E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Hmmm maybe your driveshaft guibo is bad. Do you have any associated vibrations with this sound?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
littledawg

My Ride: 2000 323i
No,no vibrations.it seems as though when I give it gas to accelerate it is not that bad but as soon as I take foot off pedal it starts....
littledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
I have never had a burning smell from changing any valve cover regardless of make.

Sounds like something maybe is rubbing or could have come loose?

Recent Maintenance: Spark Plugs/CCV/Expansion Tank/Radiator/Thermostat/Both Intake Boots/Air Filter/Cabin Filter/Valve Cover Gasket/Control Arm Bushings/All Pulleys/Hatch Shocks/Vanos Oil Line/Fuel Pump/Fuel Pressure Regulator/Rear Rotors & Pads/Belts/Water Hoses/Front End Links/Front Sway Bar Bushings/Alternator/Power Steering Hoses/Power Steering Reservoir.
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
littledawg

Yeah it does smell more like rubber than oil. My mechanic had mentioned the tires are wavy. It's a cheaper tire and they are all dry rot he said. I think it may be time for new tires but not sure if they would make the thumping sound. What is located under floor board by gas and break pedal that could make that thumping sounds.i can feel it right by my feet while driving but just can't pin point it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You can visually inspect the giubo (Universal Joint is the bmw part name), but not the csb...just behind it above exhaust and heat shield.

Both are possible.

Also possible, since you had all your wheels off is something as simple as the dustshield scraping.

Don't 'trust' entirely where you think the sound is coming from. Other possibles are the wheel bearings...you can test for those by seeing if the sound gets louder in a turn.

That burning rubber smell, that probably is oil, might be rubber...if your giubo is broken up and fraying...also check your belts.

GL...hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
littledawg

Got belts about year ago and rubber smell isn't like super strong it's a faint smell but def smells ever time drive car. I will get under there and see I can see guibo frayed. Can I see guibo without taking over that plastic shield? What dust shield are you referring too,brake sheild? Thanks for info...when turning the noise doesn't get worse. It seems like the noise goes away upon acceleration but as soon as I let my foot off gas it starts which leads me to think while acceleration the pressure is being taken off something from the slight raise in front end ? You guys think that's possible? Control arms, c a bushings,sway bar links and bushings and shocks were just replaced btw

Last edited by littledawg; 02-21-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
lucase46

My Ride: 2004 325i
I was having sone thumping/vibrations in my gas pedal and steering wheel for a year
Had my tires balanced few times, but still had the problem
Well yesterday 3 tires went out on me
Today im riding on brand new tires.....the vibrations and thumping is gone

Next for me is to change the ca, cab, end links, and tie rods...after reading dmax thread, ive decided to go with meyle parts
lucase46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Note: I only used Meyle HD control arm bushings. The control arms are lemforder. I also used lemf. sway bar links.

I can't give feedback on the meyle Control arms...but I'll say this...

My Lemforders were probably not original, but had at least 100K miles on them. After putting new ones on, I notice no difference...other than that my OE cabs were blown...easily 1/2" of play back and forth...something like that.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
littledawg

UPDATE: I changed my tire and rim today because front right rim was bent. While i had the tire off i was spinning the rotor, what is noticed is when i rotated left and right about 2" each way a heard a knock each time i stopped. I put my hand on the knuckle and could feel the knock too. Is this a bad bearing? My thumping noise is still there but better since i changed rim and tire and suggestions.