E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #81
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Something about "bricking" my DME has made me lean toward paying someone else to do it. I can run the PA Soft, it doesn't scare me, bc it's not changing the registries of the computer, so to speak.

By the time I invest in the connector kit, and a stable power supply to keep my battery charged, I'm probably out the $85 a local indy quoted me. If I brick the DME in the process, I'm out what, $800 - $1,000?

I'm still open to being talked into it though. Give me some resources to learn more about the process. bmtechnic is closed until 2/28. I may give that a try.

bmtechnic lists computer requirements including "Dual Core Processor running at least 1.6Ghz". Is a dual core processor necessary? I have a single core processor running at 2.2Ghz, is that sufficient?
I've done this on a 700MHz computer running windows 2000. Single core should be fine

The only issue might be if you have to run in a VM
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #82
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
If I ask what "VM" means, should I have someone else flash my DME? I assume VM means running in virtual memory, but I take nothing for granted when discussing computers. I have 3 GB of RAM, which should be enough.

I asked bmtechnic about this, and their response was "Generally single core processors do not have the certain features required to use VMWare, which means you may not be able to use DIS or SSS. Even if they do work then they would run horrendously slow."

I assume (again) that I would be using Winkfp to reflash the DME. Would I eventually want to play with DIS or SSS?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #83
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
I thought of purchasing the cable and diy this, but the time ill spend setting this up will not be economical for me. My appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully the tech knows what to do.

Should I ask him for the specific Euro2 tune? 2004 330... which update should I clerify with the tech?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
You just want to tell him to install the latest US software version for your DME. I'm guessing that they aren't even allowed to install any Euro software.

EDIT: I'm assuming you live in the US, if not then guess I can't answer your question.

Last edited by mrmaico; 03-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #84
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
yes Im in canada.
i got slightly confused from some of the threads. People are updating to euro2 version and apperently it makes a noticable difference in low end tourque. They also delete thier SAP pump and this helps quite a bit as well.

Ok, so US spec it is. thanks

Last edited by pawelgawel; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 AM.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #85
TerraPhantm

Can't install Euro software on MS45.1 cars. Which is what all 03.5+ US/Canada RWD non-M E46s are
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #86
pawelgawel

just got the car back... updated DME

took the car for a test ride on highway. I tried to trigger the stutter as it usually happened on 5th and 6th gear 99% of the time. This time I couldn't trigger the symptom. I think the update worked. Ill give it some time before Im convinved fully, but for now I think it did the trick

got a car wash and a free rental too. total cost was $118 tax in

Last edited by pawelgawel; 03-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #87
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
just got the car back... updated DME

took the car for a test ride on highway. I tried to trigger the stutter as it usually happened on 5th and 6th gear 99% of the time. This time I couldn't trigger the symptom. I think the update worked. Ill give it some time before Im convinved fully, but for now I think it did the trick

got a car wash and a free rental too. total cost was $118 tax in
Awesome! Glad to hear it did the job for you.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #88
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Add me to the list of flashed DME, problem solved. This was on my last ZHP several years ago.

Last edited by Grande D; 03-04-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #89
pawelgawel

Just did 200 mile trip... not one stutter!!! Im 100% convinced.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #90
juash

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Add my name to this list. Ive been chasing this problem for the better part of 3 years now. I've thrown just about every part (with research & reason) at the problem and it still bucks from 2-3000rpms. I've taken it to the dealer for a software update which seemed to fix the problem for about 25 miles after-which the car 'adapts' and reverts to having the same old symptoms. I've really been frustrated by this issue and have been trying to nail it down forever. I'm noticing that the hesitation & bucking also happens on deceleration (foot off gas) when declining thru the same 3-2000RPM range. It also occurs at different intensities, sometimes a heavy jerk, other times a soft shutter...but always within the same RPM range in gears 1,2 & 3. I have a manual so it's easy to test this.

I'm almost convinced that it is not a part, rather it's the DME. An update to the software was a temporary fix and made the car drive amazing for a few miles. Once in a blue moon when Im driving to work the hesitation will disappear and the car will run great- but that's 1 out of 100. I'm wondering if Dyno'ing the car would be a permanent solution. Would the Conforti Shark fix the issue? It seems to be my last hope.

Last edited by juash; 03-07-2013 at 11:54 PM.
juash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #91
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juash View Post
Add my name to this list. Ive been chasing this problem for the better part of 3 years now. I've thrown just about every part (with research & reason) at the problem and it still bucks from 2-3000rpms. I've taken it to the dealer for a software update which seemed to fix the problem for about 25 miles after-which the car 'adapts' and reverts to having the same old symptoms. I've really been frustrated by this issue and have been trying to nail it down forever. I'm noticing that the hesitation & bucking also happens on deceleration (foot off gas) when declining thru the same 3-2000RPM range. It also occurs at different intensities, sometimes a heavy jerk, other times a soft shutter...but always within the same RPM range in gears 1,2 & 3. I have a manual so it's easy to test this.

