E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Better than BSW??

Anyone have any experience with this Speaker kit that replaces the HK speakers?? Seller claims better sound. Any thoughts?

It is advertised on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series...81042185247%26

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
A bit too over the top for me.
SQ is in the ear of the listener. It doesn't matter if the seller says it'll sound better, it matters if you think it sounds better.
Note also that the seller say "New condition", not "NEW".
Did a quick Google on mods4bimmers, and came up with hits all over the world, France, Italy, Spain, US, Germany all advertising the same thing.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I think that's TJQMaster over at bimmerforums. The gist I got from the thread he made from when he was researching -- he picked a bunch of speakers off the shelf, made brackets for them, and decided to charge $600. I suspect actual parts would be maybe $200. I'd rather DIY
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I think that's TJQMaster over at bimmerforums. The gist I got from the thread he made from when he was researching -- he picked a bunch of speakers off the shelf, made brackets for them, and decided to charge $600. I suspect actual parts would be maybe $200. I'd rather DIY
I think you are right. I did a little research.
I believe he is using Dayton speakers. I came up with about $384 cost for the(12) speakers to buy off the shelf without any bulk purchase discounts.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Someone actually replied and I'll keep this sort. They are off the shelf parts from Parts Express. The ad is also VERY misleading. He is comparing his speaker replacement for the HK subs(These are MIDBASS speakers) against an actual subwoofer system. He also is using 4ohm speakers which to be blunt are not matched to the OEM system. Harmon Kardon does not use 4ohm midbass speakers.

His upgrade would pale in comparison to ours in fit, finish and performance. I'd love to compare his midbass, I mean 'subwoofers', to our actual subwoofer kit with an amp and 10" sub. He is just using our name for brand recognition to get hits on searches.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth

Last edited by Halston@BSW; 02-14-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360895574
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
Halston@BSW is right, you can get most of these parts from parts express. I have no experience with BSW (Sorry BSW), but I do have speakers and tweeters from parts express in my e46, and for an audiophile, I am very happy with the results!

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
yep.....apples and oranges.....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodotorg View Post
Halston@BSW is right, you can get most of these parts from parts express. I have no experience with BSW (Sorry BSW), but I do have speakers and tweeters from parts express in my e46, and for an audiophile, I am very happy with the results!

That is what is most important. Enjoying your upgrade

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
rideagain2002

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I actually bought this set up, it does require a little work on your part. I dont mind a guy making a little money by putting it all together for me. I need to install the speakers that relpace the h/k subs, and finish putting the car back together, but upon initial test they do sound better than the stock h/k speakers. For myself I just wanted to clean up the sound with out spending to much, I was going to go the bsw route, as I really like the look and symplicity, but once you add the sub it was just more than I wanted to spend. Yes they are dayton speakers and you can probly put it all together yourself, but I wasnt sure and it showed up at my house all ready to go. So from my perspective its a fair deal, Kevin
rideagain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
Someone actually replied and I'll keep this sort. They are off the shelf parts from Parts Express. The ad is also VERY misleading. He is comparing his speaker replacement for the HK subs(These are MIDBASS speakers) against an actual subwoofer system. He also is using 4ohm speakers which to be blunt are not matched to the OEM system. Harmon Kardon does not use 4ohm midbass speakers.

His upgrade would pale in comparison to ours in fit, finish and performance. I'd love to compare his midbass, I mean 'subwoofers', to our actual subwoofer kit with an amp and 10" sub. He is just using our name for brand recognition to get hits on searches.
As long as he goes with a speaker of a higher impedance he'll be just fine. You just can't go down in impedance unless your amp is stable down to the speaker's impedance. AFAIK, the HK amps are 2 ohm stable which is pretty rare to be stable down that low. At the higher impedance all he'll have is reduced output between 3-6 dB's assuming the replacement's efficiency is exactly the same. If its a more efficient speaker then he would be losing nothing. In a noisy vehicle environment I seriously doubt anyone would notice either way.

Last edited by 330iPilot; 03-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Halston@BSW, any idea when your E46 replacement amp will come out? you guys have been saying "soon" for literally half a decade or more. I used to contact you about this on other forums several years ago and you also said soon (for the E36) and still nada? Is BSW actually working on an amp? why the holdup? dejavu! thanks

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
rideagain2002

Just a little update.I finished with my install of the ebay e46 speaker upgrade, it sounds better than my h/k speakers, however they were 12 years old. This system does reqire you to do some work, but I think its very doable by an average person. As far as the ohms of the sub replacment goes, he states very clearly that is you bridge the two new speakers together they will have the correct ohm level, as they are 4 ohm speakes I think that works. As far as comparing a dedicated sub to replacing two 6x9 speakers, I would hope that it sounded better, I think an independent sub with individual control would round the system out a little better but I am very satisfied with the overall improvment in sound quality at, what I consider a fait price, Kevin
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
330iPilot

Do you have the model #'s of each driver? I would like to purchase them and do it myself. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
rideagain2002

I feel as though I would be doing him a disservice by giving you the information. He put in what ever time to match the speakers and make the mounts, he gave some pretty good instructions on the install, and answered questions pretty quick when I had them. So in a nut shell no, I will not give out the model numbers, although i'm sure they would be easy enough to find, Kevin
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
330iPilot

Whatever.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Kengineer

My Ride: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
I think you are right. I did a little research.
I believe he is using Dayton speakers. I came up with about $384 cost for the(12) speakers to buy off the shelf without any bulk purchase discounts.
What a tool... That is an apples to oranges comparison he is making. I got $279.72 and the pictures match up. Here's the part numbers from Parts Express...

photo E46Speakers_zps9255355d.jpg

If I were BSW I would go after him for using my pictures and advertisements...
Kengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
330iPilot

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks K!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Kengineer

My Ride: 2009 335d
Soo, I ordered all of these parts for my 2003 330I HK system for speaker/transducer replacement.

I worked at a custom car stereo shop for 5 years when I was in college (yes my bachelors in mechanical engineering took me 5 years...).

Since the HK system seems to be mainly a 3ohm system, it should be able to adapt to these transducers/speakers. I believe the greatest potential weak-point of this setup is the 6.5in "subwoffers" DC160-4. Depending on how these sound I am thinking I may replace them with the Tang Band 6x9's wired in parallel to 4ohm; mono on a JL Audio (I love that company) JX250 1 Mono Block amplifier to power them. I have had "systems" all my life and decided not to molest my E46 when I got it 6 years ago. Now that it is over 100k miles and ten years old I realize the speakers have probably seen better days, but I still want to maintain the stock look and not give up my limited trunk space.

Last edited by Kengineer; 03-10-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Kengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Circuitsoft

My Ride: 2002 325xi Wagon
Kengineer, if you can fit the W6-1139SI or (better) W6-1139SIF, you'll probably get deeper, and cleaner, bass than you would get with the W69-1042J, due to the smaller Vas of the round drivers. I actually have a pair of the W6-1139SI that I want to sell, since I can't fit them in my xiT (worked great in my Saab).
Circuitsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
I think the Vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer is a better fit for the midrange. It presses into the mount almost perfectly. The sensitivity is a little better the the Aluminum Cone speaker. I repleased only these in my hk system and they sound great.

The woofers look like a good fit as others have commented on their fit and sound for bmw.

Last edited by packrat555; 03-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote