E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
kevind2002

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Adaptive headlights, and warning light

Hi All,

I've been trying to research this issue, and have done so unsuccessfully. All my lights are powering on as they should, turn signals, as well as high and low beams. However, the adaptive headlights are not cycling up or down when powered on, and they are not actively turning. Would this cause a headlight warning light? Thanks in advance for the help.
kevind2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
kevind2002

Checked fuses, and pulled out the LCM to give it a visual inspection to make sure nothing was blatantly wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? The warning light stays on when I don't have the adaptive lights on either. Just the standard lights being on throws the same warning. Fog lights work fine. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
kevind2002

No cream? Okay, no cream.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I'll give some cream as best as I can.

Not too familiar with the adaptive headlights, but my car has auto leveling which is controlled by two sensors on the controls arms. it's possible one or both have failed/broke on your car.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
when you are doing the checks, are you switching it to auto mode? not the regular on position. the adaptive turning only works in the auto position. as for the leveling, i guess it would check to make sure it's plugged in properly and no breaks in the wiring. then check the sensors on the passenger side of the control arms. if all of those are fine, it could be the motors themselves. also, just so you know, the auto-leveling doesn't happen every time you turn on the headlights/car. it's better to drive around to see if it's functioning.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
kevind2002

Thank you both for the input. I am aware they need to be in the auto position, as that is the setting I use 99% of the time. But I can definitely tell they are not tracking at all when I am turning. I will have to check those connections this weekend I suppose. I hope I don't need to remove the bumper to do so. Here is a pic of the warning light:

The warning light comes on whether I am in the auto setting or normal setting. Its very weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	494323  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
sillieidiot

hmm, those warnings usually mean that a bulb is out in the headlight somewhere. either the corners, highs, or lows. the adaptive malfunction warning is a blinking green light on the LCM switch (that little dot next to the auto position)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
kevind2002

That's what I thought. So odd. Both highs and lows work on the HID's. My halogen high beams work fine as well. All side-markers, running lights and fog lights work too.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
kevind2002

I've never seen the green LED blink at me either.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
sillieidiot

yea that is weird. have you tried taking the ground off the battery for like 5 mins or so to see if that would "reset" the problem?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
kevind2002

I will try that tonight or tomorrow and update you.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
kevind2002

So I disconnected the ground. And that f*}%ing worked. I'm the silly idiot apparently.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
kevind2002

Never mind. I drove around a bit making a few stops, and it has since come back on. When it was working, the adaptive lights were running just fine. So frustrated.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
sillieidiot

hmm, have you done anything recently to the car before this happened? any install? coding? i feel like this is a grounding issue. and those headlights are on because there are actually no lights detected at the front because of the bad ground.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
kevind2002

No mods at all. I have a Peake R5-FCX-3 code reader that I can use to clear the fault codes. But I plugged it in to see if it detected anything, and it did not. I've had the car for about 4 years now. When I first purchased it, a headlight went out. I bought new ones, and they still did not work. Took it to the dealership 3 times with them not fixing it, after replacing the wiring harness and the whole bad headlight unit. But since then, no problems ever. So everything is fine after I disconnect the battery, and turn it on. But then after I stop it and turn it back on, the error reads again. This is odd. I am not great when it comes to electrical items for sure.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
sillieidiot

yeah electrical problems are like the hardest to fix imo. have you tried replacing the lcms at all? maybe swap with a local fanatic (no tamper dot if you don't drive anywhere). then you can do the turning on the car, test headlights, turn it off and see if the code pops up. that's the only way i know to test an LCM short of buying a new one lol

probably try looking at the wires and see if there is a break anywhere. and also clean the OEM ground points. they are located behind the headlight so you'll have to remove them.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
kevind2002

Sorry if I didn't say it before, but thanks for all your input.

Tags
adaptive, headlights, hid