E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 509
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Most maitre d's have a background in developmental psychology.
Touche. They certainly appear to be a master of all trades, jack of none.

Last edited by badfast; 02-28-2013 at 12:52 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Well, I would tend to agree, that at but a year or two its too earlier to make any gender-identity declaration based on a few behaviors.

However, I do think my broader points are still valid, that gender identity is more complex than having specific (or unspecific in some cases) boy or girl bits and that gender identity is an inherent part of a person's nature from day one, not simply some fully flexible thing that can be nurtured one way or the other. So yes, even if junior takes a liking to Barbie or your girl grows fond of impact wrenches will not bend them to suddenly assume some new, different gender identity (whatever that even means, really).

Which brings me back to my point that the child's own apparently well-developed sense of gender identity should be the main determinant in how to treat him/her rather than simply checking off which body bits he has and insisting he comports to that happenstance of biology.
Well I guess you would need to see how "severe" the "symptoms" are. If a parents sees their son playing with barbies and they continue to perpetuate the "female" gender in him, they very well can dislodge his normal developmental progress. If they see him playing with a barbie and say "oh wow, it's a girl in a boys body, we need to train him to pee sitting down" will absolutely mess with the childs behavioral development, and not for the better.

This is a similar argument with homosexuality. You often hear the argument "I knew when I was a young kid, because I liked to put on my mom's heels and hated girls." There is still no real evidence that a person is "born gay."

Now sure, a child can indeed be born with a hormonal imbalance causing all types of development problems, but lets not forget, a hormonal imbalance is actually a condition, and not just "that's the way they are."
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Are you saying that you study child psychiatric?

The bold:
My father is chief of psychiatry at his hospital. When I had my daughter, I did actually study child psychiatry in order to have an easier time parenting/raising my daughter, and having a decent understanding of why she did/does certain things. If I have trouble understanding something (I read my father's medical books) I just consult with him.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Most maitre d's have a background in developmental psychology.
You seem to have quite an opinion on the subject....

Quote:
Forcing a child to conform to your preconceived notions of gender roles/norms when their gender identity differs from their biological gender can be seen as child abuse when taking into considering the emotional distress caused by your rejection of who your child is as a person.

I can only imagine your disappoint had you fathered a gay son.

....eventhough you rub your fatherhood into a sock.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-28-2013 at 01:05 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You seem to have quite an opinion on the subject....
The topic interests me. I have a BS and MS in psychology.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
The topic interests me. I have a BS and MS in psychology.
Fair enough. If you really do hold both of those degrees, you would know how often those diagnoses are thrown around for the sake of "diagnosing" (not just GI but 4 dozen other mental conditions) in the medical field....

An interesting read for those interested on the subject

http://www.dsm5.org/Lists/ProposedRe...rm.aspx?ID=192


Scroll down to the botton and look at the criteria questions.....I find them rather interesting....
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
So a woman bring suit against a company who fired her because she got pregnant would wide up in PoliTalk based on your logic.

Learn to post in the right forum. In the meantime, there is a 4-page thread going on in the right forum.

Go complain about the lack of meaningful contributions there.
You're not a mod, nor are you a figure of authority here. Bitching about a clearly legal/political thread in a politics forum is shallow even for you. Again, this is no different than any other gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender discussion that RDESQ regularly starts in here. Again, you've never said a word about it before. 'ski

...unless you think a civil rights discussion has nothing to do with politics?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
This is quite comical. Some how those who "don't want anybody telling me how to raise my kids, so don't let gays marry or allow gay partner equality stories in elementary schools" all of a sudden take issue with a how a parent is raising their kid. After this parent has sought professional help on the question, and has chosen to raise their child as transgender.

The sheer hypocrisy is gonna keep me til the NCAA tourney starts.

We have heard from some around here the cries of reverse discrimination, and how we can never move past race issues with the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton and how race needs to be ignored to advance past racism. Why is it that these self same people can't embrace the idea when it comes to gender? Who gives a damn. If this kid and the kid's parents are happy with the transgender decision, then is that anybody else's business?

Way to many people, including a few around here, seem way to concerned with this kid's genitalia. It is really creepy and disgusting.

Unisex restrooms are the answer. Or perhaps a selection, "boys", "girls", & "undecided" should cover it.

All this thread really shows is that way to many people are way to concerned with other people's gender and gender identities. Do you think these "abnormal" kids are carrying some kind of "confusion contagion"? What, are they gonna infect your kids and make them "abnormal" too?
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
This is quite comical. Some how those who "don't want anybody telling me how to raise my kids, so don't let gays marry or allow gay partner equality stories in elementary schools" all of a sudden take issue with a how a parent is raising their kid. After this parent has sought professional help on the question, and has chosen to raise their child as transgender.

