E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
mbadger

My Ride: '02 325i '95 325ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea's M3 View Post
no it comes with a sd card that i believe has the maps on it which you plug into it.
I wonder if you can connect your phone and use the phones gps tho
I've used the iphone google maps navigation while docked on the unit's connector and using the unit's navigation and music playing at the same time...both work simultaneously, muting music to give instructions etc...but let's be clear...our phones work much better for navigation...sygic is just a "nice to have" feature.....not necessarily the brightest/smartest navigation compared to the smartphone navi
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Mircea's M3

My Ride: Bmw M3 2001
Hi, I just installed mine and i wanted to ask a few questions..
is yours a little bit loud? fan wise?
-my bluetooth doesnt connect i dont know why, it found it but wont connect, it asked me for a password but i never put one in.
-also gps says that the navigation doesnt have a software and i put the sd card they sent me.
-the dvd keeps saying that cant turn on while the car is moving but i havent moved the car

Other than that it seems fine, i just dont know what to do or maybe i wired something wrong or what?

any help would be appreciated
Mircea's M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
mbadger

Quote:
Hi, I just installed mine and i wanted to ask a few questions..
is yours a little bit loud? fan wise?
-my bluetooth doesnt connect i dont know why, it found it but wont connect, it asked me for a password but i never put one in.
-also gps says that the navigation doesnt have a software and i put the sd card they sent me.
-the dvd keeps saying that cant turn on while the car is moving but i havent moved the car

Other than that it seems fine, i just dont know what to do or maybe i wired something wrong or what?

any help would be appreciated
You definitely have to enter a pairing pass code for the Bluetooth , either 0000 or 1234, can't remember which one.

There is an option in the settings like "brake chec" on you just have to turn it off so the DVD, etc will work in motion or while the brake is engaged.

It's possible the sd card with the software is corrupted, I've heard others with that prob, the vendor should be able to send you a new one.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
Mircea's M3

I got the Bluetooth working it was 0000

The one thing about the video is I had this green wire coming from the ebrake that said parking brake. Didnt wire that anywhere
I will check however the brake check thing.

And yes I emailed them about the ad card, other than that my radio signal is weak that's probably because I fittled with the cable since it wouldn't fit in the back. Ill just replace it with 90 degree angle one.

Thanks so much for the response
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #25
mbadger

Quote:
I got the Bluetooth working it was 0000

The one thing about the video is I had this green wire coming from the ebrake that said parking brake. Didnt wire that anywhere
I will check however the brake check thing.

And yes I emailed them about the ad card, other than that my radio signal is weak that's probably because I fittled with the cable since it wouldn't fit in the back. Ill just replace it with 90 degree angle one.

Thanks so much for the response
Brak_chec option pictured here

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361678730.009568.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	492136
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Mircea's M3

Thank you
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
eaks

My Ride: 330XI
Hey man.. I have a couple questions regarding your install.. The PO of my car hacked up the original harness to install an aftermarket deck.. I ordered a new harness and soldered it into my original one. I have a couple issues though.. I have no idea where to install the can-bus as I dont see any cables that will fit in it and how does this work? I also have an issue where my signal lights no longer work on my dash (signals work fine just dont display or click on the dash).. I have read that the signal issue could be because of the white/red with yellow tracer wire so I will try and temporarily remove it and see if it fixes the issue..

I dont have steering wheel controls but I am assuming this is because the canbus isn't installed..

Any ideas man?
eaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
mbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaks View Post
Hey man.. I have a couple questions regarding your install.. The PO of my car hacked up the original harness to install an aftermarket deck.. I ordered a new harness and soldered it into my original one. I have a couple issues though.. I have no idea where to install the can-bus as I dont see any cables that will fit in it and how does this work? I also have an issue where my signal lights no longer work on my dash (signals work fine just dont display or click on the dash).. I have read that the signal issue could be because of the white/red with yellow tracer wire so I will try and temporarily remove it and see if it fixes the issue..

I dont have steering wheel controls but I am assuming this is because the canbus isn't installed..

