E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
willmkent

My Ride: Taurus
Average yearly maintenance cost

Hey all!

quick question for the veterans here! Those who have had your E46's for quite some time, how much would you say your average yearly maintenance cost is on your bmw's

Thanks

-Will
willmkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Bahahahaha troller haha

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
oh boy, here we go again!

As much as you want to spend. Big debates on this in here as you'll see. Set aside around $1,000 a year if you can, if you DIY. If not, forget it, keep driving the Taurus.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
willmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6 View Post
oh boy, here we go again!

As much as you want to spend. Big debates on this in here as you'll see. Set aside around $1,000 a year if you can, if you DIY. If not, forget it, keep driving the Taurus.
damn, i mean I thought that was somewhat of a myth. I know this thread is probably beating a dead horse but, it cant be that much. what needs to be done other than regular oil changes and proper flushes of the systems at certain intervals. I have enough money to do whats proper on these cars, I just cant find the explanation to the dollar amounts that I read about.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
I bought my car 2 moths ago, so far I've spent $450 on maintenance and repairs. It all depends on how your car was maintained in the past, whether
you can do the repairs, how much you drive, etc. Post more info!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
willmkent

well, so the E46 im looking at seems well maintained, VCG, coolant system flush, proper oil changes, thermostat have all been maintenance and or replaced. 105,000 miles on the car. and everything works like the windows, all switches, heated seats, radio, heat, and AC Im expecting to put some new and nice suspension on it but at its current condition, im expecting to just drive it an enjoy it. I mean sure, things could come up and need to be replaced, but how much more can really go wrong if the car was taken care of?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Brakes and tires are high $$ items that are also wear items. They will skew the average up when they need replacing. I would agree with the $1,000/yr ($80/mo, how much do you spend on gas?).

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
wildirish317

^to clarify, budget (put aside) $80/mo. Then you have it when you need it.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
^to clarify, budget (put aside) $80/mo. Then you have it when you need it.
That's a pretty smart idea. What's stupid is why I don't do this with most everything...it'd save a hell of a lot of stress.

Birthday fund, Christmas fund, etc. I should start doing that.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
willmkent

putting away $80 per month sounds like a good idea. I can easily manage that. I think thats completely fair, thanks guys thats a good idea

It's pretty much 1000 per year, but when put like that it sounds so much more manageable.

Last edited by willmkent; 03-07-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
That's a pretty smart idea. What's stupid is why I don't do this with most everything...it'd save a hell of a lot of stress.

Birthday fund, Christmas fund, etc. I should start doing that.
It's a bit off topic, but after we bought our first house, we realized that there were some expenses that came up a couple of times a year (car insurance, for one) that we didn't have money from our regular paycheck to cover. So we opened a second checking account (our budget account). Into this went everything we could quantify in a year: house payment, insurance, gasoline, memberships, etc. We would take the total annual amountof these items, divide it by the number of pay periods per year, and put that amount in our budget account every paycheck. It's simple, and it works.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
willmkent

nice management for that. Quick question though, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but, you guys have years that dont require maintenance right, i mean... its not like these cars are on a constant fix rate. Say all preventative maintenance is performed at the 10k mark, could one hit around 120k without any issues, or are they litterally in the shop at least once a year? (besides oil changes)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Had my car for 4yrs and 6mo. Cost is averaged to 102 per month.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
willmkent

I like what the car has to offer, however im beginning to learn that BMW love is why the maintenance is paid, would this be a correct statement?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
wildirish317

Read my signature, does it apply?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Maintenance cost for what. 330? 325? M3?

It's a used car. Pick a number. Maintenance costs can vary wildly depending on age, mileage, and service history.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
I always do a big tune up when I first buy a used car to start a baseline. Then wait for something to break. Not much #SWAGG in waiting on the side of the highway for a tow truck so i'm trying to address the weak points of the E46. I'll be in for a grand very soon if i'm not already in maintenance.

Last edited by Adionik; 03-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmkent View Post
nice management for that. Quick question though, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but, you guys have years that dont require maintenance right, i mean... its not like these cars are on a constant fix rate. Say all preventative maintenance is performed at the 10k mark, could one hit around 120k without any issues, or are they litterally in the shop at least once a year? (besides oil changes)
There are no years that require no maintenance. Oil/air filters will always be done, unless you drive less than 5000 miles per year. Even then, you should change the oil. You can take a car from zero to 120k without maintenance, but that will probably be the end of the car's useful life. No manufacturer has a "lifetime" oil, and 120k miles without an oil change will kill any engine. If you DIY all the recommended maintenance items (for BMW, per Bentley), your car should never be in the shop.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmkent View Post
damn, i mean I thought that was somewhat of a myth. I know this thread is probably beating a dead horse but, it cant be that much. what needs to be done other than regular oil changes and proper flushes of the systems at certain intervals. I have enough money to do whats proper on these cars, I just cant find the explanation to the dollar amounts that I read about.
$1000 / year really isn't a lot. I would be really happy if that's all my maintenance cost me.

On both my ZHP and M3, I went through a set of tires a year, and that's about $1200 each time. And there's plenty of other crap to do on top of the tires

I'd say I averaged $2000/year on the ZHP and $3k / year on the M3. And at least with the M3, it doesn't look like that figure will let down any time soon. I'm going to have to do my control arms and bushings soon. I really should do a subframe reinforcement. I have a valveadjustment coming up in 7k miles. And by the time I fix all that stuff, I'll probably have to change the clutch, knowing my luck.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-07-2013 at 10:36 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote