E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I think the point is being missed. Is anyone surprised that there are liberal biases in the touchy feely classes? However, my business classes did not have any sort of liberal or conservative bent to them at all.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
As evidenced by a large number of unemployed college grads. You can go to a big 10 school, spend a fortune, and come out without ANY knowledge (useful that is) whatsoever. You will come out with someone else's opinion welded in your head, and you'll probably be working near minimum wage.
There's an even larger number of unemployed non-college grads. College degree = better chances of being employed and earning more money over the course of a lifetime, on average.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Well, I've argued that unless you are becoming a professional, college is a complete waste of time and a poor investment. People wonder why our manufacturing jobs are going overseas....when was the last time you heard someone going to a trade school?
The dirty little secret is a lot of these "professional jobs" would do better with trade schools than they would with colleges. Most tech jobs could be handled by trade schools as well as many of the university programs do. The vast majority of tech professionals don't need to know compiler theory, the took a data structures and still can't organize or build them for jack, things like java do garbage collection for you so they don't even know how to follow their own code to make sure their code frees the stuff it doesn't use or hasn't used over a given interval. They are taught system resources are endless, so using them efficiently isn't something they need to be concerned with. And I won't even go into the teaching of UI design, where there only thing that matters is gold plating a turd.

Are there areas where a 4 year "hard" comp sci degree would be more useful than what could be learned in a trade school. Sure, but, 80-90% of those "professionals are never going to get those jobs, even if they had the 4 year degree in the first place.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 539
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I have no problem with education. Unfortunately, the majority of universities teach nothing but propaganda. The classes are now "opinion lectures" and they are all having d!ck measuring contests as to who can hire the more controversial figure, to entice students. On Ivy league schools employs someone who denies the holocaust ever happens, so the next will hire an ex dictator. Maybe Charles Taylor will be hired by NYU to teach human relation studies?

There is a BIG difference between education, and the drivel taught in American schools....which explains why the US is FAAAR down the list....not to mention, having this guy teach would further perpetuate the kids into getting a POOR financial education.

US higher education schools constantly rank among the best in the world:

http://www.usnews.com/education/worl...s-in-the-world

So the kids will have a poor financial education because this guy is teaching about managing through a crisis? Think of the children..the poor poor children.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
There's an even larger number of unemployed non-college grads. College degree = better chances of being employed and earning more money over the course of a lifetime, on average.
You are correct, but that number has A LOT of other variables in it. I think something along the lines of college grad vs trade school grad would be a better comparison for the purposes of discussing the "benefit" of college....just my opinion.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
US higher education schools constantly rank among the best in the world:

http://www.usnews.com/education/worl...s-in-the-world

So the kids will have a poor financial education because this guy is teaching about managing through a crisis? Think of the children..the poor poor children.
What exactly is he going to teach them? I also don't care "about the children" because MY children are not going to set foot in a liberal school. Like evolved said, they are a private institution. You have the freedom to send your kids there, and I have the freedom NOT to.

As to the core of your argument....I don't see them offering jobs to any conservative economists, politicians, etc. I doubt Peter Schiff's phone or Ron Paul's phone was ringing.

Would you support Charles Taylor teaching a class on genocide?
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-21-2013 at 11:46 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 539
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
What exactly is he going to teach them? I also don't care "about the children" because MY children are not going to set foot in a liberal school. Like evolved said, they are a private institution. You have the freedom to send your kids there, and I have the freedom NOT to.

As to the core of your argument....I don't see them offering jobs to any conservative economists, politicians, etc. I doubt Peter Schiff's phone or Ron Paul's phone was ringing.

Would you support Charles Taylor teaching a class on genocide?
You know how I know you are an idiot?

A: Because you ask stupid f-cking questions like the one you asked
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
There's an even larger number of unemployed non-college grads. College degree = better chances of being employed and earning more money over the course of a lifetime, on average.
Does that take into account crippling amounts of student debt or does it just look at income? Me thinks, only looks and compares income while conveniently leaving out debt.

Also, history and economics classes can easily be biased...so not just intro to lesbian amputee poetry studies.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #29
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Does that take into account crippling amounts of student debt or does it just look at income? Me thinks, only looks and compares income while conveniently leaving out debt.

Also, history and economics classes can easily be biased...so not just intro to lesbian amputee poetry studies.
The earnings over the lifetime are far greater, at least in the numbers I've seen, to the extent that they easily make up for the time lost from not working + student loans. Not to mention that the average student loan debt isn't this gigantic number.....if I remember correctly it's around 20K.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
What exactly is he going to teach them? I also don't care "about the children" because MY children are not going to set foot in a liberal school. Like evolved said, they are a private institution. You have the freedom to send your kids there, and I have the freedom NOT to.

As to the core of your argument....I don't see them offering jobs to any conservative economists, politicians, etc. I doubt Peter Schiff's phone or Ron Paul's phone was ringing.

Would you support Charles Taylor teaching a class on genocide?
What qualifies as a liberal vs. a non-liberal institution? Is Columbia a liberal institution?
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
What qualifies as a liberal vs. a non-liberal institution? Is Columbia a liberal institution?
Not sure if srs but if so, yes Columbia is a liberal institution....extremely liberal. So liberal in fact that people like Lair would probably be considered crazy right wingers.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Not sure if srs but if so, yes Columbia is a liberal institution....extremely liberal. So liberal in fact that people like Lair would probably be considered crazy right wingers.

Maybe I don't know much about Columbia at large, but I know it's Ivy League and they have an awesome business school that puts out some of THE best professionals.

In any event, I guess I would be happy if my (future) kid got accepted to an Ivy League institution and I wouldn't control them to the point of saying they can or can not go there based on the perceived politics.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-21-2013 at 02:56 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Maybe I don't know much about Columbia at large, but I know it's Ivy League and they have an awesome business school that puts out some of THE best professionals.

In any event, I guess I would be happy if my (future) kid got accepted to an Ivy League institution and I wouldn't control them to the point of saying they can or can not go there based on the perceived politics.
And that's the beauty of a free country. Your kids, your choice.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 539
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
And that's the beauty of a free country. Your kids, your choice.
Shouldn't it be their choice? After all, it is a free country.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Shouldn't it be their choice? After all, it is a free country.
It's becoming less and less free.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom
Europeans are stoopid. They keep splitting countries, while being jealous of our powa. Of course the EU is good for them, but does that have any real power?

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Shouldn't it be their choice? After all, it is a free country.
Indeed it should. I guess it's my choice to steer them in the right direction. By the time my daughter is college age, Ivy league schools will cost $180K a year, so it doesn't matter.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use