E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #21
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
This is exactly what I do as well.

Still the #1 mod available for our convertible.

Don't forget there is only one way to install this. One way works, the other way it will drop on you when driving

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

Last edited by petemo94; 02-13-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Mispellingg
petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
mxracer707

My Ride: 2006 BMW 325ci
damn, I really need to get myself one of these
mxracer707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Nycscoobydan

My Ride: 330Cci
I was looking at picking up one for myself. I saw that a company called lovethedrive.com sells a similar wind deflector for a bunch of different vehicles. Has anyone had experience with these, or should I spend the extra money for the OE product?

http://www.lovethedrive.com/catalog/...000_to_2006/28
Nycscoobydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
$395 is near OE new price and you can watch on here or on Ebay and pick one up a used OE for $250 to $350. Search and be patient. You will love it, sure makes the vert more enjoyable more often. Good luck!

Max
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
$395 is near OE new price and you can watch on here or on Ebay and pick one up a used OE for $250 to $350. Search and be patient. You will love it, sure makes the vert more enjoyable more often. Good luck!

Max

I agree...I would wait for one to show up on ebay or here or other forums. Troll the for sale/classifieds. I got mine for $250 shipped on ebay, and I've seen a fair number in the range that Max'd notes above.

Last edited by Redflea; 02-21-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycscoobydan View Post
I was looking at picking up one for myself. I saw that a company called lovethedrive.com sells a similar wind deflector for a bunch of different vehicles. Has anyone had experience with these, or should I spend the extra money for the OE product?

http://www.lovethedrive.com/catalog/...000_to_2006/28
I can't be certain, but it looks narrower, the tubes holding it in place are chrome, not black, doesn't look like it has the little anti-theft pieces, and it definitely doesn't follow the contour of the rear seats.

So, why get this thing when you can get a better product - either new, for a few dollars more, or used for even less than this. Mine is 10 years old, used constantly, and is almost indistinguishable from brand new.

Don't screw around. Get the real McCoy
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
sgoetz628

Okay, I actually bothered to watch the video. Yes, it has the anti-theft device, but it doesn't look custom to our car. The deflector doesn't fold, you gotta screw with their screws to get it in the trunk - so it definitely is smaller. And while the talk about its cover, they don't actually show it. Why not? Ours is an excellent cover that both protects well and stores flat when not in use.

Really, a no-brainer.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Yea, what he ^ said.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
+1, go for the real deal.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjreston View Post
I bought my deflector off Craig's list about a month ago for $250 and the guy threw in 2 quarts of M3 Castrol he no longer needed. Hasn't been warm enough in northern Virginia (and not raining) to try it out. One question - is it possible to raise the top with the deflector installed? I'm thinking of those times you drive somewhere with the top down and when you park you'd like to put the top up for security purposes. Can you leave the deflector installed when you raise the top in this case?
I actually like having the windscreen in with the top up. You can drop both front windows without any wind blasting in

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
sgoetz628

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
I actually like having the windscreen in with the top up. You can drop both front windows without any wind blasting in

Ten years I've had the deflector and never made that connection. Omg! That is literally the only configuration that I don't like - top up/windows down. Now you've solved that for me. Thanks!

And yes OP, you can raise and lower your top with the wind deflector installed.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #32
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
Ten years I've had the deflector and never made that connection. Omg! That is literally the only configuration that I don't like - top up/windows down. Now you've solved that for me. Thanks!

And yes OP, you can raise and lower your top with the wind deflector installed.
awesome

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #33
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
she will be much more willing to put the top down
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
mcjreston

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert
Thanks everyone about leaving the deflector in with top up. I've put it in and am now waiting for warmer weather here in Northern Virginia. But I didn't even think of using it in the top up/windows down mode! I agree with sgoetz628 about that being the only drive I don't like. Solved!
mcjreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
snowdogdb

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Send a message via MSN to snowdogdb
How does it work with top down and all windows down? Or does that effectivly defeat it?

I've been looking for OEM... and have also considered the one from LoveTheDrive.com... anyone here tried one? There's a money back guarantee, so I may take one for the team.
snowdogdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #36
racee78

My Ride: 2008 M5
Being in a cooler climate I couldn't live without mine so congrats on your purchase!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
racee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #37
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdogdb View Post
How does it work with top down and all windows down? Or does that effectivly defeat it?

I've been looking for OEM... and have also considered the one from LoveTheDrive.com... anyone here tried one? There's a money back guarantee, so I may take one for the team.
Works great with the top down and windows down, that's how we use it most of the time. I wish I had one in my E39 for when my windows are down..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
First BMW

My Ride: 2002 325convertable
Wind deflector arrived...freakin' amazing!

I bought a LoveTheDrive last summer, shortly after I got my 2002 325ci. It was pricey but is well engineered and manufactured. True, it doesn't exactly follow the rear seat contour, but it does fit quite well. The black tubing is plenty beefy and it looks as good as OEM unit. The case is not as heavy as the original (based on the picture shown elsewhere in this thread) but I just use it to store the unit in my cellar during winter months.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
First BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #39
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
yep, a MUST have for verts.. this and a nice sounding exhaust... it completes the drop top therapy setup...
i never touch mine, its always up. roof up or down, whatever.

Last edited by Snik; 04-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #40
sgoetz628

Quote:
Originally Posted by First BMW View Post
I bought a LoveTheDrive last summer, shortly after I got my 2002 325ci. It was pricey but is well engineered and manufactured. True, it doesn't exactly follow the rear seat contour, but it does fit quite well. The black tubing is plenty beefy and it looks as good as OEM unit. The case is not as heavy as the original (based on the picture shown elsewhere in this thread) but I just use it to store the unit in my cellar during winter months.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Wondering what you paid for yours, as it's $395 on their website and I paid $350 for my OEM from a NJ dealer. The OEM is definitely a superior product for my convertible - for the reasons you mentioned as well as none of that screwing around with taking screws out and adjusting hooks.