E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
klangford
I got nothin'

My Ride: 07 Maserati QP
Send a message via AIM to klangford
How do I get free chargers? I don't STEAL them! :)

First, thanks to Fergo_the_mule for being kind enough to ask me how I pull this off. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of hate for this but that's ok - I never claimed to be perfect, just clever.

If you didn't already know, I will tell you that I travel a great deal - even though I'm now in the mobile app biz; selling is still done in person so I am now into my 20th year of plane, trains & automobiles as a sales guy. Over those years I've left my fair share of laptop chargers, phone chargers, electric razors, ipod chargers, etc in hotel rooms across America.

As luck would have it I had to go back to a hotel a few weeks after having lost a phone charger. I was sure I left it at this hotel. After checking in I went back down to the desk and began to tell my story to the clerk. "Hello - I was here a few weeks ago and I think I left my phone charger....". Before I could finish my story, the manager disappeared briefly behind the counter and reappeared with a giant box/tote of chargers of all types. She explained that this is the "box of unclaimed chargers" I could have "anything I needed'. She went on to explain that after the box is overflowing they throw it all away and start over. Thus, she encouraged to take anything I wanted from the box as they throw them out regularly. I only took an Android charger at the time (I was an Android guy back then) and left the rest of the things - but I did notice all the varied laptop chargers (Dell, Apple, Lenovo, etc). That fact didn't go unnoticed.

Some time after that I was on the road again and stupidly left my laptop charger at the office - I was really screwed because I used the laptop on the plane and damn near killed the battery. When I got to the hotel I decided to test what I had learned weeks earlier and went down to the hotel and simply told them "I left my laptop adapter at my office - any chance you guys have a box of unclaimed..." again, before I finished the story the clerk pulls out a giant box of chargers & adapters and said "help yourself". This time it was a bit more difficult because I had a Dell Latitude at the time and they do not all take the same plug but I did find one. I offered to return it after charging and she also said, "why? We will just throw it away later, its yours".

In recent years as Macbooks became more popular I've repeated the process from hotel to hotel. Not all keep the unclaimed units handy; some claim to throw them away immediately. But MANY do have a giant box that they will offer up to anyone who takes time to rummage through it.

Is it honest? Of course not. Is it being opportunistic and saving myself headache and a few bucks, you bet. I tell myself that I'm doing a good thing and saving the environment by recycling those chargers instead of letting them wind up in a landfill somewhere.

So that's the story about how I get free chargers. I don't STEAL them. I'm up front with the clerks. They always say "keep it, we will just throw them away". I will also note that it helps to look like a business traveller and not a teen trying to scam a free charger. I also befriend the clerk, get them into conversation, etc. and I only approach them when the counter is dead so that it isn't inconvenient for them to help me.

If I had time I could probably drive around to every hotel in my market and just ask them for the box of unclaimed chargers, sell them on eBay and make bank but "ain't nobody got time for that!"
2000 328i - Daughter's first BMW
2007 Maserati Quattroporte - my current ride
klangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Lol! Next time I leave my charger I know what to do.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Das Borgen

My Ride: 748, E36, E38
I don't see anything wrong with that. It's maybe a bit objectionable morally but it's not a bad thing
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Lol, I've done this too. A friend told me about it.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Smart, and a good way to reduce waste. I'll keep this in mind!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Claim you stayed in their hotel last week and left 7 macbook chargers in your room... ebay.. profit

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Funny, I just did this at Atlantic city, forgot my iphone charger and front desk brought out a bin full of chargers. She gave me 3 lol.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Claim you stayed in their hotel last week and left 7 macbook chargers in your room... ebay.. profit
now THAT is unscrupulous
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
not the answer I was expecting. Clever

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Bimmer App

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
I thought everyone did this? I always ask the front desk if I forgot to bring something on a trip. Next time you go to Hawaii, ask the front desk if they have extra floaties or noodles, etc. No one ever bring those things back home.

Wb klangford. Your posts seem to be more refined nowadays. I noticed you moved on up from the silver E46 sedan.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
klangford
I got nothin'

My Ride: 07 Maserati QP
Send a message via AIM to klangford
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
Wb klangford. Your posts seem to be more refined nowadays. I noticed you moved on up from the silver E46 sedan.
Thanks - I try to be civil but I still slip back into pure a-hole mode now and again. Yes I've moved on from that first 99-e46 but I'm still all about silver - just a personal thing - shows less dirt IMHO
2000 328i - Daughter's first BMW
2007 Maserati Quattroporte - my current ride
klangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
It sounds to me like you're contributing to the global hotel charger inventory as much as you're taking from it. So it's kinda charger-libraryish. Lol

However, I don't understand constantly losing/leaving them behind in hotels or office or home. Isn't there a spot for it in your laptop case thats glaringly obvious if its empty? Can you tell yourself never to zip/snap shut the case/bag until all the goodies are inside? Make a checklist of electronic goodies, laminate it and keep it in your wallet to review before you head out the door? Keep everything together in one spot so its visually obvious if anything is being left behind because that spot should be empty when youre done packing up?

I can be a total retard when it comes to remembering things, esp if I'm in a rush to get out the door, so I've tried to build habits or have a process that insulates me from my own distractions.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Saw this idea on Reddit a couple years ago, never used it though.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
"I took a Macbook charger once from the hotel. Headed back to the room. Saw a mermaid. Nailed her. Turned out it was a seabass, whatever. They all look the same on a bed of ice."

Last edited by teleopti; 02-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
teleopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I would get all the chargers and put them up for sale cheap. Honestly, who cares if you make some money doing so (if you were to go that route.) Fvck every company trying to make $40-$100 on a goddamn wire. In a pinch i had to buy a car charger for the iPhone 5... a shitty little 2 USB plug for the cigarette lighter, and the lightning cable, $40.

F that, if you have the energy to hook people up with 50% face value for free money, essentially... i support you rofl
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Okay, it's not exactly stealing.

The part where you say that "you tell yourself x, y and z" pretty much sums up the moral issue.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
It sounds to me like you're contributing to the global hotel charger inventory as much as you're taking from it. So it's kinda charger-libraryish. Lol

However, I don't understand constantly losing/leaving them behind in hotels or office or home. Isn't there a spot for it in your laptop case thats glaringly obvious if its empty? Can you tell yourself never to zip/snap shut the case/bag until all the goodies are inside? Make a checklist of electronic goodies, laminate it and keep it in your wallet to review before you head out the door? Keep everything together in one spot so its visually obvious if anything is being left behind because that spot should be empty when youre done packing up?

I can be a total retard when it comes to remembering things, esp if I'm in a rush to get out the door, so I've tried to build habits or have a process that insulates me from my own distractions.
I'm super anal and careful not to leave anything when I check out of a hotel, but for some reason my phone charger disappears almost every time I travel. They need to make those things neon green . . black chargers turn invisible when you start packing.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
i still don't understand why you feel the need to steel macbook chargers from starving african children. you're sick man.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
MrAdventure

My Ride: '99 Z3, '00 328Ci
I tried the same thing at a Dodge dealer. It did not end well.
MrAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote