E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Brian's 325xi

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Exclamation Groan After Driving From Hub-Really at a Loss

Symptoms:
  • Cold Start-Slight Hum out of center of drivers wheel at 35-65 mph
  • Once Hot Speed Dependent Irregular Light Thud from 45-65 when not under power. Goes away when accelerating
  • When Hot bwub.....bwub....bwub when decelerating (braking makes it stop) from 7mph to zero chirp almost like brakes but shorter and higher pitched-this is with out brakes particularly up hills
  • Doesn't feel like car is solid but not really any vib in wheel
  • At 55 I can def feel vibration (not LCA/B) its faster speed-sensive than the light bwub bwub
  • Superer Hearing & Vibration Sensitive (no jokes! she really is a surgeon-always monitoring heartbeat/bp with her scalpel) Cannot Hear/Feel it from Passenger Side
  • Does it with Clutch/Gear In or Out

Here's THE WEIRD part after hot there a loan groan for 5 min coming out of what seems to be the hub? Would a wheel bearing do that not? Like a air compressor from a afar. The slightest touch with no pressure on the rim stops it.

It is 10x worse at 70 degrees than at 15 degrees and not really engine/drivetrain temp dependent. The car feels much less stable in warm weather.

I just completed an epic CV Job on that wheel that entailed taking the whole strut out after carrier pinch bolt snapped.

The problem seems to have come out of that job-although I brought it to two shops who said everything is great except the passenger side cv is starting to go. But part of me thinks that CV masked and combined the symptoms. This is real! But apparently not that bad to others.

Brakes have 1000 miles on them and the differential fluid was replaced-looked and smelled brand new no shavings at all.

My Thoughts in Order of what I think: 1)Wheel Bearing, 2) Axle, 3) Rotors, 4) Guibo, 5) Steering Rack, 6) Intake/Exhaust, 7) Diff

I'm so confused because of the Groaning Hub after driving.

It also used to make a vacuum (release) puff out of the rear drivers side of the engine with a sometimes erratic idle (bounce 700-1,300 rmps)-when engine hot & cold outside. Its not doing that puff but is doing the groan. RPM issue comes with weather. Could it be vacuum related?

Then axle (cardone) initial clunked when turning I was going to change it but it went away after 20 miles.

I just don't know where to start. I feel foolish pulling out the axle after two shops charged me $50 each to say its fine.

Where should I start?

I really need help, opinions, guidance on this!

You Guys are Godsend!

Brian

*Want a laugh? Read my post on what I did to my wife's car last night
Brian's 325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
littledawg

My Ride: 2000 323i
i have the same prob going on but i don't have any vibrations. I hear/feel a thumping like sound(like something is stuck in tire) and when i accelerate it seems to go away and as soon as i let go of gas i can feel it down by my feet on driver side. As i slow down the noise slows down. I think i may have a bad bearing? Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?
littledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Did you torque the axle nut to spec? It's a little over 300 ft.lbs. I have an old 92 e34 that in cold weather the wheel bearing makes a strange noise but goes away in warmer weather. Its done it for years. Could be a brake caliper starting to hang up. Drive it and brake a little hard. Jack it up and see if the caliper is hanging up.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Busy

My Ride: 01 330xi
Let's have an update already! Don't forget to post your resolutions.
Busy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
littledawg

still have the noise intermittently, it does seem worse when its colder out. Still can't find the root of the problem......
Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
littledawg

did you ever find out the problem or what was causing this noise. I have been having the same thing with my car for years now and can't figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's 325xi View Post
Symptoms:
  • Cold Start-Slight Hum out of center of drivers wheel at 35-65 mph
  • Once Hot Speed Dependent Irregular Light Thud from 45-65 when not under power. Goes away when accelerating
  • When Hot bwub.....bwub....bwub when decelerating (braking makes it stop) from 7mph to zero chirp almost like brakes but shorter and higher pitched-this is with out brakes particularly up hills
  • Doesn't feel like car is solid but not really any vib in wheel
  • At 55 I can def feel vibration (not LCA/B) its faster speed-sensive than the light bwub bwub
  • Superer Hearing & Vibration Sensitive (no jokes! she really is a surgeon-always monitoring heartbeat/bp with her scalpel) Cannot Hear/Feel it from Passenger Side
  • Does it with Clutch/Gear In or Out

Here's THE WEIRD part after hot there a loan groan for 5 min coming out of what seems to be the hub? Would a wheel bearing do that not? Like a air compressor from a afar. The slightest touch with no pressure on the rim stops it.

It is 10x worse at 70 degrees than at 15 degrees and not really engine/drivetrain temp dependent. The car feels much less stable in warm weather.

I just completed an epic CV Job on that wheel that entailed taking the whole strut out after carrier pinch bolt snapped.

The problem seems to have come out of that job-although I brought it to two shops who said everything is great except the passenger side cv is starting to go. But part of me thinks that CV masked and combined the symptoms. This is real! But apparently not that bad to others.

Brakes have 1000 miles on them and the differential fluid was replaced-looked and smelled brand new no shavings at all.

My Thoughts in Order of what I think: 1)Wheel Bearing, 2) Axle, 3) Rotors, 4) Guibo, 5) Steering Rack, 6) Intake/Exhaust, 7) Diff

I'm so confused because of the Groaning Hub after driving.

It also used to make a vacuum (release) puff out of the rear drivers side of the engine with a sometimes erratic idle (bounce 700-1,300 rmps)-when engine hot & cold outside. Its not doing that puff but is doing the groan. RPM issue comes with weather. Could it be vacuum related?

Then axle (cardone) initial clunked when turning I was going to change it but it went away after 20 miles.

I just don't know where to start. I feel foolish pulling out the axle after two shops charged me $50 each to say its fine.

Where should I start?

I really need help, opinions, guidance on this!

You Guys are Godsend!

Brian

*Want a laugh? Read my post on what I did to my wife's car last night
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Busy

My Ride: 01 330xi
I haven't had this car during the warmth of summer, but if the noise would become significantly less pronounced in the heat I'd lean towards a caliper.

I've had a siezed rear caliper cause dubstep noises around corners, so an easy test is to pop the wheel off, grab a short prybar/screwdriver and slide the blade throught the hole in the top of the caliper and pry to depress the piston(s). If it doesn't depress then you've found the/an issue.
Busy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
325xi, groan, steering, suspension, whine