E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
E46 Hardtop M3 BLACK vs non-M3 CHROME mouldings

OKAY. So. i have a great lead on a 2005 HARDTOP in mint shape for a decent price,...it's even my same exterior colour. It comes with 2 OEM BMW stands, ground & garage mount, with pads, & cover. ALL COMPLETE WITH those EXTRAS !

.... BUT....it IS an M3, as I can tell by the BLACK side TRIM mouldings vs the non-M3 (323, 325, 330, etc) CHROME side TRIM mouldings.

So...I have a few Q's that I hope members can help. And, please excuse my ignorance, as I have never seen a hardtop up CLOSE. (This hardtop is out of town, ..a few hours....but before I plunk down the loot & drive for many hours... I need some insight.)

(1) I prefer the CHROME mouldings, as they flow nicer with the chrome of non-M3 'verts. Are these mouldings the SAME as the BLACK? ie. can I have them removed & have them anodized, or better...would a M3 owner trade me their CHROME mouldings for these, straight up? (What r the chances an M3 owner with a non-M3 hardtop would DO that?)

(2) Are these mouldings available anywhere?

(3) Are these moulding EASY to take off? (Anybody have close-up pics of how they are attached? Screws underside?)

(4) My car is equipped with HARDTOP "preparation" as determined by my VIN & BIMVIN website. Does this mean I STILL have to buy that EXTRA $200 kit on ebay? Will the latches/lights/etc all work w/no nasty disappointments?

(5) Being the SAME code 354 (Titanium Silber),..will it be near EXACT colour match as it has been stored INside, as well as my low-miler 325?

(6) Are there any other differences or surprises (M3 vs non-M3, or "hardtop-general stuff") I should know about?

THANKS in advance.

EDIT: 1 more last Q (for now)....I currently have the black COVERS in the back (interior car colour is black)....I know I have to take these off, but do they go back nicely in ...for summer no-hardtop driving? (I don't like the big holes that I see in the ebay kit, where it says something to the effect in 1 guy's auction, "PICTURE 4, if you don't have THIS, you do NOT have the hardtop prep kit"...which I think is wrong, b/c my car IS prepped for hardtop, per VIN...so I don't get it....??!?? ...& it shows the covers OFF...which looks kinds BAD if I have to remove those 'permanently', I prefer the covers IN when hardtop will be put away for summer.

Last edited by beeemerdude; 03-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
JuanK20

My Ride: Porsche 911
man i have chrome hardtop moldings i would to trade for black. but you're all the way in Canada
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Although the paint code is the same for titanium silver across all years, there are different variations. I found this out when I had my bumper first sprayed. They had to respray it.

No, you don't need the Kit since yours is already installed...

No difference in hardtops, it will pop right on. I sold mine to M3 owner....

And yes, you can buy the chrome, be prepared to spend big $$$

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=54&fg=20

BMW PN 54217032151 Left $226.74
BMW PN 54217032152 Right $226.74

And yes, you leave those covers in for the summer. Those need to pop out prior to installing the hardtop so the studs on the hardtop can pass thru that area. Depending on model year, they simply slide or pop out. Some pics can be found here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...op+install+kit

Item 11 or 19 depending on model year in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=51&fg=50

Last edited by fmzip; 04-18-2013 at 10:46 AM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Mr. Din

My Ride: e46 M
I have chrome moldings I would trade for black as well... I am about to get mine wrapped in black in a few weeks.