E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
VegasChick

My Ride: Black 2000 328Ci
DSC & EML Light Popped On - Car Went Into Limp Mode - Help?

So this morning, I went to leave for work and my car ('00 328Ci) decided to throw up the DSC & EML light. (my CEL light had already been on due to an O2 sensor I have yet to replace.) So my car put itself into limp mode and with pedal to the floor, would not go anything over 2500-3k RPMS, basically no faster than 15-20 MPH. I've been trying to research and see what it could be and the best I've come up with, just as an inexpensive start, is to go in and clean out my throttle body & MAF. Does anyone have an idea if this is correct or what else it could be? I also noticed someone mention the ICV.

And I know this makes a difference with these over-the-internet diagnostics lol, but my car has been idling rough every morning with it being fairly cold here and this morning was especially cold. I have yet to get it scanned since I had to get to work so I couldn't tell you what kind of codes are being thrown up. And I probably should've taken it to my BMW/Mercedes specialty tech shop, but they happen to be closed on the days that I have off from work (how convenient.)

Any suggestions or ideas will definitely help! Hoping it's not something too hefty.
Thanks ahead of time
VegasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
bloodredbimmer

My Ride: 01 330Ci 5MT
Just had the same happen to me, any updates?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Nobody here can begin to diagnose your car until you scan your codes and post the faults. Do you honestly want to just guess at the problem and start randomly replacing parts based on all the possible things that could put your car into limp?
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
VegasChick

Not to be rude, but isn't that what everyone else seems to do on a forum? I was just asking for anyone's opinions on what it COULD be, doesn't mean I was gonna go through every suggestion and start replacing every part someone mentions. Just needed a general direction of what could be wrong or if someone else had the same issue before sending it off to a shop to be raped for every thing possible.

Anyway, I wound up replacing the intake boots that had holes in them, cleaning the MAF sensor and resetting the computer, but it was doing the same thing, still wouldn't accelerate over 20 MPH. I had a generic scanner lying around and plugged it in just to check for anything and for some reason it came up with codes for the turbo, which my car clearly doesn't have a turbo. Codes being thrown through that scanner pointed to a waste gate issue, but that's obviously irrelevant.

So I sucked it up and wound up having it towed to Autobahn, a BMW specialized shop here in Vegas, they scanned it thoroughly and several times and now I have at least 12 different codes pulling up. The list is endless, but they're running some diagnostics as we speak to determine what exactly is going on with it. Going to be costly I'm sure, but will definitely keep this thread updated for anyone else who seems to be having the same or similar issue. They're trying to pinpoint what is setting off all these codes so let's hope it's just one thing setting up several codes as opposed to 10+ different issues. With luxury comes expensive consequences... LOL.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
bloodredbimmer

My Ride: 01 330Ci 5MT
Very true haha. My car actually does go faster than 20mph. It just hiccups whenever I rev it and when it's in idle it sounds like its going to turn off. My buddy's dad said it might be a misfire based on the codes so he suggested I change the spark plugs. I'm going clean the MAF and throttle body before hand just in case it happens to be that.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Check your ICV and make sure the valve is not getting stuck open.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
VegasChick

I actually just got the call on what they diagnosed. A few months back, I had my car scanned and all that came up back was a bad O2 sensor. Didn't think too much into rushing to get it replaced since as emissions wasn't my biggest concern. Well now, because I neglected my car, what was happening was my crank case valve was going bad and throwing out the O2 sensor code, which is all that I thought it was. So because the valve went bad, oil has leaked into my throttle body causing that to fail. Needless to say, it's going to cost me about $1200 for parts and labor. Or $650 for labor seeing as my dad is a mechanic (for Dodge) and can at least get me the parts at cost prices. Although, bright side, I have come across a website called RockAuto.com and they have ridiculously cheap prices for almost everything! Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone else needs some parts and they seem to run a lil' cheaper than things found on BavAuto.com.

So in the end, I've officially learned my lesson with this car and know from now on that although it may throw off one code, it could be the start of something else and much worse. SMH, I really shouldn't have been so ignorant, but nothing I can do now, but get it over 'n done with and get it back on the road.

So if you're having something similar, aside from the obvious of taking it to a legitimate BMW shop, check your throttle body and check it soon! If my car hadn't set itself into limp mode, I was told my repairs could have been far more worse and if that was the case, I probably would've had to let it go, lol. Good luck though!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
jamex

Apologies if I came off sounding harsh, that wasn't my intention. I personally feel that a code reader is indispensable and every BMW owner should keep one in their car. The Peake readers are relatively inexpensive and I make a habit to scan codes once a month or 2 even if no CEL is showing. Lots of stuff will show on a code reader before a CEL is tripped. I consider scans part of routine maintenance.

Enough preaching though Sorry it turned out to be a bigger issue. Good luck with bringing her back to life.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
VegasChick

No worries! I know it's not right to try to guess at what's actually wrong over the internet, just needed some guidance. My dad taught me the car basics, but I'm just a girl and can't handle big sh*t like this LOL. But yes, I'm definitely planning on getting myself a Peake scanner. For something like this, it could've saved me so much more time AND money and it wouldn't have gotten my car to the point it's at now. Lesson learned

Here's pics of what was thrown up on the scanner just for future reference if anyone has similar issues or codes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	492661   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	492662   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	492663  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Adolf

My Ride: 325i
R u referring the oil seperator?
Adolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Adolf

My Ride: 325i
Vegaschick.
The crank case valve you are referring to is it also called a oil seperator?
Adolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
jamex

yes the ccv is also referred to as the oil seperator.