E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
TCU Programming

I have been on the FI section of this forum for awhile and now that I have had IPT do a complete upgrade on my ZF auto, I am now getting transmission error lights which Buckhead Import Performance says has to do with the traction control. BIP says that they have not found anyone who programs the TCU (no, not even IPT) in order to fix this glitch. The car runs fine until I punch it to carry more speed thru a big sweeper, the transmission light comes on and it goes into a partial limp mode - shifts when it should but very hard, I turn it off, wait a minute and restart which clears it. Until I do any power acceleration with the car in a curve.
Who can I go to to fix this computer glitch in my TCU programming?

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Jim Murphy

Anybody heard of Auto Logic?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Jim Murphy

Trying to learn more about this issue, I first pressed the DSC button to turn it off (just the triangle light) and made a hard run. Transmission light came on and it went into the partial limp mode which I cleared. Next, I pressed the DSC button and held it down until both the triangle and brake lights came on. I again made a hard run and the transmission light came back on with the resulting partial limp mode - I cleared this.
I am told that there is a traction control module in the engine bay that I can disconnect and still drive the car. Will this do anything more than what I have already done?

Any help will be much appreciated.

TIA,
Jim
Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
332xi

My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
what does this error light look like? does it have the circle around the "!"? i've had my rehauled ipt tranny for years now, and i've never had a tranny related issue.... i did have the "!" when my tune was off.
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Jim Murphy

The transmission error light looks like a round toothed gear and it is right next to the transmission gear selection display - P, D, R, N, . . . .
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Jim,

What is your tire spec? Is it in stock diameter? Changing tire size will affect this...

-Trip
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Jim Murphy

I have been running 255/35-18's on the front and 275/35-18's on the rear for over four years with no problem whatsoever. This error code started appearing AFTER I got back the IPT rebuilt transmission. Jason @BIP suspects that the power now going thru the transmission is overwhelming the TCU. Since the rears were about worn out I have just replaced them with smaller 265/35-18's to see if the tire size has any effect - nope. Somehow the TCU has to be programmed to be more tolerant of the new power.

Jim
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Jim,

I think the tire size difference may be the issue, not the traction control. One way to test this is to borrow a set of "square" tires to try on your car.

Your existing front has a roll-out of 78.6 inches, and the rear 79.5 inches. Technically this would be "Under-slip", or a negative slip value. I'm not sure how the traction control map is set up with MS45.1, but on race cars we use a different slip allowance for corners than in a straight line. The reason is that the side loading on the tire reduces the longitudinal grip resulting in say a 5% rate of slip being optimal in a corner versus say 15% when going in a straight line. BMW may have this mapped based on torque output from the engine, steering angle as well as rate of change of steering angle, G force, and finally wheel slip as a feedback mechanism. Changing the torque output value, or allowed value, may help you hide the difference in wheel speed causing the feedback loop to trigger an error, but it won't give you optimal traction control.

If you don't have access to another set of wheels, I would consider changing your front tire to a 235/40/18. (79.8" roll out)
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Trying to learn more about this issue, I first pressed the DSC button to turn it off (just the triangle light) and made a hard run. Transmission light came on and it went into the partial limp mode which I cleared. Next, I pressed the DSC button and held it down until both the triangle and brake lights came on. I again made a hard run and the transmission light came back on with the resulting partial limp mode - I cleared this.
I am told that there is a traction control module in the engine bay that I can disconnect and still drive the car. Will this do anything more than what I have already done?

Any help will be much appreciated.

TIA,
Jim

I just disconnected the module next to the master cylinder. First reaction is that the following has happened:
1. Speedometer is not working along with the MPG gauge
2. These lights are now on - traction control, brake, ABS and TPMS.

Driving is fine and the transmission shifts fine as well. The car feels a little edgy as I now have to adjust to any difference in surface grip. I can now
"peel out" from a standing start with not much throttle as both rear tires are controlled by my OS Giken LSD.
Later, after several hard run attempts I finally got the transmission light to come on and go into the partial limp mode - I stopped and cleared it.
My conclusion is that it now takes more to get the transmission light to come on. What does this mean?

Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Jim,

I think the tire size difference may be the issue, not the traction control. One way to test this is to borrow a set of "square" tires to try on your car.

Your existing front has a roll-out of 78.6 inches, and the rear 79.5 inches. Technically this would be "Under-slip", or a negative slip value. I'm not sure how the traction control map is set up with MS45.1, but on race cars we use a different slip allowance for corners than in a straight line. The reason is that the side loading on the tire reduces the longitudinal grip resulting in say a 5% rate of slip being optimal in a corner versus say 15% when going in a straight line. BMW may have this mapped based on torque output from the engine, steering angle as well as rate of change of steering angle, G force, and finally wheel slip as a feedback mechanism. Changing the torque output value, or allowed value, may help you hide the difference in wheel speed causing the feedback loop to trigger an error, but it won't give you optimal traction control.

If you don't have access to another set of wheels, I would consider changing your front tire to a 235/40/18. (79.8" roll out)
As I mentioned above, I have been running the 255/35F and 275/35R for many years now with no trouble at all. And the post right above this one where I still get the transmission light even though the traction control module has been disconnected. What is the next step?

Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I believe the car is still reading all 4 wheels speed sensor even tho the module is unplugged. What code popped up the second time since you plugged?

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 03-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Jim,

Were you able to rev the engine above 5200 RPM with the brake module disconnected?

If you were able to rev above 5200 RPM, I would suggest to try disconnecting the left rear wheel speed sensor. If you are unable to rev above 5200 RPM with this sensor disconnected, and the brake module disconnected, the speed signal used by the TCU is coming from somewhere else.

I've experienced an RPM limit across a few models and brands when the rear left speed sensor signal is absent. I think it may have something to do with OBD and an automaker's legal obligations.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I believe the car is still reading all 4 wheels speed sensor even tho the module is unplugged. What code popped up the second time since you plugged?
I agree.

I think it's feasible that a passive speed signal throughput may be occurring, versus an active filtered signal with the ABS system active.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
All I know is the transmission light came back on. It will be in the shop soon to be checked out.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Jim,

Were you able to rev the engine above 5200 RPM with the brake module disconnected?

If you were able to rev above 5200 RPM, I would suggest to try disconnecting the left rear wheel speed sensor. If you are unable to rev above 5200 RPM with this sensor disconnected, and the brake module disconnected, the speed signal used by the TCU is coming from somewhere else.

I've experienced an RPM limit across a few models and brands when the rear left speed sensor signal is absent. I think it may have something to do with OBD and an automaker's legal obligations.
Just ran it in first gear to the redline and the transmission light came back on.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Just ran it in first gear to the redline and the transmission light came back on.
So that means that the DME is still getting a wheel speed signal from somewhere, and it could be sharing this with the TCU.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
so that means that the dme is still getting a wheel speed signal from somewhere, and it could be sharing this with the tcu.
x2
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Jim,

What FI do you have again?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Jim Murphy

AA Stage 2

I am now trying to run the ZF in Sport mode and, so far, no transmission light/semi-limp mode. We will see.

Jim
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Mormon

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I am having the same problem but with a stock gm transmission.
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote