E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
If you get the FTDI USB to OBD2 it will work with INPA as well. No reason to get two cables.

Here's a video of INPA real-time logging an MS43 (What you have). It does not do graphing or save the data.

You can see how fast the other software is by loading a sample log from the links I gave earlier in the thread.

Last edited by smooth1; 02-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
This cord should do it?
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
smooth1

No, that's a crappy ELM327 unit that I mentioned was not very good in earlier posts. I also mentioned the website for the other software has links to cables right on the webpage.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
basketthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
No, that's a crappy ELM327 unit that I mentioned was not very good in earlier posts. I also mentioned the website for the other software has links to cables right on the webpage.
If I follow the link from the link that you originally specified, it leads me to a cable on Amazon. That cable received horrible reviews for using it for BMW software.
Here is the link.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #45
smooth1

More likely is that they didn't set it up correctly, as I'm sure you've seen tons of people have issues setting up and using the factory BMW software. I HAVE that cable from that link. I tuned my 325Ci with it.

If you want to find a cable that will absolutely have the FT232RL chipset (Which doesn't actually matter for what you're doing) search for a Galletto 1260 cable.

Last edited by smooth1; 02-24-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #46
basketthis

Hey smooth1,
I replaced some parts on my car (some needed to be done, and others didn't). It definitely helped in terms of once the vehicle is warm it idles better and doesn't bog down when I go to accelerate. I am also seeing improved gas mileage. However, I still have a SES light and it's rough on startup. Cylinders misfiring, etc. I have another thread in the xi section of this forum. Because that's what I have and was able to get some suggestions from those guys.
I am wondering if you think it would be worth me purchasing the software at this point and recording a startup, or at idle. Would something like that be able to help determine where/if I had a vacuum leak or something else going on? Or should I head to the parts store, grab a compression test kit and start pulling plugs?
Thanks for all your help thus far. Anxious to hear back!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #47
smooth1

Datalogging can always be a useful tool, but without knowing what the actual issue here is I can't tell you datalogging will help you solve it this time around.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #48
basketthis

Quote:
Datalogging can always be a useful tool, but without knowing what the actual issue here is I can't tell you datalogging will help you solve it this time around.
I had a feeling that I had that one coming.
For example, say it's a vacuum leak in the VCG. Is that something that we would be able to tell from comparing different sensors?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #49
smooth1

You'd see abnormal lambda integrator values since it would be running lean from the air that is not being registered by the MAF sensor. You might also see interesting values for the idle control duty etc.

Last edited by smooth1; 03-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
basketthis

Okay. Decided to purchase the software. So I get an email with the license code? I'm not sure what to do now. The only email I've received is from PayPal confirming my payment?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #51
smooth1

The tutorial video on the site walks you through what to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #52
basketthis

Quote:
The tutorial video on the site walks you through what to do.
Thanks smooth1. Already used the key and took a data log. Mind looking at it to see if there's anything that sticks out at you?
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7b5e1973.html
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #53
smooth1

Did you say you had a tune? Which codes show up now with the replaced parts?

Take one from cold start and let it fully warm up to 180.

Last edited by smooth1; 03-19-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #54
basketthis

Quote:
Did you say you had a tune? Which codes show up now with the replaced ?

Take one from cold start and let it fully warm up to 180.
Yes. I replaced the CCV, spark plugs, pre-cat O2 sensors, and fuel filter. Fuel pump was done 3 months ago.
I took the attached log on a cold start. The only thing that turned it off was that I went to rev it and it died.
Edit: codes are here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=976226

Last edited by basketthis; 03-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #55
smooth1

So you have a tune? Which codes are present? Need one with the full warmup.

Last edited by smooth1; 03-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #56
smooth1

Try clearing adaptations as mentioned in the other thread. Also make sure the coils are correctly plugged in. Other than that I need a full warmup log to 180. And if you have a tune you need to mention that because your timing is all over the place at idle.

Last edited by smooth1; 03-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #57
basketthis

Quote:
Try clearing adaptations as mentioned in the other thread. Also make sure the coils are correctly plugged in. Other than that I need a full warmup log to 180. And if you have a tune you need to mention that because your timing is all over the place at idle.
I'm not clear on what adaptations are. I'm assuming that's the engine codes. And, I've cleared them 3 times. I don't have a tune, so no worries there. I previously left the camshaft position sensor plug off. It was obvious because the code threw. After plugging that in and clearing it, I've been getting the codes in the link I posted. Sorry that I'm not familiar with adaptations...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #58
smooth1

In the codes window it says "Clear DME Adapts". You may need to push the throttle down all the way afterwards before starting the vehicle.

Last edited by smooth1; 03-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #59
basketthis

Quote:
In the codes window it says "Clear DME Adapts". You may need to push the throttle down all the way afterwards before starting the vehicle.
Okay. Then that's what I've done 3 times. They clear every time and the ses goes off. It returns after about 20 miles of travel or if I cold start it and don't rev it. Then it begins to idle rough, etc.
When recording the cold start, should I allow it to idle rough and not rev it to prevent it from rough idle? Just let it get rough and shake, etc?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #60
smooth1

You said you cleared codes, not adapts. They're different, hence the different button.

Yes, let it run.