The sheer hypocrisy is gonna keep me til the NCAA tourney starts.

We have heard from some around here the cries of reverse discrimination, and how we can never move past race issues with the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton and how race needs to be ignored to advance past racism. Why is it that these self same people can't embrace the idea when it comes to gender? Who gives a damn. If this kid and the kid's parents are happy with the transgender decision, then is that anybody else's business?

Way to many people, including a few around here, seem way to concerned with this kid's genitalia. It is really creepy and disgusting.

Unisex restrooms are the answer. Or perhaps a selection, "boys", "girls", & "undecided" should cover it.

All this thread really shows is that way to many people are way to concerned with other people's gender and gender identities. Do you think these "abnormal" kids are carrying some kind of "confusion contagion"? What, are they gonna infect your kids and make them "abnormal" too?
It isn't and I could care less what they do with their own child. It's their child and they can treat them as they see fit.

Having said that, having said child use the same bathroom as my daughter now intrudes into MY rights (my daughters rights specifically)....and THAT I have a problem with.

Unisex bathrooms are the answer? So the first time a girl gets raped in the bathroom you'll say what? We need to change the entire bathroom system in this country because of a problem that doesn't exist? How about unisex locker-rooms and showers? Hell, I would have loved that in high school, we had some seriously hot girls in my school. What about malls? Restaurants? Airports? Train stations? All have unisex bathrooms as well?
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
This is quite comical. Some how those who "don't want anybody telling me how to raise my kids, so don't let gays marry or allow gay partner equality stories in elementary schools" all of a sudden take issue with a how a parent is raising their kid. After this parent has sought professional help on the question, and has chosen to raise their child as transgender.

The sheer hypocrisy is gonna keep me til the NCAA tourney starts.

We have heard from some around here the cries of reverse discrimination, and how we can never move past race issues with the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton and how race needs to be ignored to advance past racism. Why is it that these self same people can't embrace the idea when it comes to gender? Who gives a damn. If this kid and the kid's parents are happy with the transgender decision, then is that anybody else's business?

Way to many people, including a few around here, seem way to concerned with this kid's genitalia. It is really creepy and disgusting.

Unisex restrooms are the answer. Or perhaps a selection, "boys", "girls", & "undecided" should cover it.

All this thread really shows is that way to many people are way to concerned with other people's gender and gender identities. Do you think these "abnormal" kids are carrying some kind of "confusion contagion"? What, are they gonna infect your kids and make them "abnormal" too?
Did you really just say unisex bathrooms are the answer?

Also, a 6 year old child cannot be happy with a transgender decision. A 6 year old child cannot appreciate what being transgender means. As for seeking "professional' help, the article is quite vague...likely intentionally. They could have seen a guidance counselor, child psychologist, school psychologist, hypnotist, lawyer, brick mason or rock drummer for all we know.

You cannot chose to raise your child as transgender. It is not the parent's decision, just like it isn't their decision to raise their child to be gay. I'm pretty sure you believe being gay is not a choice, correct? You're tripping over yourself with logical inconsistencies. I suggest taking a step back, have a glass of wine, and come back with a clear head.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #31
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
It isn't and I could care less what they do with their own child. It's their child and they can treat them as they see fit.

Having said that, having said child use the same bathroom as my daughter now intrudes into MY rights (my daughters rights specifically)....and THAT I have a problem with.
And just which of your daughters rights is it now intruding on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Unisex bathrooms are the answer? So the first time a girl gets raped in the bathroom you'll say what? We need to change the entire bathroom system in this country because of a problem that doesn't exist? How about unisex locker-rooms and showers? Hell, I would have loved that in high school, we had some seriously hot girls in my school. What about malls? Restaurants? Airports? Train stations? All have unisex bathrooms as well?
I quite agree. A problem doesn't exist. People just need to get over what other people are "supposed" to go into which public toilet. As for the question of a girl being raped. Signs that say "girls" on bathroom doors don't stop rapists now, and they never have. What fairy-tale land are you living in.
I grew up in SoCal, the eye candy in my high school would killed most of the "farm boys from the sticks".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Did you really just say unisex bathrooms are the answer?
Yep, i did. Mostly just to spin people up. .... mostly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Also, a 6 year old child cannot be happy with a transgender decision. A 6 year old child cannot appreciate what being transgender means. As for seeking "professional' help, the article is quite vague...likely intentionally. They could have seen a guidance counselor, child psychologist, school psychologist, hypnotist, lawyer, brick mason or rock drummer for all we know.
Not so fast there...the kid can be happy with it. They might not comprehend all the implications of it, that I will agree with. But, you cannot reasonably say what the kid is happy or unhappy with it. Truth is you don't know. The parents don't know. Nobody knows except the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You cannot chose to raise your child as transgender. It is not the parent's decision, just like it isn't their decision to raise their child to be gay. I'm pretty sure you believe being gay is not a choice, correct? You're tripping over yourself with logical inconsistencies. I suggest taking a step back, have a glass of wine, and come back with a clear head.
I never said you could. I merely pointed out that according to the article these parents were, and they hypocrisy of people who are saying "I can raise my child BLAH, but, these parents can't be allowed to raise their child as a transgender. It is you who raised the question of child abuse in the article. If you can't chose to raise your child transgender, since it will have no effect. How can it be child abuse. You are using abuse under the definition of "To hurt or injure by maltreatment", are you not? If there is no resulting effect, then there is no abuse.

