E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 3.78 average.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #1041
Mhnd

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhnd View Post
He's correct about the transmission oil thermostat cooler breaking 90% of the time while removing the expansion tank, mine broke see picture ....
Part 4 in the picture is the thermostat that sits under the expansion tank big hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361582205.209384.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	492010  
Mhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #1042
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have a small leak going on somewhere...I've checked all the common connections but there are no noticeable signs of leaking.. and the coolant light usually doesn't come on unless it's really cold...however when I check, the float is always at the point where there's no water. I've been adding distilled water every 2~3 weeks.

Almost everything was changed 2 years ago and had no leaking..the only thing I an think of is the expansion tank cap...could it possibly leak out from there?

any ideas of what could be leaking? or is there anyway to find out where?

Last edited by eneka; 02-23-2013 at 01:39 AM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #1043
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
There has to be a way. If you leak coolant you'll find a white residue left behind. You need to take apart some things to get a view of everywhere. Be logical and check the most likely spots.
Do we know the current mileage of your car?
If all the obvious places look clean, maybe suspect the plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold.
Have you looked at every coolant site you can think of?

Last edited by Stinger9; 02-23-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #1044
eneka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
There has to be a way. If you leak coolant you'll find a white residue left behind. You need to take apart some things to get a view of everywhere. Be logical and check the most likely spots.
Do we know the current mileage of your car?
If all the obvious places look clean, maybe suspect the plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold.
Have you looked at every coolant site you can think of?
It's an 03' and has 117k right now. I did a refresh around march of 2011 with around 96k I believe. There were white lines running down the expansion tank and I thought that was from when I bled the system. I took off the intake yesterday and washed everything down and cleaned out my engine bay so I'll check back to see if I can see anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #1045
Stinger9

Usually when you bleed you wipe away enough so as not to leave residue. I'm on the ET as a suspect as of now. Do you have any idea what brand ET you installed? What brand WP did you put on? Shaft can be the source of a slo leak.
You removed the intake? Manifold? or rubber intake tubes?
And to be thorough, you'll have to remove the bottom shield and get down under. Even things as small as the block drain plug must be explored.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #1046
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Hi! My car have started leaking a bit. To day was the second time I had to refill coolant in 1.5 month. I think the leaking start when the car gets hot.. smoke/steam is comming out from the front grille. Could this be the expansion tank? Havent had any time to check for wet spots..
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #1047
eneka

Quote:
Usually when you bleed you wipe away enough so as not to leave residue. I'm on the ET as a suspect as of now. Do you have any idea what brand ET you installed? What brand WP did you put on? Shaft can be the source of a slo leak.
You removed the intake? Manifold? or rubber intake tubes?
And to be thorough, you'll have to remove the bottom shield and get down under. Even things as small as the block drain plug must be explored.
I used all OEM parts, and I removed the intake box to clean the surrounding area. I removed the bottom shield before cleaning too and it looked fine as well...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #1048
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
Hi! My car have started leaking a bit. To day was the second time I had to refill coolant in 1.5 month. I think the leaking start when the car gets hot.. smoke/steam is comming out from the front grille. Could this be the expansion tank? Havent had any time to check for wet spots..
Radiator is a potential fail, especially at the gasket where the metal joins the plastic ends.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #1049
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Thanks mango for the write-up.

I just ordered all my parts from bmaparts, autohausaz and ecs (bit the bullet for shipping). I have to say, Yves from bmaparts was really helpful, even though their server was down he called my cell and put my order in, btw for those of you ordering from bma, use specE30 for a 5% discount. Hope to do this sometime next week.
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #1050
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Another thing I noticed, for those of you with fitment issues with the Behr radiator. Did you buy it from bma? I noticed if you search bma with just the part number it just gives you the oem, behr or nissen (i think) to choose from. However if you enter your make and model and search for radiators there, you'll see there are 2 different Behr radiators to choose from. It will specify for standard or automatic vehicles. Just wondering if that was where the mix up was.
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1051
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Quote:
Radiator is a potential fail, especially at the gasket where the metal joins the plastic ends.
So u think it is radiator, not the exp tank?
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #1052
Stinger9

I don't know what's wrong with your cooling system because I'm not there.
You are there and therefore have to be the one to examine everything for leaks.
I'm only suggesting things that you should not overlook.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1053
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
So u think it is radiator, not the exp tank?
Your E46 cooling system is not a Chinese restaurant menu. You cannot pick and choose and not expect to have problems. Replace it all and you'll be problem free for close to a decade. Good luck!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1054
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
My cooling issues are resolved!

