E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Secondary Air Pump (SAP) disassembly (pics)

I flashed Euro3 firmware a long time ago. Euro3 doesn't monitor SAP, so you may remove it w/o CEL. I removed the SAP about 3 mo ago, since it started to produce very unpleasant sounds. However, I am now planning to move to Cali with their nazis emission tests and I thought about re-building the SAP just in case. I used these topics as references:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=332148
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=402816

Here what I found (in pics)

To remove the impeller I just tapped the hole by M6x1.00 and used the 40mm M6x1.00 bolt to remove the impeller. I used vise grips to hold it in place while ratcheting the bolt until the impeller is off:

So, now, to remove the motor I just wacked on the shaft (pic above) by a rubber mallet. The motor is out:

As you can see it is completely rusted out and not worth of rebuilding. I can't find the replacement motor either. I know from another topic that it is supposed to be a Johnson HC971(2)LG-101, but they don't sell it retail. There is a similar motor Graupner 900 BB, but it is hard to find either. Moreover, it seems too long (85mm), since the original motor is shorter:

So, at the moment I don't know will I assemble it back or leave it as is.

Last edited by Nervous; 03-03-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1362376731
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
unless the euro3 tuning alters the emissions were it would fail the test, I wouldn't worry about the secondary air pump..i'm pretty sure they wouldn't even know it's missing...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I'm curious about something - is there a lot of other corrosion on other parts of your engine or engine bay?
I am asking because there is obviously a lot of corrosion inside that motor.
But, I am also starting to wonder about the way the vacuum actuated SAP valve works. It is not unusual to remove one of these valves, and find a lot of soot on the pump side of the valve, and inside the hose running from the pump to the valve. It is well known that the hoses degrade quite a bit, and it is not unusual to find the hose severely degraded, and covered with a layer of soot inside it. The thing is, these hoses should only have cool, clean air flowing through them, so why do they break down so badly?
The thing is, the hose should not degrade like it does, and there really should not be soot inside that hose, or on the pump side of the valve. I have always thought that this was odd, since the valve should close when the SAP shuts off, and there should not be any exhaust gasses flowing back through that valve. I think that the vacuum that opens the valve is not bleeding off, and exhaust gasses are actually flowing back up the valve and hose, and ultimately into the pump itself, because the valve is not closing when the SAP is shutting off. If hot exhaust gasses are blowing back through the valve, and ultimately into the motor, then obviously, this would not be good for the motor.
I became more convinced of this recently. There is a second version of the SAP valve that is not vacuum actuated, but opens from the pressure of the SAP pump, and closes as soon as the SAP shuts off. I had one pulled off of a car at a junkyard, and the first thing I noticed was that the pump side of the valve was perfectly clean, and there was no soot inside the hose. In fact, the hose was in perfect shape, even though the car had over 100k miles on it. I plan on installing it on my car, and eleminating the vacuum line to the SAP valve, and plugging it off at the vacuum solenoid. I just have to make sure that my SAP produces enough pressure to open the valve.
I realize this is a bit of a sideline to your pump issue, but I wonder if exhaust gasses flowing back into the pump are what caused it to corrode and fail.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Nervous

No corrosion in the engine bay, and yes, I believe you are right that the reason of such heavy corrosion of the pump's motor is the exhaust gases. Probably, the air valve failed a long time ago ( however currently it is in the closed position, I haven't removed it yet, just disconnected the vacuum hose from it)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Junkyard SAP?
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
can you take a look at the noisy SAP on startup? mine does it but would really be grateful if i can fix it..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
unless the euro3 tuning alters the emissions were it would fail the test, I wouldn't worry about the secondary air pump..i'm pretty sure they wouldn't even know it's missing...
This!

I had my emmisions test in the state of VA, with the EU3 tune and it passed.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Nervous

Yes, Euro3 tune marks Secondary Air Pump monitor as N/A and there is no problem to pass MD inspection too. However, my concern was that in Cali they also visually check the engine bay in order to find any mods to emission system. I think I'll just complete the SAP delete by removing the air valve and putting a special plate in its place, plus I'll remove the vacuum line, so it will look 'factory'.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Nervous

BTW, the cheapest brand new air pump is $201 from www.bmaparts.com (part no: 11727553056). Plus the new air valve (11727553063) - $81. With the coupon 'specE30' overall it will be $268 total.

From other hand, the plate 11121438086 / 11727514860 (gasket) / 11721742644 (2x new nuts) will be utmost $25.... 10 times difference.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I have this done to my car and have the block plate installed. I have no issues with emissions so far.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I have been looking for other cars with SAP's that may fit in an e46, but are a lot cheaper, similar to the Hyundai MAF that fits on certain models of e46. Theoretically, you only need one that has the same air flow, and can fit in the space of the factory air pump, with minimal modification. If there is something that will work, and cost considerably less than the BMW version, it may be a usable solution. Of course, this would offend the sensibilities of some people, but I am sure that plenty of others would be glad to have a cheaper solution. I have not had much luck so far, but I have not been searching for too long. My SAP is fine so far, but I just thought it would be a good thing to research. If anyone has any ideas, or has seen other brands of cars with a similar looking SAP pump, let me know, and I will dig in to the specs. The biggest problem is that not many cars are as well documented as BMW's, at least not on the Internet.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Nervous

Volvo is using similar air pump (at least 1998 V70 does, according to the one of the topic I referred to in my 1st post). But it is even more expensive than BMW's!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I think this is just one of those parts we have to bite the bullet on and just pay for a brand new unit. same w/ the disa. pretty cool to see the insides of it though. good work

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
wife's is making that horrible groaning noise on startup. hoping warm weather comes here soon so it will stop! not looking forward to replacing that part as I hate replacing parts on her car when it could mean more money replacing parts on my car!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
How about using a SAP Simulator? Would that get you by the Calif smog check? Search for "Romoguy" on bimmerforums who sells the PCBs and instructions for $15.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Nervous

That sim makes sense if I re-flash back to US tune. Put the sim inside the air pump housing (instead of the rusted motor), plug all holes and install the new 'air pump' back to the car.... :-) I'll keep this in mind.

Last edited by Nervous; 03-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Put the sim inside the air pump housing (instead of the rusted motor), plug all holes and install the new 'air pump' back to the car.... :-) I'll keep this in mind.
That would be awesome if it works. Would it throw an O2 code?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote