E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
What are your lower body exercises? please help me fix my lower body routine

So what do you guys do on leg day other than just squats?

I'm pretty sure my gains in my legs/squats are lacking, partially because I don't know a pleothera of lower body exercises to keep my muscles from staying confused and plateauing and that's making gains slow.

Right now on squat days I'm generally doing a routine similiar to this:

squat 1x8
squat 1x6
squat 1x4
squat 1x6
squat 1x8
leg curl 2x8
hip aductor (sp?) 2x8
hip abductor 2x8
(some plyos) heisman jumps
elevated box jumps
ski slolm? (put the towel on the floor and jump back and forth over it while my head stays in the middle above it)

I also throw in some weighted lunges and weighted lunges with one leg back on the bench sometimes.

Please share with me what you do for leg days, and what you think I'm doing right/wrong.


Thanks in advance,
James

Last edited by Trashcan; 03-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
ruan916
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52
My Ride: 2002 325i
calf raises?
ruan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruan916 View Post
calf raises?
I usually remember to do calf raises every other squat day. I also usually do 2x12 or 2x15 with those.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
My leg workout last night. It hurts pretty bad right now and will only get worse throughout the day. If I don't grow on this I'll be annoyed lol. Ignore the points. That is a copy paste from fitocracy.

sets up until 185 were warm ups
Front Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)
95 lb x 10 reps (+59 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+78 pts)
185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)
185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)
185 lb x 6 reps (+98 pts)
115 lb x 15 reps (+72 pts)

Hurt my back squatting two weeks ago so did light pause sets. Go down slow and sit in the hole for 3 seconds then rise
Barbell Squat:
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
Pause sets

THE BURNNN
Goblet Squat (kettlebell):
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)

Lighter than in the past since I didn't do them in a while. Great for lower back and hamstrings
Romanian Deadlift:
155 lb x 9 reps (+69 pts)
155 lb x 10 reps (+70 pts)
155 lb x 10 reps (+70 pts)

50 jumps for time...which I did not time lol. Just did them in 30 reps then 20. Awesome finisher and really worked my calves.
Box Jumps:
30 jumps || 24 in (+107 pts)
20 jumps || 24 in (+66 pts
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
09f800st
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 97
My Ride: 2004 325I 2009 F800
Find a health club about 5 to 7 miles from home....Walk to the front door, turn around...then walk back home. Repeat 5 times per week.
Total cost; $0.00
09f800st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
sweetbro858
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 549
My Ride: BMW
__________________
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09f800st View Post
Find a health club about 5 to 7 miles from home....Walk to the front door, turn around...then walk back home. Repeat 5 times per week.
Total cost; $0.00
this may be the dumbest advice ever. Dude's trying to build his legs not walk because his doctor told him it would be good for him.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
my leg routine revolves around:
back squats
front squats
hack squats
lunges

i then finish off with:
goblet squats
box jumps
calf raises
leg curl machine
leg raise machine
burpees

mind you, i dont do all of this on the same day, but a sufficient combination of these should be enough to make you wish you never had legs
__________________

Last edited by Mike Larry; 03-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I love when randoms post advice.

I think any good basic leg routine should have majority of volume based on squats, then romanian Deadlifts and calf raises as accessories to really hammer the hamstrings and calves.

Other good exercises for legs would be deadlifts, lunges, leg press, goblet or front squats, pistol squats (noticing a trend here lol)

Sollys routine is really legit, I'm planing on giving it a try on Monday. I've really been missing front squats lately
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Squat
Leg press
Calf press
Leg curl
Romanian deadlift
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I love when randoms post advice.

I think any good basic leg routine should have majority of volume based on squats, then romanian Deadlifts and calf raises as accessories to really hammer the hamstrings and calves.

