E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
titans99

My Ride: E46 M3
Gas door actuator won't unlock!!

I have found several topics while searching but I haven't found an answer to this particular problem. My gas door actuator will lock, but it won't unlock. Has anyone else had this problem? When I lock it with the gas door open, I see it pop out(lock), but when I unlock, it stays out. I have to manually push it back in or use the emergency open tether in the trunk when the gas door isn't open. Please help. Do I need to replace the actuator? What would make it work one direction and not the other? Thanks for help in advance.
titans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans99 View Post
I have found several topics while searching but I haven't found an answer to this particular problem. My gas door actuator will lock, but it won't unlock. Has anyone else had this problem? When I lock it with the gas door open, I see it pop out(lock), but when I unlock, it stays out. I have to manually push it back in or use the emergency open tether in the trunk when the gas door isn't open. Please help. Do I need to replace the actuator? What would make it work one direction and not the other? Thanks for help in advance.
Something is broken or it's dirty. See if you can remove the part from the car to examine it. May be able to just clean it to make it work again.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
GLOK1132

My Ride: 2002 325i
I just pulled back the trunk liner and re aligned the locking bar and it worked again. Definitely try to fix it yourself before buying another.
GLOK1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Two thoughts:
The pin itself may be bent, causing it to stick when you try to unlock it. This usually happens when people lock their doors when the gas door is open, and then slam the door shut. Try bending the pin either up or down, and see if that fixes it. You can get an idea if it is rubbing by opening the gas door, locking your doors, then closing your gas door against the pin, and see if it looks too high, low, or pushed too far back to engage properly. This would be my first bet.

The second would involve the GM5 module failures, which play havoc with door locks. Since the gas door is controlled by the same module, it could possibly be affected. Email the guy who runs the website below, and he can help determine if this may be the issue:
http://www.bmwgm5.com/
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
titans99

My Ride: E46 M3
Well, it's not bent from what I can tell. Would it be normal for an actuator to fail only in one direction? I find that odd. I will pull it out to see if it needs cleaning and lubed. Will post back.
titans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans99 View Post
Well, it's not bent from what I can tell. Would it be normal for an actuator to fail only in one direction? I find that odd. I will pull it out to see if it needs cleaning and lubed. Will post back.
No, it would not be normal for an actuator to fail in one direction.
Did you look at the link about the GM 5 module though?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Mine has t worked right in forever. I messed with the code reader/programming software i have and I worked right for about a week. No errors in the system but its back to not locking and when I does lock after a few days. It stays locked.
Before I buy a new actuator. Any other suggestions? I saw something about wd40. Which I'm gonna try since when I pull one back with the emergency release it feels tight. Is that normal?

Also, my detent pin def rubs the has door hole on the way out. U can see paint on the pin and run marks on the inner of the lil door. So could mine just be dirty and misaligned?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
Mine has t worked right in forever. I messed with the code reader/programming software i have and I worked right for about a week. No errors in the system but its back to not locking and when I does lock after a few days. It stays locked.
Before I buy a new actuator. Any other suggestions? I saw something about wd40. Which I'm gonna try since when I pull one back with the emergency release it feels tight. Is that normal?

Also, my detent pin def rubs the has door hole on the way out. U can see paint on the pin and run marks on the inner of the lil door. So could mine just be dirty and misaligned?
If it has been misaligned for a while before it stopped working, then the actuator may be burned up/worn out. Lubricating the mechanisim, after you bend it up so it is aligned correctly, is a place to start. If you get it lubricated, and aligned correctly, and it still does not work reliably, meaning every time it should lock or unlock, then you may need to replace the actuator.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Snik
OEM ///Member

Ok. Thanks. Will try that 1st then.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
orthotist

My Ride: 2002 M3, Infiniti FX
Actuator

Did you ever find out the problem?
orthotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member

Yeah. The actuator sh1t the bed. I eventually removed it. Turns out BMW updated the connector to it in 03, and well. Getting a new actuator with the pre 03 pin proved extremely difficult. I had no actuator and no way I secure the door for months. Lucked out when a buddy was parting out his 330. That's how I scored an actuator.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

Basically the actuator has a small electric motor inside but turns plastic gears. You know how that goes.

If u have a new style actuator pin I have a brand new actuator I bought and couldn't use. Lemme know.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app