E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin_name View Post
How do you determine revs? Sorry if this is a dumb question or not. I have staggered wheel set from my other e46 and wanted to put them on the xi... They are within about 5mm of each other when calculating side wall diameters.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Bimmer App
Roll them
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
gferrer

My Ride: '91 318is/ '03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
I like the roof, how did you deal with the moon roof? I don't see any evidence of it. Right now mine is sealed shut because it's broken and I think the CF would look good against the Stahlgrau.
Wrapped roof looks good against steel grey. I did mine in black tho. I have some old pictures of my car, and some pointers on how to deal with the moon roof. If your interested shoot me a pm.

Sorry for threadjack op

Good looking car...
gferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
Quote:
How do you determine revs? Sorry if this is a dumb question or not. I have staggered wheel set from my other e46 and wanted to put them on the xi... They are within about 5mm of each other when calculating side wall diameters.

Go to Tirerack and check the specs on the tires you're running, the revs per mile are listed there.

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #24
devin_name

My Ride: 2004 325i
Okay that makes more sense than rolling them. Rolling seems pretty unscientific especially with a staggered set up when you consider how much distortion is caused by the actual weight of the car when the wheels are mounted.

devin_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBEAU View Post
yep amazing aint it lol long as the tires are same rolling diameter within a percentage
I was being sarcastic. Everything you posted has been completely vetted for years on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
And whats that percentage ??
2-3% tops.

Quote:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Go to Tirerack and check the specs on the tires you're running, the revs per mile are listed there.
I don't think tire rack states this information so I could be wrong. Either way, the above link saves you from doing the math.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
Bigjule111

My Ride: 06 530xi
For the rears do u prefer 255/40/18 or 275/35/18? Thanks
Bigjule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ Your car is completely different from the E46 in terms of wheel sizes and offsets so I'm not sure.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
XI has an open center diff. Run whatever wheel sizes you want and it's probably not going to create any issue.

Last edited by TiAgXi; 03-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
So Xi owners can run staggered tires and lowering suspension parts and not implode their drive train??????

GASP!
Who knew??

Also may help deep snow handling rolling wads under the car instead of riding over it. I'm gonna let a bunch of air out of my tires for a budget low look.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
XI has an open center diff. Run whatever wheel sizes you want and it's probably not going to create any issue.
Except DSC would probably freak out. Right?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
devin_name

Hey guys can somebody help me out... Internet is down and tirerack is a pain from phone... Will i have issues running staggered on my xi... Sizes are 215/40 front and 225/40 rear. They are pretty close when calculating... Just wondering if "revs" are close enough. Thank guys.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #32
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
guys please no joking again please ok ??
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #33
devin_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
I'm not really sure exactly what you are trying to say. I'm not even sure if you are referencing my post or not considering the fact that you don't indicate at any point what the "joking" is or isn't about. Not to mention the fact that the significant lack of punctuation makes it difficult to understand exactly what you are trying to say.
In either case I do feel as though I have a legitimate question. Per the OPs comments there is a certain range that is acceptable for tire diameters to vary either from side to side or front to back on an awd vehicle. The OP was kind enough to answer my last question and give his recommendation for the rev difference that is acceptable as a result to varying tire diameters... Further research varifies the OPs recommendation. My question was simply whether or not my two sizes would fall within the acceptable range of variance for an awd BMW vehicle.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #34
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
I think he's referencing that Asian person who was trying to sell flashlights on here a while back.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #35
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Hey guys can somebody help me out... Internet is down and tirerack is a pain from phone... Will i have issues running staggered on my xi... Sizes are 215/40 front and 225/40 rear. They are pretty close when calculating... Just wondering if "revs" are close enough. Thank guys.

Why would you attempt to "stagger" by one tire size and even with tire sizesbso small? 225/40s fit fine all the way around (I have them on my 330xi) and you can rotate tires properly without issue.

Staggered tires look stupid IMHO, especially on non-m's and without different sized rims.

Ymmv

Edit:re-read your posts and it seems you have staggered wheels, the size? 17x8 with 225/40's work fine on front and rear of mine, your offset will be the biggest determining factor. Not a lot of difference between 215 and 225, your speedo will be just fine.

Last edited by miweber929; 03-23-2013 at 08:05 AM.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
devin_name

Thanks for the reply. The reason for the staggered sizes is because I already have a different set of rims from my other E46. I'm getting ready to trade it in and want to keep the wheels for the xi. The tires are slightly different in width because I didn't quite like the feel when I was running a completely square set up. Steering feel and response is more to my liking running the 215/40 up front. Also, I should have mentioned that wheels are 18 x 8 all around. As for problems with my speedo... That is not the concern. The issue with running staggered sizes is that side wall hight typically varies front to back...meaning overall diameter is different. The difference in diameter means that each wheel takes a different number of revolutions to travel the same distance. This puts a slight strain on the differentials depending on how far off the diameters are. Overall this can lead to excessive drivetrain wear and eventually failure. Ideally... All four wheels and tires would have the exact same diameter leading to a perfect distribution of torque and power and even wear on the differentials. But manufacterers realize this is not realistic due to uneven tire wear... Flats... Etc. Therefore there is a certain range of variation that is acceptable per the manufacterer specifications.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
225's would turn 10-15 revolutions per mile faster than 215's. If you run higher psi on the 215's it should be closer. The transfer case can probably tolerate this.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
Iggy27

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Question!! I need some help. I have a 2003 330xi will aftermarket headers that fit on 2003 330i fit on my car? Or do xi cars have a different set up?
Iggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy27 View Post
Question!! I need some help. I have a 2003 330xi will aftermarket headers that fit on 2003 330i fit on my car? Or do xi cars have a different set up?
yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
nope, dsc freaks out and I'd imagine their would be an increase in heat build up in the transfer case from the gears excessively rotating on themselves to allow for the difference, if you see what i'm saying.

don't run staggared tires on xis, they already understeer enough as it is , lol
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #40
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
yes you can XI owners

I like your car and f the haters but that's a carbon "wrapped" roof, just like mine FTR...

If anyone can find actual cf sedan roof lemme know!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app