E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
The worst camber you've ever seen, help!

Got an alignment and the numbers speak for themselves...

What am I going to do to fix this insanity?

I will be removing my stock 130k+ mile struts (I don't know how they've lasted this long, and still don't feel AWFUL) and I will be replacing them with these

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...ont/ES1866463/

I also plan to get strut mounts obviously as well.

Does anyone have tips on what else I should replace to get my stuff back to OEM specs? I have been told my front right strut is completely blown and leaking which is probably why it's so out of whack I'd guess?

I hit a side walk once going 5pm around a turn and thought that could have messed things up, but my BMWofSD said it only bent my control arms and bushing which I replaced.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone runs these struts, please chime in and let me know how they are. I've found only two people in all of e46fanatics that run these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130219_144143_hdr.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	491432  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I'm used to reading alignments in degrees, not inches. In any case, it seems that your TOE is out of "whack" not your camber. that's just a matter of tierod adjustment. if maxed out, it's just your control arm that's bent.

stock struts wont affect alignment unless the strut body itself is bent

do i need to do an alignment thread

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm used to reading alignments in degrees, not inches. In any case, it seems that your TOE is out of "whack" not your camber. that's just a matter of tierod adjustment. if maxed out, it's just your control arm that's bent.

stock struts wont affect alignment unless the strut body itself is bent

That would be so helpful. I should just get new tie-rods anyway. Previous owner let way too many things sit way too long on my car. I have new control arms I purchased directly after I hit the side walked and was advised to by BMW themselves.

Thank you though Mango, glad to know it's a matter of tie-rod rather then something "bigger".

+1 for alignment thread!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
That would be so helpful. I should just get new tie-rods anyway. Previous owner let way too many things sit way too long on my car. I have new control arms I purchased directly after I hit the side walked and was advised to by BMW themselves.

Thank you though Mango, glad to know it's a matter of tie-rod rather then something "bigger".

+1 for alignment thread!
Seeing as you hit something, its probably your tierod or control arms. replace both and get an alignment and you should be fine.

I'll see what i can whip up. there's already a great alignment thread on bf.c but it zeroes in (no pun intended) on actual settings for track and what not and not really concepts and what to check, etc. Fiveeightandten (nick) has great alignment threads as well, IIRC

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Actually read that sheet again. The toe was corrected. The caster is a little low and the camber is slightly off. Maybe knocking out the pins on the strut mounts would allow enough room to get it in spec?

Also, OP, those are decent struts. I have them on my ZHP. They are not competition level but seem to soak up the bumps nicely.

Last edited by Dave1027; 02-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

He said the dealer (BMW of San Diego) wasn't able to correct it. Maybe his control arm is bent to the point where the tierod is maxed out. He has a set of control arms and tierods ready to go it seems.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
Actually read that sheet again. The toe was corrected. The caster is a little low and the camber is slightly off. Maybe knocking out the pins on the strut mounts would allow enough room to get it in spec?

Also, OP, those are decent struts. I have them on my ZHP. They are not competition level but seem to soak up the bumps nicely.
I'll try to knock the pins on the strut mount tonight, thanks for that tip. I was going to get camber plates, but if I don't have to...

And Mango! Do an alignment thread please.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
I'll try to knock the pins on the strut mount tonight, thanks for that tip. I was going to get camber plates, but if I don't have to...

And Mango! Do an alignment thread please.
The pins won't affect your toe (at least not in the way you'd want/intend it to)

i'll see what I can do.. i'd start out wanting to give the basics then it would snowball into giving every detail. then i'd end up spending more time than i wanted to

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:

i'll see what I can do.. i'd start out wanting to give the basics then it would snowball into giving every detail. then i'd end up spending more time than i wanted to
no need, jpr has enough info out on this some 6 years ago.
all these things have been covered in detail, the people who wrote them just aren't around anymore to say "see my links" so someone else has to or a Search performed. imagine that, a Search in the "Suspension Forum" who would have thought
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=416660
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Dave1027

Mango, like I said, his toe is fine. Read the right hand column that says "Final". You are looking at the before adjustment column.

Hallister, you may want to also consider getting strut tower reinforcement plates. One of my strut towers was mushroomed so I pounded it back down and installed the plates. They are only $20 a pair.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Dave1027

Quote:
I'll try to knock the pins on the strut mount tonight, thanks for that tip. I was going to get camber plates, but if I don't have to....
I've not did it before. Only read about it. Be careful. You don't want to f up your mounts. I don't know how hard they are to remove.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
Quote:

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
oldspimp

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passnu2 View Post
And a fuel pump thread
oldspimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Let me just say that my car never aligned properly until I had pretty much rebuilt my entire suspension. My struts/shocks had 154k miles on them and I'm sure were in worse shape than yours. I have a Meyle HD control arms & bushings, Bilstein Touring shocks/struts, Lemforder strut/shock mounts, Meyle end links, Lemforder tie rod assemblies, and new sway bar bushings and my car drives great. The only thing left to do is the RTAB but I'm saving that for later in the year; my rear end still feels pretty planted with 155k miles and I don't have any of the symptoms of the trailing arm bushings being bad at this point.

Good luck. I had my car aligned at Sale BMW in Kinston and they got it spot on. Car drives like brand new.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
+1 for Mango's alignment thread

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

ok looked at it again. was at work so didnt look too closely at initial/after, etc. maybe OP installed taller springs. anyway your car not being within that particular spec is no reason to worry. your car seems to be sitting a bit higher than stock. was this done as soon as the springs and shocks were installed?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
OP needs an e36.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote