E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #281
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
You shouldn't be working out any muscle 2 days in a row. There's many other forms of pullups you could do that would help keep your muscles confused so you can continue making gains.

The pullup is a compound lift, and depending on the exact style you do, it's generally working mostly the back, but also shoulders, biceps and chest. Working out all these muscles properly would benefit your pullup abilities. Many different forms of pushups would benefit several of these muscle groups also.

I know I'm not the most knowledgeable member here, but i believe i could definitely help you. If you have more in depth questions regarding exercises, form or if you want videos describing anything, feel free to pm me or ask here.

If i remember correctly, you don't have a gym membership or home gym, so there's many exercises you can do that utilize your body weight for resistance.

I hope i was of some help, feel free to ask away!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Thanks.

I actually do have access to a gym. I'm just kinda lazy so I don't use it often, and I prefer to find elsewhere to exercise if it involves getting it on video since many people are sensitive to cameras in a gym.

Thinking about it, it's mainly my scrawny little biceps that seem to be giving out, and nothing else really seems very tired or fatigued. In a few other exercised, that also seems to be the case as well. Do you think it'd be a worthwhile to goal to put an emphasis on building bicep strength if I feel that's my weakness?

Last edited by mkodama; 02-20-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361354111
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #282
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Thanks.

I actually do have access to a gym. I'm just kinda lazy so I don't use it often, and I prefer to find elsewhere to exercise if it involves getting it on video since many people are sensitive to cameras in a gym.

Thinking about it, it's mainly my scrawny little biceps that seem to be giving out, and nothing else really seems very tired or fatigued. In a few other exercised, that also seems to be the case as well. Do you think it'd be a worthwhile to goal to put an emphasis on building bicep strength if I feel that's my weakness?
In my eyes, any goal towards forward progress in health and fitness is worth while. Just remember to start with small attainable goals so you don't discourage yourself. Not to mention, chicks love biceps. :cool:

What i would recommend, rather than putting all your emphasis and energy into biceps, would be to start with a more well rounded upper body routine.

Maybe something like doing 150-175 push ups and 25-40 pull ups (look up how to use a chair to help you get more) on day 1 (regular, wide and narrow grips, elbows in, diamond, military style, ect. do a broad range of push ups. also do pull ups with varying grips and knuckles towards you and away). Then take day 2 off. Then on day 3 do triceps and biceps (tricep extensions, tricep kickbacks, dips, side tricep rises, supenation curls, preacher curls, hammer curls, one arm and 2 arm curls, ect.) Then maybe take days 4 and 5 off and on day 6 work on shoulders (straight and bent arm shoulder flys, seated rows, shoulder press, alternating shoulder press, ect.)

The worry of just working biceps and ignoring all the other muscle groups is how awkwardly off balance your body could start to become. Later on, once you get more comfortable starting to work out, it would be great to start doing some leg and core exercises also.

And one thing that i always stress that nobody cares to listen to, that i see as quite important, is to get a quality stretch in before each workout. A nice balance of aerobic and anaerobic stretches to stretch the general section of what your working that day (ie. Upper vs lower body) then to isolate the muscle groups that you'll be mainly working and stretch them (ie. Chest and back).

I don't expect you to utilize all that information immediately to start out, but it should help push you in the right direction.

Best of luck, update us and bring your questions here so we can help! This forum is filled with very knowledgeable people that love to help. Don't be shy!

Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #283
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
You shouldn't be working out any muscle 2 days in a row. There's many other forms of pullups you could do that would help keep your muscles confused so you can continue making gains.

The pullup is a compound lift, and depending on the exact style you do, it's generally working mostly the back, but also shoulders, biceps and chest. Working out all these muscles properly would benefit your pullup abilities. Many different forms of pushups would benefit several of these muscle groups also.

I know I'm not the most knowledgeable member here, but i believe i could definitely help you. If you have more in depth questions regarding exercises, form or if you want videos describing anything, feel free to pm me or ask here.

If i remember correctly, you don't have a gym membership or home gym, so there's many exercises you can do that utilize your body weight for resistance.

I hope i was of some help, feel free to ask away!

Actually there are many pull up programs that go at this daily. A lot of strength work can be done daily so what he's doing may not be wrong.

What I'd suggest is varying grips, speed, and doing other back and bi work. Jump up hang and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Do negative pull ups.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #284
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
If you can do 6, I would do sets of 3 or 4 whenever you go by something you can do pullups on. Do 20 or 30 sets a day. After a week test your max again and then do 2 or 3 less than that using the same rep scheme. This is called the Grease the Groove method. People have a lot of success with it for body weight movements.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #285
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
If you can do 6, I would do sets of 3 or 4 whenever you go by something you can do pullups on. Do 20 or 30 sets a day. After a week test your max again and then do 2 or 3 less than that using the same rep scheme. This is called the Grease the Groove method. People have a lot of success with it for body weight movements.
Doing this when my injury is over. Not sure what I can pull up on around the house or work though lol

Last edited by DylloS; 02-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #286
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I've been giving a go at it daily. I'm 5'9" and 157 pounds, and lately I've been trying to lose more weight, but it's hard, lol. At the 6th pullup I'm struggling and form is starting to get sloppy, can't go all the way up on the 7th.
Do lat pull-downs after each pull-up set. Contract your lats hard during the movement. That may help!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #287
MinnesotaM3

My Ride: MKIV Supra / E46 M3
a good percentage of guys at the gym cant even do 10 pull ups. after you get to your max theres techniques to get 2-5 more reps.
MinnesotaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #288
mkodama

Well, I think the advice given to me was a big jump compared to my usual routine. I still gave some of it a try though.

Today I aimed at doing sets of 3 pull-ups per set instead of my normal one or two sets of 5-6, and doing more sets. Between noon and midnight today, I managed 8 sets of 3 pull-ups. I think that did the trick for me, since instead of feeling just feeling fatigued and not able to do anymore, I actually started getting a really good burning feel in the muscles like they were actually getting worked out. Felt much better.

Last edited by mkodama; 02-21-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361436315
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #289
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Pullup contest... Let"s go *******s

Forgot about this tread until I made it to the gym today. Figured I would film a pull up set. Haha. Excuse the gay angle. Haha.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #290
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i

I've stopped at 40. But I do them fast and don't fully extend my arms... Maybe I'll take a vid later today even though my arms are still sore from yesterday...

6 speed
E46Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #291
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Snowball View Post
I've stopped at 40. But I do them fast and don't fully extend my arms... Maybe I'll take a vid later today even though my arms are still sore from yesterday...

yeah definitely need a vid
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #292
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
Forgot about this tread until I made it to the gym today. Figured I would film a pull up set. Haha. Excuse the gay angle. Haha.

Good stuff. For others who watched, I'm curious if his slight hip thrusting is considered kipping/cheating (when compared to strict form)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #293
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Good stuff. For others who watched, I'm curious if his slight hip thrusting is considered kipping/cheating (when compared to strict form)
that's fine. I wouldn't consider that kipping or cheating.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #294
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Snowball View Post

I'd like to see this. I only count reps where the arms are fully extended.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #295
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that's fine. I wouldn't consider that kipping or cheating.
ok, I was wondering because I'm pretty sure I am doing the same thing on my chinups (which I consider to be pretty strict).
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #296
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I'd like to see this. I only count reps where the arms are fully extended.
Alright still working on that video...haha.

6 speed
E46Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #297
M3Inline6

I don't think z00 ever posted a video of himself doing pull-ups. Show and prove son!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #298
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

I don't think z00 ever posted a video of himself doing pull-ups. Show and prove son!
Ohh snap

Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #299
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Ohh snap

I'll be surprised it he puts his money (..errr...his video) where his mouth is.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #300
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.

How much did he claim to do?

Snik is offline   Reply With Quote