E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Chaz.T

My Ride: '03 SC'd M3
Weird idle and Blowning oil into intake...HELP

I have a 2003 M3 with an AA stage 1 supercharger. The idle was surging a bit and occassionally I would get some hesitation accelerating from idle. The car had new plugs, no codes, etc. Next thing I did was remove the throttle bodies and clean them and install new o-rings. Now when I rev the motor and let off the RPMs drop to around 3-400 like its about to stall and it catches itself, the idle surges for a few seconds and it levels around 900. I'm also blowing a TON of oil out of the vent hose on the valve cover into the intake.... Changed the CCV/oil sep. and it didnt do anything...

Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks
Chaz.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Hesitation and near stalls are either because of a bad vanos/solenoid or just because of the lack of oil pressure. But since there's no codes, I'd go down the lack of oil pressure route. When you go from n/a to turbo or supercharged, obviously you're dealing with a significant amount of extra pressure. The engine already has a high compression ratio so adding the extra pressure from your supercharger, even though 9/10 times it's a "safe" amount of added pressure, can cause problems. In your case, you're leaking oil. And the lack of oil pressure circulating through the engine is probably what's behind the hesitation and possible power loss. I would definitely not drive the car unless you absolutely have no choice, and do some more research on the supercharger setup and see if you can find weak points in it. Or see if anyone else has found weak points or has experienced similar problems. I'm no sure if there is a pressure valve that regulates the flow of oil around the hose you're talking about, but I'd start there. Because in theory, if the pressure falls, the oil will flow in the easiest direction with the littlest amount of pressure. Which is why it's exiting through the intake. It's a big open tube with not a whole lot of pressure in it. And not quite enough air flow to keep the oil out. Definitely wish I could give better advice but without pictures of the leaks and especially with no codes, it's difficult to say. And my m3 is still n/a so I don't have enough experience with a supercharged setup to tell you where the weak points are or known problems with it. But good luck.
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Chaz.T

Thanks for your reply. I finally gave up and dropped it off at the shop yesterday. We'll see what the issue was....
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Good luck sir. Hopefully it's nothing major
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
coinage

My Ride: 02 M3
Do you have a catch can? Almost seems like if you are blowing oil out the CCV then you are getting blow by, aka, rings. Have the shop do a compression test and a leak down test.

To be installed: SuperSprint V1,ClutchMaster FX700 twin disc clutch,VAC Solid Diff Bushings, Solid Sub Frame Bushings, AS SSK

03 TiAg/Black SMG- For Sale $17K PM for details

Performance Installs,Maintenance,GT1,Engine Builds,Diff Installs,Fab Work PM for details
coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Chaz.T

So the shop called last night and they have traced my issues to a faulty BOV. They said they smoked the intake and it was leaking from the BOV. The diaphragm is jacked up or something. Apparently it is putting some pressure through that vacuum line back into the valve cover and pressurizing the crankcase and causing all of all my issues. Waiting on them to get some parts and see if that clears everything up.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Chaz.T

And I'm screwed... those of you that mentioned blow-by and a rings/piston issue were correct. The BOV failed due to being oil soaked and upon further inspection I have piston damage in cylinders 1 and 5. Calling around to different local shops and found that this is common thing with supercharged E46s. Mine had been supercharged for around 35k miles and it finally let go. Now I have to decide if I want to ditch the blower and pay 12k for a stock replacement engine or spend around 17k for a built stroker setup. OUCH!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Lol buy a used motor why would you pay 12k for a brand new motor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz.T View Post
And I'm screwed... those of you that mentioned blow-by and a rings/piston issue were correct. The BOV failed due to being oil soaked and upon further inspection I have piston damage in cylinders 1 and 5. Calling around to different local shops and found that this is common thing with supercharged E46s. Mine had been supercharged for around 35k miles and it finally let go. Now I have to decide if I want to ditch the blower and pay 12k for a stock replacement engine or spend around 17k for a built stroker setup. OUCH!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Chaz.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Lol buy a used motor why would you pay 12k for a brand new motor...
It is a used motor. 6k for the motor, 4k for labor, and then valve adj, new rod bearings and bolt ect... Adds up to just under 12k.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
6k for motor is a bit over prices to be honest you can pick these motors up for around 3k with decent mileage especially since you won't need a new ecu, dme and key... Also 4k to install lol that's hiway robbery, i would refuse to pay more then 10000-2000 MAX there is no way it takes more then 15-20 hours labor max, valve adjustment sure if you want to make sure used motor is fresh and rod bearing/bolts is not that much either it's a pricey job if you aren't already taking the Motor out, I would say 7k for new motor installed is about right, I've seen s54s go for as cheap as 1500$ with 90k miles but also seen people pay as much as 5000$, for my s54 swap I paid $3500 for the motor with ecu/ews/key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz.T View Post
It is a used motor. 6k for the motor, 4k for labor, and then valve adj, new rod bearings and bolt ect... Adds up to just under 12k.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
BaDiNfLuEnCe

My Ride: 04 m3, 06 jeep srt8
Please take your car from that shop asap...look on the forums , source a motor from a part out.. And find another shop.. S54 motors go for 3500, swaps go from 4500-5k

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950449

[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited by BaDiNfLuEnCe; 02-27-2013 at 12:52 PM.
BaDiNfLuEnCe is offline   Reply With Quote