thoughts on how much you'd sell it for?
I'll have to look at the prices of other enclosures out there. I want to be fair when I sell it. I spend a lot of time with trial and error, trying to cut the angles as precise as I can with my table saw. But once I have the first enclosure done, all the angles should be easier. So I'll have to figure the price out later. Also, I was thinking that adding carpet would be a pain with all the angles. Maybe the fake carbon fiber sheets on ebay might be good. I might just sell it without any covering so that people can cover it with whatever they want. I could primer it and spray it with a coating of black textured paint, but I'm not sure if people like that. Creating an enclosure for a 10" sub would be so much easier on a coupe or a sedan. Also, if I were to use an 8" sub, it would be so much easier because it the enclosure would be much smaller, and I wouldn't have to figure out all these crazy angles. I really want to save as much space in the trunk as I can. I've rearranged my 10" sub in so many ways. This is the best angle I could get without it hitting or rubbing the MDF.

Last edited by joshism; 11-01-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
joshism

Just discovered something that made my day. I'm so happy that I don't have to use a LOC (Line Out Converter) or RCA cables, since my JL Audio amp has both Hi-level (speaker level) and Low-level inputs. Heard Hi-level is supposed to be superior to Low-level input. Anyone able to hear the difference? Also, I went to a local car audio shop, and the guy said something about how subwoofers will affect the electrical system of BMW's, and that some kind of device will be needed because it affects the way the ECU reads the electrical draw. I can't remember, but I know it was not a capacitor that is needed. Anybody have any idea?

Last edited by joshism; 11-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
tinchomermoz

My Ride: 02 M3 Convertible
Hi there, Its been a while. I thought I would ask if you have any progress. I am interested in purchasing an enclosure like yours. I have a JL 10W7 and my only option so far is to buy a sealed box which would leave me with no room in my trunk. I hope you 've been able to finish yours.

2002 BMW M3 Convertible (my DD)
2012 AUDI Q5 2.0T (wifey's)
1998 BMW R1100RT
2006 BMW K1200R
2001 BMW 330ci (sold)
tinchomermoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshism View Post
Also, I went to a local car audio shop, and the guy said something about how subwoofers will affect the electrical system of BMW's, and that some kind of device will be needed because it affects the way the ECU reads the electrical draw.
lol.

You will be fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
joshism

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinchomermoz View Post
Hi there, Its been a while. I thought I would ask if you have any progress. I am interested in purchasing an enclosure like yours. I have a JL 10W7 and my only option so far is to buy a sealed box which would leave me with no room in my trunk. I hope you 've been able to finish yours.
Update: I just purchased a JL Audio wire kit. Still working on the enclosure. The difficult part is the angles. Once I have the first enclosure done, the rest should be easier to do. I'll probably make them depending on the demand. I'll probably sell it on ebay. The more people buy, the more I'll make. About the enclosures on the internet, they are too small for a 10 inch sub. Maybe an 8 inch, but you'd have to google a subwoofer enclosure to see if the dimensions meet the requirements of your sub. Anyways, I'm just debating if I should make room for a capacitor. I want to hide it behind the enclosure. I just want the entire enclosure to be nice and clean, without any wires hanging around. The only thing showing should be the sub and the amp because they both need air. Some people put their sub under the ski pass cover, but it needs more room than that. I was told it needs a few inches in front of the sub itself to sound good.

Last edited by joshism; 02-19-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
The sub doesn't really matter, it's the box that matters. Some subs will hit lower notes than others, but it's a small difference. As far as needing a few inches in front of a sub?? never heard that...nor do I believe it. Having the correct volume of airspace for a sub will make it produce the best it can..placement is next, sound cancellation comes into play.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
joshism

I looked up some 3D software yesterday and started making this enclosure design. So which one do you guys like? My previous designs, or this new concept enclosure? This one might be might be simpler to build because it doesn't have so many crazy angles. This one is mainly a rectangle box, while the other one had the subwoofer slanted downward. I'm still planning to add a ski-pass to it in the rear, a capacitor, a terminal cup, and whatever else I could think of. With this one, when the convertible top is down, you can't see the sub or the amp. All you see is the JL Audio badge. Also, the wires for the amp is covered, and all the other wires are tucked away leaving a nice and clean setup.

Photobucket

Last edited by joshism; 02-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #35
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
wil you be selling something like this?
limpiabota809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
joshism

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
wil you be selling something like this?
I will be selling it on ebay. I recently calculated the volume, and discovered that it was 2 times larger than what I need it to be. I have since then changed the design to save as much space as possible. This new concept design uses the ski pass, sits in the right corner and it allows the trunk spare tire floor to open. Also, I have changed the subwoofer from a JL Audio W0 to a W1.

As you can see, I have already begun working on the new design. I've got all the hard parts put together. The angles are the hardest to cut. The next hardest is the hole for the subwoofer. The rest are just a bunch of rectangles.

Last edited by joshism; 08-22-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
PM'd

Last edited by limpiabota809; 08-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
limpiabota809 is offline   Reply With Quote