E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
wcoszhp2003

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Please help, PA Soft 1.4.0 Scanner

So iv exhausted a lot of time and a small amount of resources so far trying to get this all to work with no luck. First off i drive a 2003 330I ZHP and consider myself a pretty smart guy when it comes to doing DIY's for this car and other cars, so i wouldn't be on here asking for help unless i have exhausted all the possibility's i know of to get this working, and i have tried the search button trust me, but anyway, I purchased PA soft 1.4.0 BMW Scanner from xcar360.com and received a month later, I also purchased a 90's-early 2000's windows XP laptop to support the program. When i received the scanner it was fully intact in good condition but the driver disc was broken in half. I went on the forums and found several different forums all directing me to this site www.bmw-scanner.com to download the drivers, which i did. I have followed the instructions that i have found in many different threads to try to apply the drivers that i have downloaded to run the scanner. I also have the scanner program on my computer and that works fine but i just cant get the dam drivers to work to run the device. I have went into device manager and manually tried to search the folders for any proper drivers with no luck. It just says that windows cant find any drivers for this device in the folder. My computer recognizes the device as BMW Scanner V14X too. I just don't seem to have the right drivers or need to modify the drivers for my device.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I am currently in Northeast PA but am moving to Long beach NY in the next 3 weeks. So anyone in either of those areas that could give me hands on help if i cant sort this out would be awesome.
wcoszhp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
wcoszhp2003

Anyone?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
why did you buy another laptop? or you didn't have one at all? if you had w7 pro, i would just run it under xp mode. that's what i did.

but maybe describe what you did exactly? cause even you say you read the directions and followed it, you might have comprehended it wrong and did something different lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
wcoszhp2003

I bought another laptop because i work on a lot of different cars and i wanted to make it like my "car computer" and have different scanner programs on it. I have vista on my regular laptop. Could I run it on xp mode on there? If so how do I do that? Iv heard about doing that but just never tried to do it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Go to device manager and start the update driver wizard for the dongle. I'm assuming from here you've been using "Search automatically for updated driver software". DONT.

Instead select "Browse my computer for drivers software". From here you're probably choosing a folder and clicking next. DONT.

Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". From here I think it will ask you what kind of device from the list, there should be an option for "Other" or something like that. The next window should have a button for "Have disk". Click that shit and NOW point it at your driver folder.

That should get you sorted. Try different copies of the driver if you have to. It should just work.

You may have to have the dongle hooked up to your cars odbII port too, I can't remember.

Good luck.

edit: I don't think XP mode is required to launch and run BMW Scanner. Pretty sure I've got it running on 32bit Windows 7 natively.

Last edited by jamex; 03-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
wcoszhp2003

Yes, I was choosing the folder and hitting next so hopefully that was my problem. I will try this all again the right way and post back my results. Thanks so much!!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
jamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoszhp2003 View Post
Yes, I was choosing the folder and hitting next so hopefully that was my problem. I will try this all again the right way and post back my results. Thanks so much!!
Yeah, its not that you did anything wrong. Windows "should" detect and install the correct drivers the way you tried but I've found sometimes you have to forcefeed down its throat this very specific way and it will yield a different result.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
sillieidiot

it's not required for 32bit, but it does for 64bit. i would run it regardless though, just cause it's like a clean install.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
wcoszhp2003

Got it working on both my computers. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Did you guys have to solder together pins 7 and 8 (k-line) on the usb-obd2 cable? I've seen some threads on this forum and others that say this is a must....

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
jamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4DY View Post
Did you guys have to solder together pins 7 and 8 (k-line) on the usb-obd2 cable? I've seen some threads on this forum and others that say this is a must....

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
I ordered the correct dongle along with PA Soft online and didn't have to modify anything. If you're using some generic usb -> ODB2 cable then it likely requires modification.

edit: felt i should clarify. i did not spend $600 on a dongle + software. if you're willing to spend $50 you're all set.

Last edited by jamex; 03-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
I ordered the correct dongle along with PA Soft online and didn't have to modify anything. If you're using some generic usb -> ODB2 cable then it likely requires modification.

edit: felt i should clarify. i did not spend $600 on a dongle + software. if you're willing to spend $50 you're all set.
great answer.....

OBD2ToolBox
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Just to update: I soldered the pins together and now it works. Found out the car came with a "smokers package." Interesting...
I downloaded the RomRaider (OpenECU) logger to see what it can read (if anything). I'll update this post tomorrow with what I find out.
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
sillieidiot

smokers package is when you have a cigarette lighter and ash tray in the front under the sunglass holder. which i think most cars come with lol

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
kalikidd6600

My Ride: 323i
Angry need help going crazy scanner 1.4.0

Howdy one and all. I have read all 50+ pages plus many on bimmerfest but nothing seems to help. I got a scanner off EBAY for my 2000 323i. It came with a mini disk with everything. I have installed the drivers (shows o bytes used for memory. And the program, first time I connected it it could not read anything, uninstalled. Went to PA Soft and downloaded the trial version went thru and installed that version, Now it says device not ready. I let it sit for a beer break tried it again and still says device not ready. I am using a older dell laptop with XP pro, no anti virus no inter web, I even tried a different cable than came with it. After three days I am about to go insane, set it up on a buddies comp and worked the first time. Any thoughts as to what moronic thing I am doing wrong?
kalikidd6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
jamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikidd6600 View Post
Howdy one and all. I have read all 50+ pages plus many on bimmerfest but nothing seems to help. I got a scanner off EBAY for my 2000 323i. It came with a mini disk with everything. I have installed the drivers (shows o bytes used for memory. And the program, first time I connected it it could not read anything, uninstalled. Went to PA Soft and downloaded the trial version went thru and installed that version, Now it says device not ready. I let it sit for a beer break tried it again and still says device not ready. I am using a older dell laptop with XP pro, no anti virus no inter web, I even tried a different cable than came with it. After three days I am about to go insane, set it up on a buddies comp and worked the first time. Any thoughts as to what moronic thing I am doing wrong?
you need to actually hook up the scanner to your car to ready the device and get past that screen....otherwise the scanner doesn't get any power. give that a try and report back.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
kalikidd6600

I have had it plugged in to the data port under dash, I how ever also found out I need to have the car running for some reason. I tried at post. 1 but get error cannot connect to ike and another error for ews. I took apart the scanner to see if pins 1 & 2 with 7 & 8 were connected and they are but still no ZKE function.
Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
kalikidd6600

Have a thought but not sure, my car was built 9/99 and was told maybe the 20 pin cable under hood might be needed. I have went to autozone and they never had any problems but then again I have not had any errors, just tring to tweek my car.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Please help, PA Soft 1.4.0 Scanner

You need the 20 connector adapter to use pasoft

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Re: Please help, PA Soft 1.4.0 Scanner

Terra and I have found a way around the 20 pin connection.

Just jump pins 17 - 2 - 20. It should look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1369356769144.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	507235

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Tags
1.4.0, dme, pa soft, scanner