E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
I'm on a Mac. Elevation?

Last edited by smooth1; 02-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
I'm on a Mac. Elevation?
Lol. Been editing my previous post before realizing that you responded on page 2 about 4 mins ago.
approx 12 feet above sea level...
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
smooth1

It's possible your MAF is reading high or your idle control is not doing its job. I'd still suggest you look at some of those logs for reference. They're much easier to look at than what you're currently using.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
basketthis

Quote:
It's possible your MAF is reading high or your idle control is not doing its job. I'd still suggest you look at some of those logs for reference. They're much easier to look at than what you're currently using.
After going through this, I'm considering buying a different scan tool. I know you recommended another software initially. Right now, I'm looking into OBDPros USB model here. And the OBD 2007 software possibly? Here. I will probably pair it with an old toughbook or laptop.

This seems to be the legitimate and most reliable software, includes future updates, and covers every vehicle. Appears it will monitor every system in real-time. Can you advise on this software/hardware combination?

Last edited by basketthis; 02-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
smooth1

I only suggested you playback some logs from another 325 to compare to.

That software is going to be very slow. It's up to you what you decide to pursue.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
basketthis

Quote:
I only suggested you playback some logs from another 325 to compare to.

That software is going to be very slow. It's up to you what you decide to pursue.
Yes. I have played back logs. They seem that the MAF isn't reporting properly on my setup.
Why do you say that software will be slow? I don't have any experience with software and am not sure what to look for so any help is great. Also, does the scanner itself seem nice?

More info on the MAF: gonna grab the one locally for 40 and try it in a couple hours. Will report back on that.
So, back to square one. The guy was claiming the MAF was oem Siemens type. Tried to pass off some aftermarket piece on me... Looks like I'll be ordering one.

Last edited by basketthis; 02-22-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
smooth1

Any OBD2 standard software will be slow because it is limited to OBD2 standards.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
basketthis

Quote:
Any OBD2 standard software will be slow because it is limited to OBD2 standards.
I'm trying not to read into what you are saying, but I think you're saying that I can buy the cord I choose, either obdpro or obdcom, and get the software that you linked earlier and I will get the results I am looking for?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
smooth1

No, what I said was any standard OBD2 software, which is what you've posted so far, will be slow because it is using the standard slow OBD2 protocols. I'm not sure how you derived that from what I said. If you're looking into the software I posted the links to the cable you need are right on the website. If you're happy with standard OBD2 software then I've given you some things to look at already in your logging.

Last edited by smooth1; 02-23-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
basketthis

Quote:
No, what I said was any standard OBD2 software, which is what you've posted so far, will be slow because it is using the standard slow OBD2 protocols. I'm not sure how you derived that from what I said. If you're looking into the software I posted the links to the cable you need are right on the website. If you're happy with standard OBD2 software then I've given you some things to look at already in your logging.
Thanks for your help. Gonna have another look at that link. Missed it the first time.
My main thing is to be sure the cable will work with other vehicles that i own.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
smooth1

Most softwares are made by lazy people who would rather use an interpreter like the ELM327 than learn the real protocols and support a direct connection. That means you're pretty limited. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
basketthis

Quote:
Most softwares are made by lazy people who would rather use an interpreter like the ELM327 than learn the real protocols and support a direct connection. That means you're pretty limited. Good luck.
Looking at inpa now. And getting a serial port to obd2 connector. I've read a couple writeups and they seem to be the best. No drivers needed and I can still do abs, airbag, etc... (which is the big thing you lose with alot of those softwares)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #33
smooth1

That will also be super slow, but you can connect to every module. Very useful.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
basketthis

Quote:
That will also be super slow, but you can connect to every module. Very useful.
Lol. I'm trying to avoid slow here. Would a change in software fix this? And would the software you recommended work with this type of cord? Apparently this is "the way BMW connects to the cars". Why would they use slow graphs?

Last edited by basketthis; 02-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
smooth1

Unfortunately the way the factory software is designed it requests an entire packet full of information to pick out one single item, like RPM. To get two items you've moved a huge amount of data. The factory software also operates at the slowest baud rate that the DME supports. You want to have it anyway, so I'd suggest you try it out.

Yes, you can use that software and INPA with a simple FTDI based USB to K-Line cable. They're about $10 for the cable.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #36
basketthis

Quote:
Unfortunately the way the factory software is designed it requests an entire packet full of information to pick out one single item, like RPM. To get two items you've moved a huge amount of data. The factory software also operates at the slowest baud rate that the DME supports. You want to have it anyway, so I'd suggest you try it out.

Yes, you can use that software and INPA with a simple FTDI based USB to K-Line cable. They're about $10 for the cable.
I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to get the serial port to obd2 connector. Unless there is a major reason why not. So I guess my question is, will the software work with that cord?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
smooth1

Quote:
Already answered that.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
basketthis

Quote:
Already answered that.
Didn't realize it was FTDI. Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
smooth1

INPA will work with any cable that creates a COM port. USB to Serial adapters will create a virtual COM port that will work. The other software uses direct USB so only FTDI devices are supported.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
basketthis

Quote:
INPA will work with any cable a COM port. USB to Serial adapters will create a virtual COM port that will work. The other software uses direct USB so only FTDI devices are supported.
I think it's starting to make sense.
For accessing all systems, serial port to obd2 connector with inpa.
For reading sensors and putting everything into a quality graph, kline usb to obd2 with the software you recommended.
I realize I am dragging this out. This is very informative and getting little bits and pieces from other threads clearly hasn't helped to this point! Lol. I have never seen any comments on how fast or slow the software reads/graphs. Thanks again. And if this is the case, I will probably end up with multiple cords.