I'm almost convinced that it is not a part, rather it's the DME. An update to the software was a temporary fix and made the car drive amazing for a few miles. Once in a blue moon when Im driving to work the hesitation will disappear and the car will run great- but that's 1 out of 100. I'm wondering if Dyno'ing the car would be a permanent solution. Would the Conforti Shark fix the issue? It seems to be my last hope.
For MS45.1 cars, 99% chance it's a software issue.

For MS42 and MS43 cars (like your own), 99% chance it's a hardware issue.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #92
juash

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

Dang....so the throwing of parts continues. Without any SES lights and 90% of known problematic parts swapped, I guess the search continues. ****.

List of things I've tried so far:
- Fuel Pump (Sept 2012)
-Fuel Injectors (April 2012)
- DME Update (Feb 2012)
- DISA Inspection & new O ring (Feb 2012)
- ICV Inspection & cleaning (Feb 2012)
- VANOS seals (March 2011)
- Spark Plugs (March 2011)
- Intake Boot (May 2011)
- Thermostat (May 2011)
- Ignition Coils (6) (July 2011)
- PreCat 02 Sensors (2) (August 2011)
- Fuel Filter (August 2011)
- Mass Airflow Sensor (October 2011)
- Voltage Regulator for alternator (November 2011)

Last edited by juash; 03-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
juash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #93
TerraPhantm

Hmm well one major difference between your issue and the one that most of the MS45.1 cars get is that your car jerks even off throttle. If it worked fine for 25 miles and then started having the issue again... that really sounds like a sensor issue of some sort. I know you've already done your MAF -- but try running with it unplugged and see if it gives the same issue.

Also, have you checked any drivelne components? I know being RPM dependent makes you think engine, but these things can be tricky. For example, I was recently getting a vibration at 7500-8000 RPM. Turns out one of my underbody panels was cracked and creating turbulence. Fixed that and now it drives well. So I guess the high RPMs and turbulence caused vibrations such that they resonated through my whole car.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #94
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Wouldn't a bad maf show fuel trims being off. What software do you have to check them.

I've heard replacing the disa even after being checked magically solved problems like this but I not remember when the comes in. I've done almost everything ou have done except fuel pump.

I'm hoping motor mounts and vanos seals fix mine but I have my doubts.

Something I recently heard. Bmw did an emissions recall widening the range of the o2 sensors or something like that. Someone with an m3 just told me that today. He basically said it was a free dme reflash. Has anyone heard of this. What I've seen.....it is just for the m3

You can get inpa with a cable for$50 on ebay

Last edited by glhx; 03-08-2013 at 07:33 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #95
wildirish317

Okay PainBreak, you can add me to the list of "problem solved by DME reflash". Got her back from the local indy, and OMG! The engine is dead smooth now. It's not only smooth between 2000 and 3000 rpm, but smoother throughout the entire rpm range. When I drove it out of the parking lot, I wondered if they had changed the gearbox oil too (they didn't), because the clutch engagement was so much smoother. Geez, should've dropped this $92.31 months ago!

I debated for weeks about whether to do it myself, but after researching the process, and counting the costs, it was cheaper to have the indy do it.

If you need work done in the Louisville area, Mike Johns Imports is a great place to get it done.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #96
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by juash View Post

Dealer most likely clear the adaptations and that is why the issue came back within 25 miles. You can duplicate this by clearing them yourself using BMWLogger. The DME reflash is a whole new software to work with the issue and if it is still there then maybe there is carbon build up in the engine/valves. A little seafoam doesn't hurt.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #97
wildirish317

Here's the PA Soft screen post-DME flash:

Prior to the reflash, I only had the top line (duh). Note the different "Assembly" and "Software" numbers on the second line, dated today.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #98
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

Why would software fix a problem that has developed over time? The software hasn't changed so what has changed to cause this problem?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #99
wildirish317

From what I've gleaned over the forums, the original program had the O2 adaptations (don't ask me what that really means) set in too narrow of a range. As the cars age, the O2 signals to the DME fell out of the range, thus causing the DME to react when it shouldn't, causing the engine to "stutter". The upgraded software apparently addresses this, widening the range. There's a post in this thread (by jfoj or TerrePhantom) that talks about this. I'm much more of a mechanical guy than electrical, so this is the limit of my understanding.

In my case, I wanted the current software running before I started throwing parts at the car. It's kind of like when I shut my computer off, and Windows wants to download and install 17 updates. I simply wanted the newest software running in my DME, one that addressed bugs that have been found. Why else would BMW come out with a software upgrade. My disappointment with BMW is that they do not offer this upgrade free of charge.

Also, this only seems to affect 2003 and 2004 models. I'm not sure why.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #100
pawelgawel

^ totally agree that such an update to a software (that should have been addressed from the beginning) should be free of charge. These aren't Ferraris or Lambos that require high end computer updates.

My friend took his m3 for an oil change and did his update for free... its just another money grab from those who do notice this issue and worry. The average Joe wont even know about this issue.