E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
Cam/crank sensors throw codes but if they don't have multiple faults in a row AKA "intermittently" then you wont get SES or CEL.

You also have 2 camshaft sensors and 1 crankshaft sensor all 3 could cause these symptoms.
Interesting. I've replaced one already, I guess about a year ago. I guess I'll wait on the other two until I get a solid SES light. Would the intermittent codes be stored and accessible with a BMW scanner?
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Whoever wrote about the car stalling in turns - have you cleaned your throttle body? That can make a car stall when you let up on the accelerator.

It's a shame someone has to apologize in the first line of their post for posting.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Interesting. I've replaced one already, I guess about a year ago. I guess I'll wait on the other two until I get a solid SES light. Would the intermittent codes be stored and accessible with a BMW scanner?
You could read them with a scanner. But very often when one is bad you get codes from all 3. So the best would be to clear codes, keep a scanner handy and the next time it acts up scan immediately.

I am not saying this is your problem, though it could be. Im just saying that no CEL/SES is not the same as no codes.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
330iPilot

When my last CPS went bad on me it threw a code telling me specifically which one went bad with nothing from the other two.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Ya, all boots are in good shape. There seemed to be enough oil in there that it seems like the CCV is on its way out. No honking noise or anything like that though. At 11 years old I wonder if I just shouldn't replace it to be sure. I need to do my OFHG for the second time. Plus I need to do my Vanos as well. Little by little I'm getting them all knocked out.
How many miles? It wouldn't hurt to do the ccv, though how is your car now?

You cleaned icv...did you clean TB too as mentioned? TB gasket is a nice thing to do while there.

If the stalling issue improves, as I said, try cleaning it better next time.

But also, look into the maf (I'm not rereading...too lazy!)...start with cleaning connectors...some have 'recrimped' the female crimps. I usually clean every electrical connector when I open it, and I doubt it's helped me, but I know the crimping has helped a few here...cheaper than a maf.

If it runs better without maf, it's either the maf or air leak...or something else I'm not thinking of!

GL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
330iPilot

I've got 124K on it and it runs great. No stumbling, no misfires or anything like a lot of guys are reporting here. Just that little irritating stall once in a great while. Cleaned the MAF 2K ago. I'll check those connectors. I need to clean the throttle body too. It was pretty clean when I was doing the ICV but it could still use it. I was just too pressed for time right then.

Last edited by 330iPilot; 02-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
330iPilot

Update: I guess it was my dirty ICV. No issues at all since cleaning it. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
My car has the same stalling problem, my mechanic diagnosed it for bad MAF, changed it and now working fantastic!
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
330iPilot

Wouldn't you fvcking know it! As soon as I wrote it I went out and drove my car and the damn thing stalled twice!!!!!!! I need to get my hands on a BMW scanner.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
camshaft position sensor.
Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Got a intake cam pos sensor code. Ordered an OEM ONE from Pelican for $55. That better solve the issue dammit!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #31
Importjunkie

My Ride: 00 Prelude
You should also replace your vanos seals with the beisan ones. It fixed my occasional stalling issue and gave me some noticeable low end torque.
Importjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
tailspnr

My Ride: 03 325i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
camshaft position sensor.
My thoughts exactly. Just replaced mine as it was doing the exact same thing.
Quote:
That would throw a code
Mine did not initially throw a code. Once the problem became bad enough it eventually threw a SES light and a code directing me to the proper sensor/bank.
Quote:
Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Got a intake cam pos sensor code. Ordered an OEM ONE from Pelican for $55. That better solve the issue dammit!
Glad you found your problem. My power increased significantly after I replaced mine. But after spending the last week reading this forum I've come to the conclusion that I should be preparing to do all sorts of other maintenance and I expect she's gonna run even better!

EDIT: mine has not died once since I replaced the CPS.

Last edited by tailspnr; 03-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
tailspnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importjunkie View Post
You should also replace your vanos seals with the beisan ones. It fixed my occasional stalling issue and gave me some noticeable low end torque.
That's on the short list. I'm going to do my OFHG, VCG, VANOS, and ICV in one fell swoop here pretty soon. VCG and OFHG is being done for the second time since I've owned the car.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
That's on the short list. I'm going to do my OFHG, VCG, VANOS, and ICV in one fell swoop here pretty soon. VCG and OFHG is being done for the second time since I've owned the car.
I did the VCG and VANOS replacement a few years ago, it was very easy. Made a nice difference too and fixed my cold weather stalling.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #35
330iPilot

The other day I did my oil pan gasket, fuel filter, LCA's, LCA bushings, engine mounts and cleaned my ICV. I'm getting there slowly but surely.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i have replaced my Maf and still stalling, what could be the problem?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
330iPilot

Replacing the CPS fixed all my stalling issues.