Perhaps you are the one in need of a step back, a glass of wine, and a clear head.

Frankly, if the kid is happy identifying as a "different gender than the chromosomes say", let him (or her) identify as that gender.

This entire "outrage" is over victorian morays that are just f-in stupid. Were there gender segregated toilets in Shakespeare's time, or at the height of the Roman Empire in the market square? Hell no. A toilet was just a toilet. People went in and did their "business" and whoever was next in line went to the next available spot. No BFD. Then the victorians come along and say "oh no...we can't have the lower classes doing that...it's so unseemly." If you will pardon the expression. What a crock of cr@p!!

Like I said, so many people, so obsessed with other peoples genitals. Its creepy.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #32
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
hey man everyone should be able to do anything they want and be happy
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 03-01-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
And just which of your daughters rights is it now intruding on?


I quite agree. A problem doesn't exist. People just need to get over what other people are "supposed" to go into which public toilet. As for the question of a girl being raped. Signs that say "girls" on bathroom doors don't stop rapists now, and they never have. What fairy-tale land are you living in.
I grew up in SoCal, the eye candy in my high school would killed most of the "farm boys from the sticks".



Yep, i did. Mostly just to spin people up. .... mostly.



Not so fast there...the kid can be happy with it. They might not comprehend all the implications of it, that I will agree with. But, you cannot reasonably say what the kid is happy or unhappy with it. Truth is you don't know. The parents don't know. Nobody knows except the kid.



I never said you could. I merely pointed out that according to the article these parents were, and they hypocrisy of people who are saying "I can raise my child BLAH, but, these parents can't be allowed to raise their child as a transgender. It is you who raised the question of child abuse in the article. If you can't chose to raise your child transgender, since it will have no effect. How can it be child abuse. You are using abuse under the definition of "To hurt or injure by maltreatment", are you not? If there is no resulting effect, then there is no abuse.

Perhaps you are the one in need of a step back, a glass of wine, and a clear head.

Frankly, if the kid is happy identifying as a "different gender than the chromosomes say", let him (or her) identify as that gender.

This entire "outrage" is over victorian morays that are just f-in stupid. Were there gender segregated toilets in Shakespeare's time, or at the height of the Roman Empire in the market square? Hell no. A toilet was just a toilet. People went in and did their "business" and whoever was next in line went to the next available spot. No BFD. Then the victorians come along and say "oh no...we can't have the lower classes doing that...it's so unseemly." If you will pardon the expression. What a crock of cr@p!!

Like I said, so many people, so obsessed with other peoples genitals. Its creepy.
I guess the word liability is of no concern to you.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
hey man everyone should be able to do anything they want and be happy
I don't want to pay social security anymore. That would make me happier. Why can't I just opt out and be happy?
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #35
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I don't want to pay social security anymore. That would make me happier. Why can't I just opt out and be happy?
Because it's a law. Now point to one that tells me a person is forbidden to believe they're the opposite sex.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #36
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Because it's a law. Now point to one that tells me a person is forbidden to believe they're the opposite sex.
They are definitely not forbidden, but there is no law that the rest of society has to play along with their fantasy. We laugh at people who think they are Jesus or wizards ... Yet we're supposed to go along with this crap because it's sexual? Pass.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 03-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
They are definitely not forbidden, but there is no law that the rest of society has to play along with their fantasy. We laugh at people who think they are Jesus or wizards ... Yet we're supposed to go along with this crap because it's sexual? Pass.
Simply because you don't want to go along with it does not preclude a person from doing it. Especially since we've established there is now law forbidding them from doing so.


Buddy.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #38
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Simply because you don't want to go along with it does not preclude a person from doing it. Especially since we've established there is now law forbidding them from doing so.


Buddy.
I'm not your buddy guy.
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Because it's a law. Now point to one that tells me a person is forbidden to believe they're the opposite sex.
Repeal the law? Profit?
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Because it's a law. Now point to one that tells me a person is forbidden to believe they're the opposite sex.
well if there was a law saying that you would be here arguing how it's morally wrong.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use