E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
does not affect the strut pistons.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

I think the drop-hats work in the same manner -effectively reducing the height of the strut piston.
Effectively. Key word.

The nut on the top of the strut would now be closer to the hood.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
exertismenos

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Kubica. Do you think this would cause extra strain on the strut or other components?
exertismenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #44
exertismenos

Just read this comment on an e90post thread from Eric Nareshni of SupremePower:

"The perches actually lower the body of the car 1/2" and dont affect the suspension travel at all."

Most of those guys seem really happy with them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
exertismenos

Well, after that previous comment, some guy made this observation. Let me know if you guys agree/disagree.

"Uh .... Correct me here but that response concerns me. If you are lowering the body you are absolutely limiting travel of the shock (unless you are simultaneously lowering the lower shock mount as well).

If the spindle isn't moving and the body is, shock travel is decreased. If it's an upper spring perch moving the spring upwards, the shock nut is still secured to the upper shock mount that secures to the shock tower that is fixed. Because the shock rod is secured to the upper mount, If the body comes down, it's pushing the shock rod into the shock body by the same distance the car is lowered (0.5").

So aren't you in effect losing 0.5" of shock rod travel? Concerned on less stiff springs that you may be on the bump stops more often."
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #46
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Effectively. Key word.

Disagree, you would reduce the travel of the strut piston by the amount the drop hat lowers the car. The piston's new home position would be whatever the drop hat is less than the previous home position.

The distance from the strut tower to the hood is fixed by the strut tower and is, for the purpose of this situation, immobile. The only thing you can alter is the length of the strut piston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exertismenos View Post
Well, after that previous comment, some guy made this observation. Let me know if you guys agree/disagree.

"Uh .... Correct me here but that response concerns me. If you are lowering the body you are absolutely limiting travel of the shock (unless you are simultaneously lowering the lower shock mount as well).

If the spindle isn't moving and the body is, shock travel is decreased. If it's an upper spring perch moving the spring upwards, the shock nut is still secured to the upper shock mount that secures to the shock tower that is fixed. Because the shock rod is secured to the upper mount, If the body comes down, it's pushing the shock rod into the shock body by the same distance the car is lowered (0.5").

So aren't you in effect losing 0.5" of shock rod travel? Concerned on less stiff springs that you may be on the bump stops more often."
^ This is absolutely true.

You can't magically lower the car without A.) using a shorter spring or B.) reduce the overall suspension travel.

We are talking about two fixed points in space that are set apart by the length of the spring. If you move one of those points without changing the length of the spring, you absolutely move the other and given the fact that the spring dictates the overall ride height...you reduce shock travel the amount that drop hat lowers the car.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-17-2013 at 12:19 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #47
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Wait, so this kit is just the spring perch and not the mount?

If so I'd definitely agree the strut will be compressed further by the amount of the drop.

I wonder if you could offset the shock compression by designing a mount that located the top nut higher by the amount of the drop. Or is that crazy talk?

I was also thinking- the GC plates I have use M3 bearings. I think it would be possible to use the ground control lower spring perch with the oem M3 mounts. The M3 mounts can be installed in a way to bang on a whole bunch of negative camber and/or caster.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
exertismenos

It seems like the consensus is that it will compress the strut by the amount of the drop. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Here's what another guy had to say on the e90Post thread:

"True. Struts are now compressed by 1/2", and you're 1/2" closer to bump stops. Which may be an issue with a completely stock suspension or if you have short springs. In my case, the performance suspension is designed to work with sport pkg or lowered performance springs, so I'm still within the strut's designed operation range, as are most aftermarket struts depending on what springs you are using."

What if I just found out what the "designed operation range" was of whatever struts I went with to ensure that the additional 1/2" was OK?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
SamDoe1

Quote:
I wonder if you could offset the shock compression by designing a mount that located the top nut higher by the amount of the drop. Or is that crazy talk?
Higher as in closer to the hood? Theoretically yes but I can't speak to how that would effect your suspension geometry and bump/rebound characteristics.

There's no "right" way to do this without changing something major. Even with lowering springs (which are smaller) and/or sport shocks/struts (also shorter), you are effectively decreasing your suspension travel by whatever your drop is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exertismenos View Post
It seems like the consensus is that it will compress the strut by the amount of the drop. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Here's what another guy had to say on the e90Post thread:

"True. Struts are now compressed by 1/2", and you're 1/2" closer to bump stops. Which may be an issue with a completely stock suspension or if you have short springs. In my case, the performance suspension is designed to work with sport pkg or lowered performance springs, so I'm still within the strut's designed operation range, as are most aftermarket struts depending on what springs you are using."

What if I just found out what the "designed operation range" was of whatever struts I went with to ensure that the additional 1/2" was OK?
The "designed operating range" of the shock is full extension to full compression. Compressing the shock by 0.5" is not going to make it explode or anything but you do lose the half inch of travel and are more prone to hitting the bump stop.

To be honest this guy's kind of an idiot. If you have shorter springs and shorter shocks, you end up with the same issue when using the dropped perches as if you weren't. The key is to either raise the upper strut mounting location or lower the lower strut mounting location.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #50
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Saying that the shock will compress by 1/2'' is quite an assumption. How do you know this? The perch could be designed to match the drop of the spring with the shock.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #51
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
Saying that the shock will compress by 1/2'' is quite an assumption. How do you know this? The perch could be designed to match the drop of the spring with the shock.
Then it would go up half an inch, not down.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #52
kaboo0m

finally got around to getting an alignment and took some pics. i'll let everyone else judge from the pics whether the car looks like it has an XI gap.

Front measurements: 23.25 inches
Rear: 22 inches

Silver lowering strut hat (looks black because of flash)

Last edited by kaboo0m; 02-24-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #53
kaboo0m

if someone has a stock XI and can take some measurements based on this pic, that be great to verify:

Last edited by kaboo0m; 02-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #54
e46alfonso

Nice.

Are these from supreme or bimian?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #55
kaboo0m

they're both the same. only one company makes them and they're in germany.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #56
e46alfonso

Thanks mate. I'm doing this soon on eibach springs.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #57
congeewong

My Ride: 330xi
I have a 330xi with bilstein sports & H&R springs. Does anyone know if these drop hats work on that setup?

Any input appreciated. Thanks
congeewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #58
kaboo0m

yes. as long as you're not on coil overs it works because your current setup is using the stock spring hat which would be replaced with these.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #59
kaboo0m

Left Pic: random Stock 325i, Right pic: My 325XI. Looks quite even to me

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #60
romania1991

My Ride: 2001 330XI
Anyone have pictures of an XI dropped on Eibach Springs with the 15mm drop hats and 5mm rear pads?
Thanks.

-2001 BMW 330XI (Sold)
-2002 VW Jetta TDI
-2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
romania1991 is offline   Reply With Quote