Other good exercises for legs would be deadlifts, lunges, leg press, goblet or front squats, pistol squats (noticing a trend here lol)

Sollys routine is really legit, I'm planing on giving it a try on Monday. I've really been missing front squats lately
sooo much pain. I hurt so bad right now lol. BTW my last heavy set of front squats were 5+. So anything I could get over 5. I felt like I'd collapse with one more and didn't trust my two spotters.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
My leg workout last night. It hurts pretty bad right now and will only get worse throughout the day. If I don't grow on this I'll be annoyed lol. Ignore the points. That is a copy paste from fitocracy.

sets up until 185 were warm ups
Front Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)
95 lb x 10 reps (+59 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+78 pts)
185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)
185 lb x 5 reps (+92 pts)
185 lb x 6 reps (+98 pts)
115 lb x 15 reps (+72 pts)

Hurt my back squatting two weeks ago so did light pause sets. Go down slow and sit in the hole for 3 seconds then rise
Barbell Squat:
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
135 lb x 6 reps (+70 pts)
Pause sets

THE BURNNN
Goblet Squat (kettlebell):
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+45 pts)

Lighter than in the past since I didn't do them in a while. Great for lower back and hamstrings
Romanian Deadlift:
155 lb x 9 reps (+69 pts)
155 lb x 10 reps (+70 pts)
155 lb x 10 reps (+70 pts)

50 jumps for time...which I did not time lol. Just did them in 30 reps then 20. Awesome finisher and really worked my calves.
Box Jumps:
30 jumps || 24 in (+107 pts)
20 jumps || 24 in (+66 pts
Great platform for me. I didn't have time to do everything, and i don't dead lift on any day other than dead lift day, but here's what i just finished:

1/3 mile jog to warm up my body
15 minute lower body stretch
Regular squats:
45 lb x 10 reps
95 lb x 10 reps
135 lb x 5 reps
160 lb x 5 reps
185 lb x 5 reps
185 lb x 5 reps
185 lb x 6 reps
205 lb x 6 reps
115 lb x 15 reps

1 x 40 24 in platform jumps

5 minute low intensity cool down stretch

Saturday is dead lifts and probably next Tuesday if i get up early enough I'll get a better squat day in. Now off to a 13 hour day on my feet moving around at work all day!

Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Just remember Romanian Deadlifts are totally different, they are great for the hamstrings etc. don't let the name fool you
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Just remember Romanian Deadlifts are totally different, they are great for the hamstrings etc. don't let the name fool you
Could you explain what they are? I'll look up some videos after work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Could you explain what they are? I'll look up some videos after work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
It's pretty much a Deadlift without the lift from the floor and a slight knee bend. It's primarily going to work your hams and a little bit of your lower back. IMO it's one of the best hamstring exercises
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Romanian or "stiff legged" Deadlifts are where you keep a micro bend in the knees at the top of the rep, and bend over from the hips until your back is parallel with the floor... This creates a great amount of tension / stretch in the hamstrings. I've done them heavy (225 lbs x 5) but i personally feel I get more out of them in the lower weight / higher rep ranges (recently did 155 x 10 for 3 sets)

You'll get what I mean once you watch a video.

Edit: beat me to it solly
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 03-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
RDL, GHR, front squat, back squat, lunges (bar in a front squat rack a back squat) goblet squats, lateral lunges, 1 leg squat, dead lifts, box squats, Bulgarian squats, Bulgarian split jumps, jump squats, thrusters, box jumps, mountain climbers. Ect. I can suggest more depending on the equipment you have
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Romanian or "stiff legged" Deadlifts are where you keep a micro bend in the knees at the top of the rep, and bend over from the hips until your back is parallel with the floor... This creates a great amount of tension / stretch in the hamstrings. I've done them heavy (225 lbs x 5) but i personally feel I get more out of them in the lower weight / higher rep ranges (recently did 155 x 10 for 3 sets)

You'll get what I mean once you watch a video.

Edit: beat me to it solly
Sounds like almost all back to me. I must be imagining it wrong. I won't doubt you guys until after I've seen a couple videos and tried this myself though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Trust me, a video will display proper form but you have to perform the lift and then you'll understand the muscles it is working
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Sounds like almost all back to me. I must be imagining it wrong. I won't doubt you guys until after I've seen a couple videos and tried this myself though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
if definitely works the back but not nearly as much as a regular deadlift.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use