To recap my issues

It Started off last week with a leak from the ET bracket drain plug (blue plug for manual trans)
And a small leak occurring at the upper radiator hose

Replaced the bracket which fixed the lower leak.

Reseated all the connections, and all was well for a day.

Then the upper rad hose (smaller connection to the ET) started leaking.

At the same time the lower radiator fan switch couldn't get warm enough to turn the fan on. (Outside temperature about 5O) I possibly wasn't driving long enough for it to warm up down there, so I may have jumped the gun on that replacement.

Bought and replaced new upper hose, and a new fan temp switch.

I rebled the system, and all is perfect now, and as usual I will keep an eye on the level, as it tends to be a bit lower the day after a bleed, at least in my experience.

OBC reports 90-93C

Inspection of the 6 culmonth old upper radiator hose connections, revealed the radiator connection o ring was flattened a bit, and the small connector o ring was partially dislodged.

As Mango stated, these rubber seals get weaker every time they get dis/re-connected, which obviously compromises the whole system, and
I believe that a combination of pulling it apart the few times that I did, and insufficient lubrication on the O-rings caused my upper leaks.

Thanks Mango for offering your spare fan switch.

Thanks Stinger, and others for emphasizing the O-Ring lube.
I ended up using straight coolant liberally, focusing more on the O-Ring, instead of just lubing the plastic walls inside the connector.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #1055
Stinger9

Just to keep in the tool kit:

http://www.amazon.com/SIL-GLYDE-LUBE.../dp/B0036VMLH0
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #1056
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

awesome MPR!! Yeah removing those hoses more than once really irks me the wrong way. Same goes for any seal. remove water pump? replace seal. this is why picking and choosing is so risky because you weaken parts that much more when you replace one but not the other. Also i rarely, if ever, notice my aux fan come on. only when i go to the top of the canyon (6,000 ft climb in a few minutes) or when ac is turned on.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #1057
///MPR77

Quote:
^Cool...good to know, as I was going to ask what specifically, you use.

I did go by Auto Zone the other night to look for a rubber safe lube.

I didn't see anything specifically designated for such, but they did have a small bottle of Lucas "Assembly Lubricant" ever hear of it?
If so, would it suffice?

Better off going with the linked product, now that I am in no rush to pick it up.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1058
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

I dunno man i've never had to use lube for any cooling system install. parts bone dry should click right on. coolant works well and is easily accessible in the tank

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #1059
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
awesome MPR!! Yeah removing those hoses more than once really irks me the wrong way. Same goes for any seal. remove water pump? replace seal. this is why picking and choosing is so risky because you weaken parts that much more when you replace one but not the other. Also i rarely, if ever, notice my aux fan come on. only when i go to the top of the canyon (6,000 ft climb in a few minutes) or when ac is turned on.
Right, I could tell it irked you when I mentioned pulling things apart, which proved irk-worthy in my scenario.

Yeah, I rarely notice my fan cycling on too.
I only seem to notice my fan kicking on when I am in slow stop/go traffic at higher ambient temperatures...but I just started second guessing myself, and my experience

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #1060
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post

I didn't see anything specifically designated for such, but they did have a small bottle of Lucas "Assembly Lubricant" ever hear of it?
If so, would it suffice?
Here's what I do: I read the container. When you do this you are actually getting advice from the engineer or scientist who formulated the stuff. No one knows better than they do.

And Sil-Glyde Lube says O-ring assembly right at the top of the label.
And there are many many O-rings all over the e46 that profit from running a minimal amount of this stuff on the ring. Wait till you see how easily things slide together.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump