E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #121
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'm positive that Klipsch makes good stuff, that's why all of the speakers I own are Klipsch. But when it comes to subwoofers, is there really that much of a difference until you get to the high end of stuff? If so...then what makes a better subwoofer? A $200 Polk or a $700 Klipsch. I imagine that there is a bit of badge pricing on speakers no matter what you buy, but how much is there?
A $200 Polk will not be better than a $700 anything.

The cheap subwoofer prices I quoted earlier were for a package deal from Polk promo. If you buy $500 in speakers, you get $300 off any subwoofer.

This is a fantastic deal especially when you get the $500 in speakers on sale.

Basically, you can get $600 or $700 in speakers on sale for $500 and a $500 sub for $200. So $1200 package for $700 with warranty. Plus save $100+ on shipping plus another $100 and taxes. Etc.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 02-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #122
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
This is 99% complete horsesh1t.

WTF does "separation between low, mid and highs" mean?

Personally, I think center channels are overrated. Properly positioned stereo mains can give you the same effect. And when center channels are D'Appolito configured and laid horizontal (like 90% of center channels are, for some reason), they can flat out suck. D'Appolito (mid-tweet-mid) = awful off-axis response. That's the whole point, to let the two speakers partially cancel each other out off-axis in order to reduce ceiling reflections. When laid on its side and used as a center channel, it means that people sitting to one side or the other get a crappy center channel performance.
It depends. For music, you're right, stereo is better imo. For multimedia use, I think a center channel can certainly enhance the experience.

Separation between lows, mids and highs is a real thing, but it can be good or bad. You really don't want to be able to identify frequencies coming from a particular driver- be it a sub, midbass, midrange or tweeter. That's the issue with crazy good/fast tweeters like plasma and ribbon tweeters. They sound terrific on their own, but because very few (if any) midranges can keep up with them, the sound of speakers using them tends not to be coherent. You can identify certain frequencies coming from one driver and not another. That's bad separation.

In a good way, separation is the ability to distinguish individual instruments and the like. No need to bash 100% of the guys post, just because 90% of it was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Vintage Klipsch is the tits. Klipschorns and Lascalas are awesome. Big horns, compression drivers with giant magnets, big cabinets, sensitivities in the 105 db range. Known for insane dynamics. The new stuff uses smaller cabinets, smaller horns, smaller compression driver motors = they took away the only things klipsch had going for it. Now known for edgy, peaky, bright sound = which could work if you're having a dance party in your living room . . but not my first choice for music or tv.
Really good horns are something special. I agree, they are incredibly dynamic and incredibly fast. The Avante Garde's were something else in that regard.

No these aren't the ones my dad had, but they are the same speakers.

dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #123
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
A while back I decided to go with the Definitive Prosystem 1000 paired with a Yamaha HTR 5940(150 wtts)...it's....decent, probably need to upgrade the amp to get better sound. Any input?

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #124
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'm in the process of building this exact system in pieces. So far I have the fronts and centers and I love the sound that they make. I hope to get the rears this year but I'm not overly sold on the subwoofer.

With Glock's recommendation on the Polk subwoofer, I might give that a try as it's substantiallly cheaper than the Klipsch one. The last thing I want to do is pay for a name over performance.
here is a pic of my klipsch woofer tucked away. its a 10", i believe, but it packs a big punch. the other speakers contribute to the bass, but its more than i need. a larger one wouldn't have fit where i wanted it.

pretty fierce.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #125
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
here is a pic of my klipsch woofer tucked away. its a 10", i believe, but it packs a big punch. the other speakers contribute to the bass, but its more than i need. a larger one wouldn't have fit where i wanted it.

pretty fierce.
Do you not get weird resonance with your front speakers in the entertainment center like that?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #126
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
Do you not get weird resonance with your front speakers in the entertainment center like that?
I was thinking about how it might sound weird considering how the horns would be way above the listeners head. But whatever.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 03-03-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #127
roastbeef

sounds great to me, but i'm not an expert or a sound snob. i'm very happy with how it performs. better sound than a movie theater.

^ DD.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #128
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
sounds great to me, but i'm not an expert or a sound snob. i'm very happy with how it performs. better sound than a movie theater.
and that's all that matters

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #129
roastbeef

i've had it for a little over a year and i'm still blown away with how great it sounds. i'll admit that it does have influence on what types of movies i'm more likely to pick to watch. (action movies with the bangs and booms)

^ DD.