E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Obama admin and Friend of the court breif in the Prop 8 case...

The Obama admin has a week left to file a "friend of the court brief" to SCOTUS on the Prop 8 case. While SCOTUS can chose to use or ignore any or all of the brief, if submitted at all. Should the admin file such a brief.

We are hearing from, even from some in the conservative camp, "lets just get this done with and move on." Given the increase in overturns of DOMA at the ballot box and public opinion polls having shift to a a majority in favor of legalizing same-sex unions. A friend of the court brief with why the US DOJ has chosen to not defend challenges to DOMA could hold some weight.

So, in the hypothetical, if this "friend of the court brief were to be the tipping point" would you want the admin to file it, just to get this issue off the national collective political landscape so we could move on to "more important things"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...green&ir=green
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...marriage-case/

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 02-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
So what the people want only matters when it's stuff you agree with, got it.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Pretty much.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Pretty much.
How is it different from the **** you guys constantly put up?

The sh1t you guys post only matters when you agree with it or somehow you have exposed someone in some grand scheme.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

The sh1t you guys post only matters when you agree with it or somehow you have exposed someone in some grand scheme.
I'm pretty rational and will agree with someone else's opinion if it seems just, logical, and unbiased.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

Prop 8 was a vote, they put it to the people. That's what I am referring to.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Pretty much.
I hold that Prop 8 is unconstitutional and as such it doesn't matter what the majority voted for. Nor do I believe that a Friend of the Court brief will matter. The argument for its unconstitutionality is pretty hefty.

I merely posed the question since the item of "we have more important things to deal with, so give the gays marriage and be done with it" has come up, and most often from anti-Obama conservatives.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Act of God

I don't care either way, but I've seen liberals tout "what the people support" on many occasions as grounds for doing whatever they want...like gun control.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

Quote:
I don't care either way, but I've seen liberals tout "what the people support" on many occasions as grounds for doing whatever they want...like gun control.
Gun control, higher taxation on the rich, better social services for the unwilling, spending more on wasteful and unproductive renewable energy programs, etc.

It's like a lot of extreme liberal ideals are ass backwards and poorly thought out with no regards to efficiency or precise execution. Same can be said for extreme conservative views though. Too much of one thing is never good for you.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 02-21-2013 at 11:07 PM.