E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I disagree completely. If you perform a multitude of other lifts AND have a decent diet, the abs will come. I don't have abs because I'm a genetic freak. I wouldn't even consider myself a freak at all honestly; I can get fat just like anybody else, and I've been "smooth" during lazy periods. I have abs because I do a CRAP LOAD of lower body/leg work and have low body fat. It has nothing to do with direct ab work. I have a "strong core" because I spend a lot of time doing things that REQUIRE the core to become stronger to perform (..handstands, flips, and all sorts of stuff........as well as the important lifts).

I will hold my opinion until after my "eat everything in sight diet" is over. In about 2 months I'm going to eat much cleaner and do a lot of lower body work, more metcon etc. So I'll be the guinea pig. I will still do a little ab work during the week but nothing crazy. Things like toes to bar one day, sit ups another etc. Nothing that will take more than 5 minutes of direct ab work.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:

I think that the shape of your abdominals and how they look when stripped of fat are truly a genetic thing. Some people have a very unattractive abdominal section despite being lean, and there is nothing that they can do to alter that. Hanging knee raises, etc. are useless to me when I can front squat or dead lift and have my entire core hit just as hard, if not harder, and cause growth in other areas of my body.

Compound training WILL develop an aesthetic body, but HOW your muscle looks is genetic. In fact, you stand to effect more bodily change with compound movements than focusing strictly on isolation movements. However, isolation movements are great for a specific emphasis, especially where very small muscle groups are concerned.
I agree. Just like how I've pretty much accepted my calfs will be "small" for life, yet they are strong and defined. The muscle belly is as large as it will get, aesthetically speaking.

The article I linked discuses what you are talking about (ratio of muscle to tendon lengths etc.)

Just like you can't make an ugly face into a good looking one, you can't ultimately change the way your body is constructed.

Edit: plastic surgery doesn't count

Last edited by dabears; 02-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I will hold my opinion until after my "eat everything in sight diet" is over. In about 2 months I'm going to eat much cleaner and do a lot of lower body work, more metcon etc. So I'll be the guinea pig. I will still do a little ab work during the week but nothing crazy. Things like toes to bar one day, sit ups another etc. Nothing that will take more than 5 minutes of direct ab work.

Just remember, I squatted A LOT (...both volume and weight) for years. I mean A LOT! No dead lifts, no front squats (..which led to under-developed vastus medialis and vastus lateralis muscles that are desperately trying to play catch-up to the other over-developed quad muscles) ......only back squats. My body is representative of that.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-26-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361915306
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I agree. Just like how I've pretty much accepted my calfs will be "small" for life, yet they are strong and defined. The muscle belly is as large as it will get, aesthetically speaking.

The article I linked discuses what you are talking about (ratio of muscle to tendon lengths etc.)

Just like you can't make an ugly face into a good looking one, you can't ultimately change the way your body is constructed.

Edit: plastic surgery doesn't count
lol I always loved that one. when someone would say I want my chest shaped like this...

No dude. You're shape is your shape. You can make muscle grow or shrink but the shape of it is pretty much not going to change.

Like my bicep for example. It doesn't extend all the way to the fold in my inner elbow like a lot of people so if I have a longer tshirt on it would appear that my arms are little sticks. But just a few inches above you can see my bicep. I would love to connect my bi to my elbow crease but it's not happening without some kind of crazy surgery
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I still think that to have a great core in both looks and function, adding in ab work is the way to go. In before the freak of nature m3inline6 rolls up and says he doesn't work core and has a 6 pack therefore proving ab work is a waste.
There are a lot of components involved in the core. I will do pike saws and full core workouts, but never isolate my abs. I've been telling people that for years

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 02-26-2013 at 03:50 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
There are a lot of components involved in the core. I will do pike saws and full core workouts, but never isolate my abs. I've been telling people that for years

^^This!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
so would toes to bar, ab mat sit ups, mountain climbers, and weighted roman chair sit ups be something you'd approve of. Those are pretty much all I do for abs and it's usually two of them maybe once a week.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
What are you comparing your analysis up against? Have you compound lifted for an extended period of time in order to have something to measure your "once a week ab workout" up against?
My analysis? I dunno wat u talkin bout brudduh.

If I do sit-ups I do sit-ups. They aren't really planned, nor is there more than 1-2 sets.

I do the big 3 lifts.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
My analysis? I dunno wat u talkin bout brudduh.

If I do sit-ups I do sit-ups. They aren't really planned, nor is there more than 1-2 sets.

I do the big 3 lifts.

That's exactly my point. 1-2 sets is supposed to accomplish what exactly? How is that working out for you?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-26-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361919672
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
LOL. I agree with you man, you didn't see my previous post?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
LOL. I agree with you man, you didn't see my previous post?
I forgot my smiley. LOL!