E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Z3r0115

My Ride: 300zxtt
Possible clutch issue?

Hi guys just bought my second e46 323i for a really good price. Only issue i am facing is when i press the clutch pedal down it makes a nasty grinding sound and its very touch to put into the gears. Also, the clutch pedal only goes half way up, meaning it does not fully return to its original position after pressing it down and letting it go. Ive changed the clutch on many cars so its not a problem for me just want to make sure if i should check anything else before dropping the tranny. No leaks, and clutch fluid seems to be full. Any tips would help!

Thanks!
Z3r0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
How is the level in the brake fluid reservoir? (Its a Shared reservoir)

Clutch Slave cylinder is easy, and cheap to replace. This could cause difficult shifts.

The Clutch Master Cylinder could be on the outs, causing your pedal return issue, be aware that there's a clutch return spring as well, that could be worn or stretched, and not fully returning the pedal.

A proper bleed, and above items would be a good place to start, before dropping the trans.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 03-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Z3r0115

sounds good! thats the first thing i checked. The reservoir is in between min/max so im fine on that part. I appreciate your input. The car has 180,000 miles and i am unknown what work has been done before i owned it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
///MPR77

Update?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Z3r0115

ordered clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and the return spring just like you mentioned! waiting for parts to arrive and will let you know the status
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3r0115 View Post
ordered clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and the return spring just like you mentioned! waiting for parts to arrive and will let you know the status
Right on, as far as the spring goes, it may be a long shot, but its super cheap.
When I replaced mine, I looped a zip tie around the spring loop that attaches to the pedal, then you can stick your finger through the zip tie loop created, which will allow you to pull the spring and connect it to the pedal, (then simply cut and remove zip tie)easier than having to use needle nose pliers...if that makes sense.

GL.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Z3r0115

a little update!

so i changed the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pivot pin, slave cylinder and master cylinder. the problem was the pivot pin it was severely worn which destroyed my throwout bearing into pieces.

Now the issue im facing is it is almost impossible to put the trans into any gear. Literally have to force it in. also the clutch starts to engage when i almost fully release the clutch pedal. I have everything new with a proper bleed. Is there some kind of pedal adjustment or something?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Z3r0115

Also there is a lot of play in the clutch pedal now that i noticed. you have to press the clutch pedal more than halfway to feel any resistance. No idea what could be causing this.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
///MPR77

Damn, sorry to hear.

How did you bleed the lines, what method?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Z3r0115

i bled the lines from the slave cylinder i was unlocking the bleed screw after my partner has finished pumping the pedal 5 times. release then lock and repeat until all air bubbles were gone in the air tube.

I think i found the problem though. I have a SAC. its a 2000 323i and we removed the locking mechanism from the pressure platebefore installing it to the flywheel. Did some research and apparently you are not supposed to remove it. Now i dont have the special tools to lock the pressure plate again so im going to have to look for a new pressure plate first time im doing a SAC so i feel like a noob for removing that.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
///MPR77

Oh ****....lol.

I have one for you...come to LA and its yours.. free!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363541550937.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	495950

Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Is my clutch worn out?

If I'm shift into a gear, completely let out of the clutch, and go heavy on the gas pedal I would get a momentary lag before the the power catches on. The engine sounds normal, I don't see a RPM surge, but if I have to describe a slip that's what it would feel like.

Normal driving is fine. When I go heavy on the gas while in gear though it kind of feels like the acceleration is "uneven", if you will. Is this the sign that my 165k mile clutch is going? How much is it to replace? 1K?