E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #1701
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Where are you seeing someone doing dips every day. If they are if say it's overkill.
Nah, never see people doing it. I've just heard it's one of those exercises, like pushups and pullups you can do everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworld View Post
it depends. If you can knock out a good 15-20 dips easy fatigue or not I would saw you could actually help your chest recover by doing maybe 3 sets of 5 dips everyday. This load shouldnt be taxing and it will induce blood flow into your muscles helping get that lactic acid out.

if dips are fairly difficult then Id stick to doing them as accessory work on your bench days.
Yeah I can't do my bodyweight over 10 times, or maybe I don't try to push it that hard, or get sloppy.

First set shoulder was feeling it so I walked away and came back later and it was feeling better.

Leaning forward a bit works more chest, while staying straight up and down works more triceps?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1702
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
Nah, never see people doing it. I've just heard it's one of those exercises, like pushups and pullups you can do everyday.

Yeah I can't do my bodyweight over 10 times, or maybe I don't try to push it that hard, or get sloppy.

First set shoulder was feeling it so I walked away and came back later and it was feeling better.

Leaning forward a bit works more chest, while staying straight up and down works more triceps?
I'm sure you can get stronger at them that way but I don't know what it would do in terms of muscle growth.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #1703
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I've completely ditched out on dips because they seriously fk with my shoulders... and this is at bodyweight.

I'd rather strengthen shoulders before bringing them back into my routine
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #1704
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I've completely ditched out on dips because they seriously fk with my shoulders... and this is at bodyweight.

I'd rather strengthen shoulders before bringing them back into my routine
I don't think that is the problem. It may just be one of those things your body doesn't agree with.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1705
dabears

Yeah I have no idea... I'm a big fan of full ROM to strengthen things, but I have no discomfort whatsoever on heavy barbell bench press yet on b/w dips I'm left in agony after one set. And my form is ok
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #1706
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah I have no idea... I'm a big fan of full ROM to strengthen things, but I have no discomfort whatsoever on heavy barbell bench press yet on b/w dips I'm left in agony after one set. And my form is ok
weird. Hopefully you can do them soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1707
sweetbro858

Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #1708
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Quote:

i wouldnt worry too much about leaning forward or focusing on that. Id focus on going down till your triceps are parallel with the floor and then going up. When that gets too easy strap some weight in between your legs. Bigger triceps are going to lead to a bigger chest no matter the angle.

I've never seen someone bench 315 with small triceps.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1709
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Have you ever tried them on rings? Harder but much more agreeable to a lot of peoples shoulders and elbows.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #1710
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Have you ever tried them on rings? Harder but much more agreeable to a lot of peoples shoulders and elbows.
Yeah, and it is definitely a much more "pleasant" movement. I find I can't tilt myself forward to hit the chest more, but I'm sure it is still getting hit when you are upright... albeit a bit less

my gym doesn't have rings because it is a cookie cutter gym, hate it

edit: I've been doing pushups as a finisher instead of dips, which is working out well so far

Last edited by dabears; 02-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #1711
wallyworld

Quote:
Yeah, and it is definitely a much more "pleasant" movement. I find I can't tilt myself forward to hit the chest more, but I'm sure it is still getting hit when you are upright... albeit a bit less

my gym doesn't have rings because it is a cookie cutter gym, hate it

edit: I've been doing pushups as a finisher instead of dips, which is working out well so far
push ups are great for finishers.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #1712
sweetbro858

Discuss.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #1713
wallyworld

Quote:

Discuss.
might be effective if you perform the reps correctly but any "bouncing bettys" reps by trying too much weight you look like a fool. This will never beat dips with a weighted belt either. Plus if you're too lazy to adjust the height of the seat the ROM will probably be just as bad for your shoulders as going too deep for dips.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1714
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
My gym has something similar, I've tried it a couple times. I can definitely feel it in my triceps after a couple sets. I still prefer dips though.
Silversixspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #1715
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I've actually never suggested dips. Knowing all of the components in my shoulder I can't see how they are good for you. Imo
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #1716
wallyworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
I've actually never suggested dips. Knowing all of the components in my shoulder I can't see how they are good for you. Imo
wut. Sure dips like many other exercises can cause injuries in your joints but that doesnt mean they are bad for you. Ppl get injured from these good exercises cause they walk in with their ego on their forehand, go gun ho thinking they can lift the weight of the world, f*ck their shoulder up and then blame the exercise.

Maybe im misinterpreting what you are saying but i do know one thing and its dips are not bad.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #1717
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
I love dips.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #1718
BreakMyWallet

Amrap. 10 minutes
5: Cleans @135lb
10: plyo push-ups (touching ears)
15: 24" box jumps

I just finished my 8th round of plyo push-ups when the bell rang. Nice little workout.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #1719
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworld View Post
wut. Sure dips like many other exercises can cause injuries in your joints but that doesnt mean they are bad for you. Ppl get injured from these good exercises cause they walk in with their ego on their forehand, go gun ho thinking they can lift the weight of the world, f*ck their shoulder up and then blame the exercise.

Maybe im misinterpreting what you are saying but i do know one thing and its dips are not bad.
Not sure how you can know that dips aren't bad for you, unless you are some kind of sports therapist. Aside from shoulder impingement and the fact that you basically can stretch your long and short head of your biceps tendon, as well as it being the source of labrum tears. Like I said, just my opinion. But I've had shoulder problems from baseball all of my life. Take it with a grain of salt. Just should make sure your rotator cuff and scapulae are strong enough to handle it
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #1720
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, so don't take this personally. I'm just prodding the discussion.

You know what's awful for your shoulder? Playing baseball. It seems like the reason you're against dips is because it aggravates issues caused by other shoulder-harming activities in which you participate, which would mean that, for a non-baseball player, dips are not inherently bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote