E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #2581
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Y'all need to get some cash together for your boy. He's already blown the $300k you gave him last year.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #2582
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Judge: Zimmerman defense can't depose Trayvon Martin family attorney

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4304478.story

Quote:
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

3:35 p.m. EST, February 22, 2013

SANFORD - Attorneys for the state and George Zimmerman were back in court today for a hearing in his second-degree murder case.

The judge ruled against the defense on the primary issue at today's hearing: A request to depose Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon Martin's parents.

Zimmerman was not at today's hearing, which ended about 3 p.m.

In October, Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson ordered Crump to answer a very limited number of questions about an interview he recorded in March of one of the state's most important witnesses, a young Miami woman who was on the phone with Trayvon moments before he was shot.

Crump, though, hired an attorney and asked the judge to reverse her decision.

Crump argued that what he knows should be protected by attorney-client privilege. In addition, he said he has already provided all of the information ordered by the judge.

At today's hearing, Zimmerman attorney Don West argued that Crump "made himself a witness, someone with relevant information in this case, by virtue of his participation" in the interview with the young woman.

"She has been cloaked in mystery since the beginning of this, her age has been misrepresented" by Crump, West argued. He said Crump claimed the girl was 16 at the time of the shooting, when actually she was 18.

Nelson, however, told the defense lawyer that he must show that Crump has relevant information, and that deposing him is necessary to get it.

"He is an attorney and he is representing the family that is opposition" to the defense, Nelson said, referring to Crump's claim of privilege.

Crump's attorney argued next, telling the judge there was no reason to depose Crump. An affidavit he provided covered everything relevant, attorney Bruce Blackwell said.

"You take the deposition of a lawyer as an absolute last resort," Blackwell said.

Ultimately, the judge ruled that the defense failed to show Crump had relevant information that could overcome his privilege as an attorney.

"He interviewed a witness, he was not there when the [shooting] occurred," Nelson said. "He was not an eyewitness to it."

Nelson granted a second defense motion, which sought to force Trayvon's parents and girlfriend to give defense attorneys all recordings they have of Trayvon's voice from the past three years. The state didn't object to that request.

The judge was also asked to decide whether to require prosecutors to give defense attorneys the home addresses of Trayvon's mother, father, brother, girlfriend and a handful other witnesses.

The state opposed that request. Nelson ruled that the defense will have to get the information during depositions, not from the state, and it will remain non-public.

Zimmerman is the 29-year-old Neighborhood Watch volunteer awaiting trial on a second-degree murder charge. He killed Trayvon, an unarmed black 17-year-old, Feb. 26 in Sanford, setting off protests rallies across the country.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 02-22-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361567731
phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #2583
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
That's interesting. I assume the defense wanted to depose Crump in order to spot any possible inconsistencies or later changes in the Miami woman's story.

Privilege certainly needs to be protected. But I thought anyone could be deposed at any time, I'm surprised to read that a judge would say "you can't depose person X".

- Bestop briefcase

----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 03-26-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Lousy spelling
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #2584
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
I love when this thread is bumped so we can all be reminded what a fool Lair is.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #2585
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Bumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-23-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361628952
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #2586
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
That's interesting. I assume the defense wanted to depose Crump in order to spot any possible inconsistencies or later changes in the Miami woman's story.

Privilege certain needs to be protected. But I thought anyone could be deposed at any time, I'm surprised to read that a judge would say "you can't depose person X".
It makes a whole lot of sense to prevent deposing person X if that person isn't directly related to the case at hand.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #2587
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I love when this thread is bumped so we can all be reminded what a fool Lair is.
Bump

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #2588
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Lol
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #2589
phrozen06
NA V8

I year anniversary of the death of the person standing his ground

Provided is the link to the defense fund of his killer.

http://www.gzdefensefund.com/donate/

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #2590
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Provided is the link to the defense fund of his killer.

http://www.gzdefensefund.com/donate/
Thanks for the link.

This is the first I've heard of the timing between the pre-trial Self Defense hearing the scheduling of the potential trial:

Quote:
George’s trial has been set for June of 2013. A Self-Defense Immunity Hearing is likely to happen two months before then.

- Bestop briefcase

----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #2591
mtgswede

My Ride: '13 335ixdriveMsport
Treyvon is still dead? Bummer. Didn't he vote for Obama in November?
mtgswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #2592
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:
..Zimmerman Stuns Court, Waives Right to 'Stand Your Ground' Hearing in Trayvon Martin Case

By SENI TIENABESO and MATT GUTMAN | ABC News – 9 hrs ago
Tue, Feb 5, 2013

George Zimmerman's attorneys stunned court observers Tuesday when they waived their client's right to a "Stand Your Ground" hearing slated for April that might have led to a dismissal of the charges in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin a year ago.

However, the defense lawyers didn't say whether they would waive the immunity hearing outright. They left open the possibility for that hearing to be rolled into Zimmerman's second degree murder trial. Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain in his Florida subdivision, shot and killed the teen, who was visiting a house in the area.

The move allows the defense more time to prepare for the trial this summer, but also raises the stakes.

Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law entitles a person to use deadly force if he believes his life is threatened, and absolves them of an obligation to retreat from a confrontation, even if retreat is possible.

In recent weeks, the Zimmerman defense has suffered several legal setbacks. Judge Debra Nelson has ruled in favor of the state that Zimmerman's bail conditions should not be loosened, and that Trayvon Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump was not required to sit for a deposition about his interactions with the state's most important witness, a young woman who was the last known person to speak with Trayvon Martin before his death on February 26 2012.

It was the defense's legal maneuvering which put Judge Nelson on the bench in this murder trial. Last summer Zimmerman's team successfully argued that the previous judge, Kenneth Lester, was unfit to preside over the trial after a caustic bail ruling where he blasted Zimmerman for misleading the court about his financial situation.

Zimmerman contends that he shot and killed the 17-year-old Martin after the teen confronted him as he walked to his father's girlfriend's house. Were Judge Nelson to have accepted his account under Stand Your Ground, all criminal proceedings would have immediately stopped, and Zimmerman would have walked free.

But another unfavorable ruling by Nelson could have been interpreted by jurors as a sign of guilt. Waiving the hearing could also prevent the prosecution from picking apart Zimmerman's testimony.

Before the April hearing was waived, Zimmerman's defense set out to attack the credibility of witness 8, arguably the key witness in the upcoming trial.

Defense attorney Donald West asked the court for more information about the allegedly false account she gave attorneys. According to records obtained by ABC News she was on the phone with Martin as his confrontation with Zimmerman began. She claims he told her that he was scared of a strange man following him.

The state admitted that witness 8 lied when she stated that she did not attend Martin's funeral because of a medical issue and that there are no medical records to support that claim. The defense wanted Nelson to question prosecutors about how they first learned that this claim was not true, but Nelson refused.

The defense also asked for law enforecement biographies of both Zimmerman and Martin, in particular Martin's social media history. "It's time and money to get some of the information here and we are running out of both," said West.

In an earlier hearing the judge ruled that Zimmerman's defense could subpoena Martin's social media history but the undertaking is timely and expensive. Authorities agreed to hand over the documents to the judge so that she could review them and determine if the defense should have them.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #2593
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Dont know the law well enough to make sense of this.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #2594
phrozen06
NA V8

Witness 8 gives false statements. Instead of saying she was at the hospital why didn't she just say she was at home with her other boyfriend. Zimmerman's gonna walk.

Last edited by phrozen06; 03-06-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #2595
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Witness 8 gives false statements. Instead of saying she was at the hospital why didn't she just say she was at home with her other boyfriend. Zimmerman's gonna walk.
I'm shocked that his girlfriend would be an unreliable witness

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #2596
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm shocked that his girlfriend would be an unreliable witness
I agree and I was shocked when Zimmerman and his wife lied about the money they made from the website and spoke in code on the phone to conceal it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #2597
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
I agree and I was shocked when Zimmerman and his wife lied about the money they made from the website and spoke in code on the phone to conceal it.
They are clearly Florida dumb fcks

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2598
mtgswede

My Ride: '13 335ixdriveMsport
Don't worry, Obama will kill them with a drone strike as soon as Rand stops talking on the floor.

Last edited by mtgswede; 03-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
mtgswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #2599
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgswede View Post
Don't worry, Obama will kill them with a drone strike as soon as Rand stops talking on the floor.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #2600
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgswede View Post

/thread