Any ideas man?
Hey there not sure about the indicator display but the canbus connects to the harness that came with the radio
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #29
mbadger

See the light colored connector on harnesses 4 and 12? That's the canbus connector .
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Dude this is a great little Q&A you got going on here. Definitely answered my questions for when I go through with my purchase of said or similar radio. Thanks a million
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
mbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Dude this is a great little Q&A you got going on here. Definitely answered my questions for when I go through with my purchase of said or similar radio. Thanks a million
Thanks man, gotta give back, best part about forums like this one.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #32
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadger View Post
I've used the iphone google maps navigation while docked on the unit's connector and using the unit's navigation and music playing at the same time...both work simultaneously, muting music to give instructions etc...but let's be clear...our phones work much better for navigation...sygic is just a "nice to have" feature.....not necessarily the brightest/smartest navigation compared to the smartphone navi
bin the sygic and get a copy of igo primo 1.2,rolls royce of gps progs imho.
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
mbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
bin the sygic and get a copy of igo primo 1.2,rolls royce of gps progs imho.
Yes, it's inevitable really, can't keep my hands from interfering with stuff that allows me to MOD it LOL..
Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
Mircea's M3

Last night I was using the GPS and decided to take off the screen protector finally but once I did that within 30 min the GPS went weird on me, it exits on its own and I press buttons and it presses random ones, I donno if anyone else had this issue, it's the sygic maps. Let me know please if you have any idea
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
disconnect the battery for a hard reset.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Could I install Waze and Spotify on this unit (i'd tether off my phone)? How is the sound quality, any hums or distortion? Any better than OEM? I've seen where some of these can interact with the car's bus and show you ODB2/PDC info, will this one do it?

Thanks!

Last edited by redbull 325is; 03-28-2013 at 10:09 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
Could I install Waze and Spotify on this unit (i'd tether off my phone)? How is the sound quality, any hums or distortion? Any better than OEM? I've seen where some of these can interact with the car's bus and show you ODB2/PDC info, will this one do it?
you can not install those programs with this units (they run wince) . running any type of software is very limited due to the OS and internal specs. as per sound quality, it is perfect no humming or distortions. for obd/pdc stuff, this one wont do it. again due to OS. you're talking android units/ dynavin units.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #38
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
I too have this unit... installed iGO Primo and LOVE the navi part of the deck... still HATE how I cant select PLAYLIST from my ipod

I have my iPod tucked away in the glovebox so it's a pain to get to while driving

USB/SD interface kinda sucks too.... but it works

Still, I'd rather have this unit over the factory business CD any day

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #39
eljay

My Ride: ///M
I keep going back and forth between getting this unit or hoping to find a used Dynavin. Please help me decide.
I would mainly use this for the following: radio, navi, bluetooth to play music from my iPhone.
Does this one offer any capability to browse phonebook from a paired iPhone?
I don't have an iPod and I would not be connecting my iPhone to play music from it except over BT. I may be using USB drive for some music, so I may have to deal with the aweful folder interface, but I think I can manage that just fine.
I know that Dynavin offers better interface and BT functionality, but it sounds like this unit would be enough for what I what from it, correct?
Thank you.

Also, I don't have steering wheel controls in my car and I've read somewhere that the random screen startup issue only affects cars with sterring wheel controls because of the finicky canbus adapter. Can anyone confirm that?
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
mbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I keep going back and forth between getting this unit or hoping to find a used Dynavin. Please help me decide.
I would mainly use this for the following: radio, navi, bluetooth to play music from my iPhone.
Does this one offer any capability to browse phonebook from a paired iPhone?
I don't have an iPod and I would not be connecting my iPhone to play music from it except over BT. I may be using USB drive for some music, so I may have to deal with the aweful folder interface, but I think I can manage that just fine.
I know that Dynavin offers better interface and BT functionality, but it sounds like this unit would be enough for what I what from it, correct?
Thank you.

Also, I don't have steering wheel controls in my car and I've read somewhere that the random screen startup issue only affects cars with sterring wheel controls because of the finicky canbus adapter. Can anyone confirm that?
You can definitely browse the phone book via Bluetooth and the functionality is really good for any phone conversation I've had. I've played music via Bluetooth and that works very well also. Radio reception is just as good as any radio out there no complaints. Can't verify steering wheel scenario because I have the controls on mine.

I rip YouTube vids to avi and go between mp3 and video on the sd card (32gb). Definitely miles more advanced than my factory head unit which I do not miss in the least.

If you have the $$$ I guess you could do Dynavin, I feel this is excellent if you do not want to spend that kind of cash on a head unit with all the same functionality.