E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
beemteam

My Ride: 325xi
Red face just died on me....help !

I have a 2004 325xi 120k, bought at 113k a few months back. The only mods is upgraded aluminum thermostat(literally yesterday), new water pump,water pump pulley, belts, top belt tensioner,plugs, angel eyes, oil and filter change. All done within last 6 weeks......Now the problem,
I was driving home from work this evening when for no apparent reason and without warning the car just shut down in traffic!!! just poof died, I tried to restart several times it just turned and turned, no vrooom. So I towed it to my regular mechanic he checked the fuses...good. So lets find out if the problem is the fire side or the fuel side? So he sprayed a light mist of starting fluid in the intake while i tried to start it and it fired up for a brief second then died again....so it's the fuel side. We checked for powering up sounds from the fuel pump...nothing.

My question for anyone in the bmw family who may know is... what else can we check besides the fuel pump relay(which i don't think it is), and what else can it be to cause this sudden shutdown of the engine? Thanks ahead!
beemteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
TomTomTuning

My Ride: Black Sapphire ZHP
Besides the relay, it could be the pump it self.

I believe there's DIY's on how to diagnose the pump.

EDIT: Here's a few links, I'm sure there's more out there.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1682570

And a video:

Photos: Flickr & 500PX

Last edited by TomTomTuning; 02-25-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361842227
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
At 120k it's more than likely the pump. You can check the fuse but it's a long shot. I don't think there's a fuel pump relay in this car.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
You diagnose a fuel pump problem right at the fuel pump!

Take connector off of FP
Verify 12v at connector when cracking ( for about 10 seconds)
If 12volts present,
check FP
Else
Check electrical fuse, relay and e-fuse.

Probably FP.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
My bet is fuel pump.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Pull the seat and cover. Have someone crank the car while you tap the top of the pump assemble with a piece of wood. Like a 2/4. Just a light whack to jar the pump. If the car starts the pump is bad. You just hit the big ring area with the wood this shocks the pump and they almost always work until you shut the car back off. Diagnose a ton of pumps with this method.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 02-25-2013 at 10:50 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Remove aluminum thermostat.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Broach><330

My Ride: 330CI -E30 325 (S52)
Fuel pump same thing happened to me going down 285 in Atlanta went to go around someone and it had no go, after fluttering for a few seconds it cut off and would not start up. Fuel pump died. So get another fuel pump, and go with a higher quality OE pump don't get a cheapie or you'll more than likely be stranded again.

High-line catback
Kosei K1's
Headers
3.15 Differential
Koni FSD, eibach sports
AA software
205k (9/16/13)

E30 S52B32 100,xxx
5spd ZF, JB LW fly, Megan Coils, OBD1 conv. Mishimoto with low temp stat, TRM 15x8, Black vinyl sport seats, MOMO mod 08, 2:93 LSD, Custom single 2.5" exhaust, SS headers, M3 rack, basically new everything on driveline.
Broach><330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Remove aluminum thermostat.
Yep those have been a problem and they don't even sell them anymore. They short out and blow fuses. Then its a no start.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
beemteam

My Ride: 325xi
Thanks for all the help guys! What a wonderful community and I'm soooo glad to be a part of it. Now it's fixed but it was a $220 lesson!

It WASN'T the fuel pump after all, but I already bought the new on and installed it before I found out. It was the aftermarket thermostat that was blowing the primary fuse (wow). And I learned this by combing thru the posts on our fanatic forum!(wish I woulda did more research before I bought that pump) But anywho the guy had the same problem and he had just replaced the thermostat just like i did. There are two fuses for the fuel pump on this car, the primary one is in a fuse cluster under the hood in the box on the drivers side, the fuse cluster is near the quarter panel with five fuses (4-30amp and 1-20amp) the 20amp in the middle thats for the fuel pump. The secondary fuel pump fuse is in the glove box.

I unplugged the connector for the thermostat and replaced the fuse and the car fired right up! I would have never known this if it wasn't for this informative and beautiful forum. From the bottom of my soul thank you guys!

I hope this helps somebody else who has the same problem.
beemteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Broach><330

My Ride: 330CI -E30 325 (S52)
That's good you got it fixed, call the pump preventive maintenance. I'm sure it was on its last leg anyway at 120k

High-line catback
Kosei K1's
Headers
3.15 Differential
Koni FSD, eibach sports
AA software
205k (9/16/13)

E30 S52B32 100,xxx
5spd ZF, JB LW fly, Megan Coils, OBD1 conv. Mishimoto with low temp stat, TRM 15x8, Black vinyl sport seats, MOMO mod 08, 2:93 LSD, Custom single 2.5" exhaust, SS headers, M3 rack, basically new everything on driveline.
Broach><330 is offline   Reply With Quote