E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Yeah the screw heads on them are usually facing to the bottom of the vehicle. I recommend switching them around once you get them off and have them facing up so if you have to remove them again it's much easier.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackenWkN View Post
... and I'm guessing the whistling noise I have going on right now( which is at random times mostly idling or accelerating a little bit) I'm assuming its the boot so that will get looked at as well
So I too have this "whistling noise". To me it sounds like a pulley going bad, but its [1] NOT coming from the pulley area but near the DISA area (which I checked out and things look great) [2] I've replaced all of the pulleys, belts, hoses, WP, ET, OFHG, recently the CCV and hoses, oil-dipstick o-ring, ICV gasket & cleaning, TB gasket & cleaning, replaced both intake bellows.

I still have the noise. So all thats left is a random vacuum line that snakes under the intake manifold (which all looked fine during my CCV replacement) or the alternator bearings are starting to wear down.

My noise too appears at idle and disappears when under throttle. Seems to be louder in colder temperatures.

Let us know if you find it. Will do the same.

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Thanks guys for recommending those links cause I did write them for people like the OP. It's frustrating when people dismiss it as a waste of money but they don't realize that when people follow the basics I laid out, they have no problems.

Do what you want with the advice but trust me, it all needs to be done at some point. You can't just buy these cars for the badge and not take the responsibility that comes with it. It's a precision machine that needs plenty of servicing to run properly

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
Surrept

No one dismissed anything. I agree I've done pretty much all of those things. But some don't need to be done immediately after purchase. Thats just common sense. Every vehicle is different with different maintenance history.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Surrept

And I wouldn't call throwing money at things that don't need replacing "responsible".
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Unless you have receipts or date stamps on the parts, assume it hasn't be done. It's a BMW, not a hot dog stand. Take some responsibility

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
It's a BMW, not a hot dog stand.
But what if my car does shoot hot dogs out the tail pipe????
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #28
Surrept

You don't need a service record to know if your oil housing gasket is leaking, you dont need a service record to tell you if your final stage resistor is working, you dont need service records to tell you if your alternator is working or not, and you don't ****in need a service record to tell you that your disa is working properly or not. It's not a matter of responsibility to the vehicle its a matter of common sense and using your eyes/ears.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
You don't need a service record to know if your oil housing gasket is leaking, you dont need a service record to tell you if your final stage resistor is working, you dont need service records to tell you if your alternator is working or not, and you don't ****in need a service record to tell you that your disa is working properly or not. It's not a matter of responsibility to the vehicle its a matter of common sense and using your eyes/ears.
Oil filter housing gasket is $5. You do it while you're in there cleaning the TB/ICV/etc.

I've never replaced my DISA, but I've cleaned, inspected, and re-sealed it.

See quote in my sig re: owning a cat.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
Patton323I

Quote:
Its called preventative maintenance tiger. The part isn't going to shout at you right before it fails. And parts on these cars have a tendency to break without expectation. So in replacing them before they fail, you eliminate the chance of the part failing.

Last edited by Patton323I; 02-21-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361470675
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Its called preventative maintenance tiger. The part isn't going to shout at you right before it fails. And parts on these cars have a tendency to break without expectation. So in replacing them before they fail, you eliminate the chance of the part failing.
that's exactly right. everything is "still good" until it breaks. just ask the guy whose old/dry rotted tires that failed on the freeway. His tires were "still good."

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #32
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
stop replacing parts and replace entire vehicle before something else breaks

^ mango mentality
tks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post

^ mango mentality
like i said, my guides are just the basics. that's nowhere near "the entire car"

and no, it's the mentality of the majority of the forum.

people like hoebama, goingnuts, mercforhire would tend to agree with you.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
First thing: go to club, find bitches, tell those bitches you own a BMW and smash. /theend

No, but really just follow Mango's guides and your car will be good as new.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post

^ mango mentality
Wow dude... Its not hard work to perform, nor is it expensive. So... whats the issue?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Wow dude... Its not hard work to perform, nor is it expensive. So... whats the issue?
I think you just said what the issue is.

It's fine--not everyone is rich (including myself) but when people pretend that is NOT the issue, that's when I.. take issue.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #37
Surrept

Leaking oil housing gasket wont strand you, nor will a failing disa, and nor will a faulty fsr...Preventative is important if it prevents you from driving, otherwise its a waste. Tires obviously are different considering they put your life in danger. The only thing id be willing to agree on possibly is the voltage regulator but considering I went through 3 on my last e46 in a matter of 4 years, I wouldn't trust new/rebuilt over what I was currently using.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Leaking oil housing gasket wont strand you, nor will a failing disa, and nor will a faulty fsr...Preventative is important if it prevents you from driving, otherwise its a waste. Tires obviously are different considering they put your life in danger. The only thing id be willing to agree on possibly is the voltage regulator but considering I went through 3 on my last e46 in a matter of 4 years, I wouldn't trust new/rebuilt over what I was currently using.
FSR has been known to drain batteries. it will leave you stranded. not everything on my list can leave you stranded--that's not why you do them. you do them so your car will run at peak performance. it's nice to drive a nice car. very nice

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #39
Surrept

Quote:
My RAM in my motherboard could fail too, and it's fairly cheap to replace. Why don't I replace that? Cause it doesn't f'n need replacing. A lot of things in life COULD fail, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's a god damn BMW and the idea that somehow it's the holy grail of cars and all parts should be replaced every so often to maintain it is ridiculous. I'm a fanatic, but not to the point of stupidity. Your working FSR might give you 3 more years before starting to show signs of failure, why on earth would you replace it. Same goes for all the other stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
My RAM in my motherboard could fail too, and it's fairly cheap to replace. Why don't I replace that? Cause it doesn't f'n need replacing. A lot of things in life COULD fail, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's a god damn BMW and the idea that somehow it's the holy grail of cars and all parts should be replaced every so often to maintain it is ridiculous. I'm a fanatic, but not to the point of stupidity. Your working FSR might give you 3 more years before starting to show signs of failure, why on earth would you replace it. Same goes for all the other stuff.
RAM doesn't have a track record for failing. You can produce all the obscure ridiculous scenarios you want, but truth is you are the clear minority here and absolutely do not know what you are talking about.

I will say nothing more on this

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 02-21-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361481559